Sgt. Squarehead's T-35 m.1936 - Finished!

Looking really good Sarge - making me want to start mine even though I'm sucking badly at getting anything done on my group build stuff as I may have gotten a little sidetracked clearing some part built models!!

• Like 1

I'm doing the same Ben, had the 'Iraqi' Bf.110 back on the bench last night trying to peruade the Eduard shark-mouth decals to conform to the nose.....It did not end at all well. I've managed to sand all the shrivelled decal remnants off the nose-cone and repainted it:

ClosedUpMaskingJoy_zpslc8nizgy.jpg

That was (AFAIK) the last of my small shark-mouths that can be applied to the nosecone while it's still seperate, so if I cock it up again I'll be repainting the whole airframe. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I might be able to help with decals as I have an airfix sheet in the spares box which I think has shark mouths.

I'll have to dig it out in the morning as just put little un to bed and don't want disturb her.

Edited by badger
  • Like 1

Cheers Ben.....I actually have the Airfix set for my backup (always have a backup), but they are larger and extend onto the main fuselage. I'm just waiting on some Humbrol RLM colours at the moment (thought I'd give 'em a look, hence my renewed interest in this one). If you could keep your Airfix set in reserve it might prove a godsend later, yesterday was my first ever effort with MicroSol and as I said, it really didn't end at all well. TBH I'm dreading repeating the process with the nosecone attached to the fuselage and the four mgs in place, it sounds like a recipe for disaster. :shutup:

No worries Sarge - let me know if you need it and good luck for the build.

I'll try and post a photo of what I've been up to tomorrow.

Edited by badger
  • Like 1

It's all going swimmingly Ben.....Looking at the picture I decided the nose needed another squirt or two of white, so I gave it a quick spray. :pipe:

Then I dropped it. :doh:

In the dog-bed! :suicide:

So.....Two steps backward rather than the usual one, but things proceed much as normal! :wall:

• Like 1

All fixed now and protected with a wonderful modelling tool:

OmNomFixedNom_zps86syh3rm.jpg

They come six to a pack.....Filled with yummy desserts! :eat:

PS - The observant amongst you will have noticed I had two.....They really are that good! :D

PPS - Apologies for dragging my own thread completely :offtopic:

• Like 3

Keep going Comrade Sargent Berlin waits.

The tracks don't look too bad actually I think you may be seeing much more than the rest of us. However would I ever buy one of these kits? NO! I'd rather scratch-build in 48th than try and modify 72nd. You have my complete admiration for sticking with it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Cheers.....I like doing daft aircrew! :winkgrin:

The tracks don't look too bad actually I think you may be seeing much more than the rest of us.

It's the transition from reasonably detailed (the inner surface isn't great on any of the track but I just couldn't face scribing all the link demarcations) to utterly plain that does my head in, on a base it might look OK, but I hate basing AFVs unless they are for an old style 'ground-scale' game. None of the games that I currently like are even remotely of that nature. :confused:

• Like 1

No worries Sarge - let me know if you need it and good luck for the build.

I'll try and post a photo of what I've been up to tomorrow.

Well it wasn't tomorrow but here's a couple of photos as to why I haven't been up to much on my GPW builds. Apologies if this is off topic- I can remove if wanted.

28866191380_eb985dbd1e_z.jpg

28531601424_e13bb91b61_z.jpg

Hasegawa kit with additional bits and bobs

Ben

• Like 1

That's looking damned fine Ben.....Good choice replacing the skinny Hasegawa gun. :thumbsup:

Which wheels did you use.....I thought Hasegawa's were pretty good (at a casual glance). :shrug:

I like threads that wander a bit.....It adds character! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi Sarge

Thanks for that - didn't want people thinking I'd been idle!

The wheels are Attacks - I bought several sets years ago from ebay to use on Roden kits, but they are actually meant for Hasegawa.

The kit wheels are pretty decent and I wouldn't have replaced them had I not already had these in.

It seemed easier to use them on this and donate the multi-part kit wheels to a Roden 234/1 as modification is needed to fit either to the Roden axle and I would rather do this with plastic rather than resin.

Plus they made a change!

Just been out to primer it and I collect the airbrush adapter I need tomorow so paint may not be too far away.

Ben

Edited by badger

I've just discovered that OKB Grigorov have quietly released a set of replacement tracks for this kit.....My irritaion levels have just peaked out! :chair:

It's on the bench ready for paint, but it's equally likely to exit via a window the way I feel about it right now.....Stupid half-baked S-Model POS, god how I hate QB kits and I've bought loads of the silly bloody things! :doh:

Gutted for you Sarge.

Don't know when they came out as I didn't know about them (or I would have said).

Checked his site and there's a lot I didn't know about. Damn!!

Ben

I think they probably appeared about 30 seconds after I finished assembling the running gear.....I'm over it now and will paint the thing shortly. :confused:

Did I mention that I think S-Model kits are a bit 'Half-Baked'.....I can't really recommend them at all as they satisfy nobody OOTB. The silly fiddly parts will irritate wargamers who are after genuine QB kits and the awful track runs pretty much guarantee display modellers will immediately be looking for aftermarket replacements, if they are lucky they will find them before they build their kits. :rolleyes:

PS - I consider myself to be essentailly a wargamer with strong display modelling tendencies (I actually enjoy building L&L tracks), so these things really give me the heebies! :chair:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So here's where we're at:

T-35%201936%20-%2018_zpsjkoia6ba.jpg

Assuming I got everything with the preshade/grime-layer, tomorrow we 4BO (or XF-63 in my case). :winkgrin:

This thing eats enormous amounts of paint.....The preshade/grime-layer took a whole cup from my Revell Vario. :rolleyes:

For the benefit of the PlaStixes.....In the photo above you can see my entire airbrush cleaning and stripping kit (minus the sink and the kitchen roll) and the entire space I have to deploy it in, ie: it gets done in my booth, just like everything else. :poke:

• Like 4

Nice to see this under way again Sarge (although I have been enjoying boaty mctankface).

Shame about the tracks but it's still an awesome tank.

I know what you mean about the QB trend that seems to be taking over braille scale.

Whilst I'm a display modeller I can see the need for genuine QB kits for wargaming. It's hugely irritating that companies (hobbyboss, s-model etc) offer half and half kits that satisfy no one.

In my opinion Italeri got it right by offering optional QB parts in standard kits (dukw, m8 etc).

I'll crawl back into my cave now!

Looking foward to the green.

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 1

Cheers Ben, those are some great images.....This one is almost perfect:

Soviet-tanks-lie-abandoned-after-fightin

Looks like I could have got away without fitting the radio ariel and should probably have added an AAMG mount! :doh:

I've sprayed another layer of brown grime onto the model since the last pictures.....The structure of this thing is very complex so I want to be absolutely sure that the worst that may be seen in any nooks and crevices that I miss with the basecoat will be grot & grime, rather than Halfords Grey Primer. :pipe:

• Like 2

Much better.....Since the unfortunate incident with the Kleinebefehlspanzer, I've had no problems at all. Just wish black or muddy brown were available as colour options. :winkgrin:

I think I've finally got all the nooks and crevices covered (there are just so many on this thing) and I'm ready to proceed with the green. :coolio:

You could always model it like this: http://www.asisbiz.com/Battles/Barbarossa/images/German-soldiers-pose-for-a-photo-against-a-Soviet-T-35-tank-abandoned-after-a-battle-01.jpg (from the same series of pictures).

That would hide the lower tracks nicely!

Tempting.....Still annoyed about the tracks, TBH I could still replace them at some point in the future, so all is not completely lost, but I'd have used them from the start if I'd known about them. :confused:

Good to see more progress Sarge despite the issues. It looks good in it's pre-shading.

Mrs PlaStix and I thank you for the photo showing us your airbrush cleaning and stripping kit. Interestingly the only bits you didn't include in the photo (the sink and kitchen roll) are all we require for cleaning our paint brushes!! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1