An Alternative Ilyushin - ICM IL-62M in Interflug Livery

Ah, Interflug... takes me back to Gatwick airport, 3 August 1980... I used Interflug through the East German travel agency Berolina for my two-week package holiday to see 'the other side', as I'd already been to West Germany twice.  Admittedly, it was the Tu-134 then, but the colour scheme always brings back memories :-).

A-Model do the Tupolev, which isn't my area of German aviation, but I am always tempted to buy it, for posterity.  There seems to have been a tri-motor version, but I think mine was the twin-engined variant.  I do wish I could find out the exact version and codes of the aircraft I flew in.  It seems not to have been commonplace to see a Tu-134 at Gatwick, or anywhere else, for that matter - they seem to have been thin on the ground as opposed to the Il-62.

Notwithstanding, a lovely build, Dave... very eye-catching... :-).

Regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It was a pleasant surprise to see this five year old thread being revived. :)

I'm suffering from flagging morale at the moment due to an excessive number of stalled or messed up builds and I'm eyeing the other ICM IL-62 in my stash as a possible quick, easy, mojo-restoring OOB build. if I go down that route it will probably emerge as Tarom since Air Koryo is now represented in my collection by a Tu-204.

@BerndM Just in case you missed it, if you do buy the kit you need to reshape the nose which ICM have got wrong - it looks like an IL-18 rather than an IL-62. It's an easy fix with Milliput or similar but you really must do it otherwise the model will look wrong.

Dave G

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Thanks guys. It was a pleasant surprise to see this five year old thread being revived. :)

I'm suffering from flagging morale at the moment due to an excessive number of stalled or messed up builds and I'm eyeing the other ICM IL-62 in my stash as a possible quick, easy, mojo-restoring OOB build. if I go down that route it will probably emerge as Tarom since Air Koryo is now represented in my collection by a Tu-204.

@BerndM Just in case you missed it, if you do buy the kit you need to reshape the nose which ICM have got wrong - it looks like an IL-18 rather than an IL-62. It's an easy fix with Milliput or similar but you really must do it otherwise the model will look wrong.

Dave G

I run yesterday into this post while i was looking for a Zvezda Il-62. I have noticed the issue with the nose, otherwise it looks like a fine kit.

My airliner builds have all stalled but i have recovered them from the pile of doom. Maybe more here sooner or later.

Very nice!  I flew back to London from Singapore in a CSA one in the early '80s.  My main memory of the flight is of gigantic Czech stewardesses distributing almost equally gigantic bottles of Czech lager until I fell asleep......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, obdl3945 said:

Ah, Interflug... takes me back to Gatwick airport, 3 August 1980... I used Interflug through the East German travel agency Berolina for my two-week package holiday to see 'the other side', as I'd already been to West Germany twice.  Admittedly, it was the Tu-134 then, but the colour scheme always brings back memories :-).

A-Model do the Tupolev, which isn't my area of German aviation, but I am always tempted to buy it, for posterity.  There seems to have been a tri-motor version, but I think mine was the twin-engined variant.  I do wish I could find out the exact version and codes of the aircraft I flew in.  It seems not to have been commonplace to see a Tu-134 at Gatwick, or anywhere else, for that matter - they seem to have been thin on the ground as opposed to the Il-62.

Notwithstanding, a lovely build, Dave... very eye-catching... :-).

Regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul. If you do decide to buy a 1/144 Tu-134, I suggest you forget AModel and go for the Zvezda kit. It's an absolute beauty and a delight to build. Their Tu-154M (the three engined one) is also very nice.

Dave G

• Like 1

Hi Dave...

I've never built a Zvezda kit, but I've certainly got an A-Model kit in my collection - the military-version Luftwaffe Do26; certainly, it was challenging, but it is absolutely light years ahead of the old Mach2 offering, and for me, with a bit of perseverance, a lovely model when done.

The other thing I like about the A-Model Tu-134 is that it's in 1/72 scale, which would certainly make it stand out in the display cabinet!  🙂

Regards,

Paul

On 5/2/2021 at 5:24 PM, Skodadriver said:

Hi Dave...

I LOVE when old threads come back up for revival...especially when they are as lovely as yours are! I missed the original because I wasn't even a glimmer on the horizon in this forum in 2016. Sure am glad this has come back around...what a GREAT build. I must confess that I am not a huge fan of the Russian airliners, but YOU are changing my mind pretty quickly with your beautiful builds. This one is classic.

Sorry about your "flagging morale." You know as well or better than any of us that those little seasons come and go. I'm in one now myself. After building the two 727s together I am taking a hiatus for a while to regroup my head. It's good for the head as well as the soul...and also when there's yard work to do come spring time. :D

16 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Hi Dave...

I LOVE when old threads come back up for revival...especially when they are as lovely as yours are! I missed the original because I wasn't even a glimmer on the horizon in this forum in 2016. Sure am glad this has come back around...what a GREAT build. I must confess that I am not a huge fan of the Russian airliners, but YOU are changing my mind pretty quickly with your beautiful builds. This one is classic.

Sorry about your "flagging morale." You know as well or better than any of us that those little seasons come and go. I'm in one now myself. After building the two 727s together I am taking a hiatus for a while to regroup my head. It's good for the head as well as the soul...and also when there's yard work to do come spring time. :D

Thanks for your kind comments Paul.

We're all used to the occasional build going wrong but recently I seem to have messed up almost everything I've touched. I've also missed the discipline of having to finish models for the three shows where I normally exhibit, not to mention the fun of the actual exhibiting. Finishing my Brussels SSJ has helped and I have managed to get a couple of propliners to the decal stage. Once they are finished :pray: I'll do a quick and easy model, maybe another ICM IL-62 or something with a nice simple colour scheme.

Dave G

I hadn't realized this was a necro thread till I saw the last few comments, I've looked for ICM kits of this & they tend to be spendy compared to the Zvezda one so it looks like I'll brave the latter's complexity for the sake of my Scots heritage. ;)

Steve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I hadn't realized this was a necro thread till I saw the last few comments, I've looked for ICM kits of this & they tend to be spendy compared to the Zvezda one so it looks like I'll brave the latter's complexity for the sake of my Scots heritage. ;)

Steve.

That's interesting. In the UK the Zvezda kit sells for about £25 depending on retailer (Hannants want £26.99) but if you shop carefully you can get the ICM kit for somewhere around £18.

I didn't get many hits from the UK Dave, mainly eBay hits from the usual suspects in Eastern Europe. I'll try and spread my net a bit further. I'd be happy to do one in Aeroflot colours, I was wondering whether it would be possible to cut & shut the ICM decals to correct the door position. Afaics, it is the forward starboard door is too far forward?

Steve.

• Like 1

Sorry Steve I can't answer that with any confidence. I sent the decals from my stash kit to another Britmodeller about five years ago so I'm afraid I can't pull them out for a look. What I do remember is that ICM have made the right side of the fuselage and decals an exact mirror image of the left with the large main door while it should, of course, have a smaller door further back just ahead of the cabin windows. I think the door outlines are printed as part of the cheatlines so you would need some nifty scalpel work or a deft touch with the paintbrush. I'm sure it could be done but I can't really say how easy it would be or whether it would be less hassle just to fork out for a set of replacement decals.

Dave

• Thanks 1