Can propellant for airbrushes

TeeELL

I am hoping this will prove to be the correct place to post this question:

In a short while I will be off on holiday on my canal boat, I am signed-up for a GB so will be making an aircraft model during 'down time'. Space is a premium and I will be taking my spray booth but my compressor might be too much gear! I have used can propellant back in the day (small compressors used to be quite expensive back then) so I am reasonably aware of their shortcomings.

Has anybody tried to fit a pressure regulator, as used on a compressor, to a propellant can? Would it work to supply the 15psi I tend to use, would it help to reduce the likely hood of icing-up as the airbrush demands would be less, would it cause the propellant to last longer by reducing waste? Hmmmm rather more than one question methinks!

Thank you and I look forward to some constructive advise (in the meantime I will see if I can cobble together a suitable mechanism and give it a go.)

There is no reason why you couldn't use a MAC valve type device on one.

Will last longer if the propellant comes out slower, but will it stop it icing up, probably not you can try putting it in a bowl of warm water..

The problem is knowing how many cans of air to buy...if you are going to use more than 3 cans you'll probably be better off buying a small cheap chinese compressor. Or one of the small very portable sparmax ones.

Paul

Paul,

My decision is all about space on my boat. If a compressor is the way forward then I already have 2, one being an integral pump and storage tank. The question is about feasibility of controlling more precisely the flow from a can, which is small and can be tucked away easily. I think one large can should be more than adequate for a 1:72 F-51.

• 3 weeks later...

I was astonished to find that the regulator 'didn't'. The canned air overcame the pressure regulator so I have decided to take the compressor to the boat. Just have to be careful with the use of the airbrush as the compressor will make demands on the inverter!

• Like 1