VIETNAM ERA COLORS FOR TANKS

FrancisGL

Hi Francis,

Punched in us army paint colors Vietnam to google gave me the following:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=228670
In the first box it states OD 24087 as the correct colour.

Searched od 24087 paint and the result is the following:
https://www.quartertonparts.com/shop/paint/24087-semi-gloss-od-paint-gallon-1950-75/

I assumed that the number 24087 stood for the Federal Standard as I know that 2 means semi-gloss I checked my paint reference file and came up with the following for the Matt finish:

Humbrol 173 track colour 85%
Humbrol 153 Insignia Red 9%
Humbrol 85 Coal Black 6%
or Hu155
I thought that 173 was discontinued but it is listed on the humbrol site

However, Gunze 304 and Model Master (MM) 1711 are listed as FS 34087 and these seem to be close to Hum 155.

The Model Air equivalent which is listed for Gunze 304 and MM 1711 is Model Air 71.043 Braunviolett RLM81 Olive Drab

I personally prefer the MM colour but it come down to personal preference.

Hope this helps

David

Edited by demiles
  • Like 1

Remember that U.S. Marines used the M48 and it was painted a different shade of green from the army tanks.

Tamiya model mag did a build a few years back that noted the differences...I might still have that issue if you're interested

• Like 1

demiles, on 15 Jun 2016 - 2:19 PM, said:

Hi Francis,

Punched in us army paint colors Vietnam to google gave me the following:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=228670

In the first box it states OD 24087 as the correct colour.

Searched od 24087 paint and the result is the following:

https://www.quartertonparts.com/shop/paint/24087-semi-gloss-od-paint-gallon-1950-75/

I assumed that the number 24087 stood for the Federal Standard as I know that 2 means semi-gloss I checked my paint reference file and came up with the following for the Matt finish:

Humbrol 173 track colour 85%

Humbrol 153 Insignia Red 9%

Humbrol 85 Coal Black 6%

or Hu155

I thought that 173 was discontinued but it is listed on the humbrol site

However, Gunze 304 and Model Master (MM) 1711 are listed as FS 34087 and these seem to be close to Hum 155.

The Model Air equivalent which is listed for Gunze 304 and MM 1711 is Model Air 71.043 Braunviolett RLM81 Olive Drab

I personally prefer the MM colour but it come down to personal preference.

Hope this helps

David

Of course if he had deduced on my own what color 24 ****, but there was giving me that it was semi-mate, so I did not find ... lol, I use MM for the facility I can get those against other brands in my store / s common.

Thank you so much for the information, and excuse me for not answering before, because as the answer to wait long and do not pay due attention.

Best regards David :thumbsup:

PhantomMajor, on 15 Jun 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

Remember that U.S. Marines used the M48 and it was painted a different shade of green from the army tanks.

Tamiya model mag did a build a few years back that noted the differences...I might still have that issue if you're interested

Thank you so much for the information, and excuse me for not answering before, because as the answer to wait long and do not pay due attention.

If you can provide something more about the Marines, very friendly for your help.

Best regards, mate :thumbsup:

Tamiya XF-62 straight from the bottle is a close match for US Army tanks, XF-74 is spot on for the USMC. I served as a Marine during the late Viet Nam era. I was infantry (a machine gunner) but always liked the armor and tracked vehicles.

They were semigloss as delivered, however that disappeared quite rapidly. I don't recall "weathering" that is fading, chipping and all the other modern modelling fads. I do recall dirt grease and grime. That red colored earth so popular with Viet Nam era modelers was not as wide spread as you would be led to think. The southern lowlands and various coastal areas had the iron rich red earth.

When out and about the tanks looked like circus wagons what with all the gear and such stowed on the exterior. Tankers rapidly learned to add supplemental armor to the turrets. An RPG cut through like butter and the hydraulic fluid in the turret traverse system lit up in in an instant. That's why you see track links hung from the turret rails topped with sand bags. There will always be a length of chain ling fence material rolled up on the tank as well. At night or when parked for an extended period the fencing was erected as a shield for random RPG shots.

Sorry to ramble but I thought I'd share my observations from oh so long ago. :bouncy:

G

• Like 2

AgentG, on 17 Jun 2016 - 8:03 PM, said:AgentG, on 17 Jun 2016 - 8:03 PM, said:AgentG, on 17 Jun 2016 - 8:03 PM, said:AgentG, on 17 Jun 2016 - 8:03 PM, said:

Tamiya XF-62 straight from the bottle is a close match for US Army tanks, XF-74 is spot on for the USMC. I served as a Marine during the late Viet Nam era. I was infantry (a machine gunner) but always liked the armor and tracked vehicles.

They were semigloss as delivered, however that disappeared quite rapidly. I don't recall "weathering" that is fading, chipping and all the other modern modelling fads. I do recall dirt grease and grime. That red colored earth so popular with Viet Nam era modelers was not as wide spread as you would be led to think. The southern lowlands and various coastal areas had the iron rich red earth.

When out and about the tanks looked like circus wagons what with all the gear and such stowed on the exterior. Tankers rapidly learned to add supplemental armor to the turrets. An RPG cut through like butter and the hydraulic fluid in the turret traverse system lit up in in an instant. That's why you see track links hung from the turret rails topped with sand bags. There will always be a length of chain ling fence material rolled up on the tank as well. At night or when parked for an extended period the fencing was erected as a shield for random RPG shots.

Sorry to ramble but I thought I'd share my observations from oh so long ago. :bouncy:

G

No problem, it is always interesting to learn something, and what I read, the crew filled equipment outside the tank, added pieces of tracks, parts of the undercarriage, and bags sand, many, many sandbags ... lol.

What roll of wire, if you had seen before in a great picture, which looks a M48 with amount of equipment, and the barrel passing through a screen of wire mesh, so hopefully the RPG rocket, becomes subject by the fins ... sigh of relief ... :boxing:
Thx for help, best regards AgentG
Edited by FrancisGL

snapper_city, on 17 Jun 2016 - 9:39 PM, said:

Ammo do the army colour that is in this set.

http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product/mig-ammo-vietnam-colours/

AK do both the army and marine corp in this set.

http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product/ak-interactive-vietnam-colours-set/

Thx for the info / help. i get AK set,It has been the easiest to get, cheers mate :thumbsup:

• Like 1

snapper_city, on 18 Jun 2016 - 3:01 PM, said:

They probably sell the paints separately if you don't need the other colours.

Fortunately are only 3 colors, so it is not a "prohibitive" cost, and always good to have colors, the more the merrier ... lol, because I have never seems that I need. :banghead: , cheers mate :thumbsup:

• Like 1