Airfix Vulcan..a question

kspriss

Hi guys, 2 quick questions. Having pulled the Airfix Vulcan from the stash I have heard rumours that the wing halves should be attached to the relavent fuselage halves then the whole shooting match glued together and not assemble the fuselage first THEN attach the wings as this avoids the large gaps. Secondly has anyone got a drawing (hopefully with dimensions) for scratch building the bomb bay internals please

Cheers chaps

Steve

Steve.

Can't help with drawings, but as for the wing fuselage join I attached wings to fuselage then joined the two halves together, and result was aperfect join which cannot be seen.

Derek

I've built two, one the way the instructions tell you to, and one the way you outlined (still in progress). Attaching the wing halves to the fuselage half first is definitely the way to go-you get leading edge gaps (easy to fill) instead of massive steps right next to the engine fairings and undercarriage bays (almost impossible to fill).

It is a bit of a challenge then joining two halves that are the size of a complete Vulcan, but it's manageable.

When you do the bomb bay - don't forget to include the in-flight movie television screen........... :whistle: :whistle:

vulcab%20bomb%20bay_01.jpg

It is present on both the Hendon and Cosford examples - so it was obviously a fleet-wide fit!

Ken (with tongue firmly in cheek)

• Like 8

Thanks for taking time to reply guys. I'll proceed with the wing halves to fuselage halls first then attach the entire bottom to top plan.

Steve

It's much easier to build the fuselage as per the instructions. Then add the wing top halves then the lower halves.

Did this on mine and it worked perfectly :)

• Like 1

Hi guys, 2 quick questions. Having pulled the Airfix Vulcan from the stash I have heard rumours that the wing halves should be attached to the relavent fuselage halves then the whole shooting match glued together and not assemble the fuselage first THEN attach the wings as this avoids the large gaps. Secondly has anyone got a drawing (hopefully with dimensions) for scratch building the bomb bay internals please

Cheers chaps

Steve

White Ensign Models did a PE set for Vulcan bomb bays. Don't know if it is still available somwhere?

Selwyn

Hi Steve,

Here is rough sketch I made for my Vulcan build from last year... it might help. As for the wings I joined them first, as per instructions, and with a lot of filling and sanding I achieved a reasonably smooth joint.

I hope this won't put you off! Build thread; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975800-airfix-172-vulcan/?hl=%2Bairfix+%2Bvulcan

gazza l

scan0002_zps6ovw0o5h.jpg

• Like 1

"It is present on both the Hendon and Cosford examples - so it was obviously a fleet-wide fit!"

Well said Ken.

I've sat there and taken a photo like that as well!

Mark.