Battle of Britain - Ready for Battle Gift Set 1:48

So, I finally decided to try airbrushing for the first time, and this is my first attempt.

I'm using an Iwata Studio Series compressor with a Harder & Steenbeck Ultra airbrush and Vallejo airbrush paints.

As a newbie, I was rather dubious about airbrushing,.... but now after a few weeks later,... and I'm hooked.

Pre-shading, blending and using blue-tac worms makes the models looks far more professional, even at my amateur level of skill.

So all and all,... glad I made the jump.

HURR-1_zpsaxqxtw2h.jpg

So here is a little diorama featuring Airfix's Battle of Britain - Ready for Battle Gift Set 1:48

The hurricane was a joy to build. I decided to go with a darker Battle of Britain themed camouflage on this.

By the time I had oil washed and dusted the entire aircraft, the tones had gone quite dark. But that was intentional as I love the dirty look of the old warbirds, rather than the shiny aircraft you see at airshow's today.

The Bedford wagon and most of the spare ground crew I have plans to use on other models, so I didn't use them on this.

I think it would have been slightly too overcrowded anyway with all the additional parts.

The only modification I did was to use real rubber pipe carefully threaded with stiff wire so I could make the hose sag realistically off the fuel truck and onto the aircraft wing. This worked so well I used the same technique to replace all the hose on the diorama,... included that on the fuel trucks unused refueling arms.

The diorama base is scratch built using foramx and plaster and few items in my spares bin.

The groundwork is model railway ballast glued with watered down PVA and MIG Realistic ground mat, heavily weathered with MIG pigments.

HURR-2_zpsvap22oqu.jpg

HURR-3_zpsb80dygla.jpg

HURR-4_zpsbltnnlxt.jpg

HURR-6_zps4m0wozhk.jpg

HURR-5_zpsigav1os2.jpg

Hope you like.

All comments, gratefully received.

Ed.

Edited by Suprastar3000
  • Like 57

Beautiful builds and dio! And I love those slightly offset front wheels on the bowser – a small detail that adds a sense of life and action.

1940 may be a bit early for Kilroy to have made it over the Atlantic. Might have been Chad instead, in that context?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here

Superb and inspiring modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Beautiful builds and dio! And I love those slightly offset front wheels on the bowser – a small detail that adds a sense of life and action.

1940 may be a bit early for Kilroy to have made it over the Atlantic. Might have been Chad instead, in that context?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here

Superb and inspiring modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you for your kind words Joachim, :)

Well spotted on the bowser.

I always like to offset the wheels on vehicles slightly.

With the airfix models included with this set, the wheels can actually be positioned at angles. Thats a nice detail as I normally have to modify the wheel hubs to do that.

hah hah, I wondered if anyone would notice the Kilroy gaff. Doh!!!

The brick wall I robbed off another old diorama that featured a p-38 and american ground crew. So fitted within the timescale.

The graffiti kinda works so I decided to keep when I used the Tamiya bricks. Shame, as now Chad graffiti makes much more sense. Well spotted mate. hah hah

Thanks you all for your nice comments - Much appreciated

Wow this really is so perfectly staged, and the base is fantastic, very, very impressive :popcorn:

*Edit* Just realised I have commented on this thread twice - I can't see how to delete this second post so all I will say is that it just shows how much I like this :)

Edited by TPReggie