1/72 ACE Soviet Aerosan NKL-16/41

Today I started by adding paint chips to the front end using a scrap of sponge and Maskol:

P1130408_zpsugpupylu.jpg

And sides:

P1130409_zpsxcktjahr.jpg

P1130410_zpscqtcvwdh.jpg

I took those pictures as much for my own reference as anything so I could make sure I removed it all at the end.

Then I applied graining to the wooden parts using yellow ochre and raw umber oil paints and some coarse brushes:

P1130411_zpslwqfg1up.jpg

Next I masked the underside of the skis and applied Maskol chips to them:

P1130412_zpswg3nbfoa.jpg

Then the white top coat could be applied using Alclad white primer:

P1130413_zpsodyxnt70.jpg

Here's how the chipping on the skis came out:

P1130414_zpssugxuuuc.jpg

And the main vehicle:

P1130415_zpsxgauag60.jpg

After a light sanding all over I applied Alclad Aqua Gloss and then applied the two decals which took all of five minutes:

P1130416_zpsspj3xtmt.jpg

Then on went a black Flory wash:

P1130417_zpse0blmejx.jpg

Then some subtle rust streaks to the skis using a mix of diluted enamel and MIG "Old Rust" weathering powder:

P1130418_zpsbqxtokbp.jpg

Now I could glue on the skis using a combination of Gator Grip and extra thin superglue:

P1130419_zpsmvitict0.jpg

Then the spare ski could go on the roof as well as touching up the ends of the axles:

P1130420_zpsyfmta3da.jpg

I also added some "Dark Dirt" Flory wash around the engine and I've since added a little more rust streaking to the skis. The oil paint on the wooden parts will probably take days to dry and I've slightly run out of things to do hence the earlier than usual update.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

Oh yes, that chipping has worked a treat! :thumbsup:

Have you considered using a dot filter to liven up the white? You have to go extremely carefully on a white background, but the results can be very impressive. :coolio:

• Like 3

I haven't tried the dot filter technique, TBH I'm happy enough with the finish as it is. The last jobs I could be doing for now were to add the exhaust pipes:

P1130421_zpsd6fbaoxo.jpg

As well as the lower one which I assume is some sort of heat exchanger to provide heat in the cabin:

P1130422_zpsaww07cda.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the pipes. Well this is going on hold now until the oil paint dries which could take a week or two.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

Nothing wrong with your finish at all Nige.....I suggested the dot filter more as something for you to experiment with while the other oils dry, it's a really useful technique for anything with a monocolour scheme or big swathes of otherwise dull camo. It works really well on aircraft undersides too. :coolio:

• Like 4

It looks absolutely fantastic. It also looks like something from the 1930's Flash Gordon series!:D

Lovely work on the propellers and with the rust on the skis. Learning a lot here. Many thanks for sharing the build steps. :)

I was inspired by this and I weakened; I've went on Evilbay and ordered the Military Wheels one that looks like a Ford Prefect on skis. :shrug:

These Aerosans are infectious!

Best regards

Tony

• Like 3

Oh boy Tony.....You really know no fear do you! :analintruder:

BTW - Wondered if this might be of interest, you seem like a fella who enjoys something a bit different: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235003590-afghanistan-from-alexander-the-great-to-the-present-day/

• Like 1

I second/third the idea for a base, this is a great little model. It would look *so* good on a little snowy base.
Here is some inspiration:

Best regards
Tony
  • Like 6

Today the oil paint was completely dry so I got on with the finishing touches. First some Metal Cote "Polished Steel" on the shovel and then a coat of Klear on the props to gloss them up and to try to level the finish:

P1130432_zpsb0gcvzyr.jpg

When that was dry I masked up and did the detail painting, again Polished Steel on the hub and matt black on the spare's mounting bracket:

P1130433_zps7srdje1o.jpg

Then I fixed on the shovel and props and added mounting straps using thin strips of white insulation tape (thanks milktrip):

P1130435_zpsvglmvdmj.jpg

Next I applied a light coat of matt varnish, trying to preserve a bit of gloss on the props, and then I could unmask the windows:

P1130436_zpslnqdpeia.jpg

The final job was to glue a 2mm Little Cars lens on the headlight:

P1130437_zpslpvcpagc.jpg

With that I think I can call this finished. Its a bit dull for outside RFI photos so I might do those another day.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 14

Great stuff Nigel. Glad the tape is still coming in handy. Infact, the photo with the tape helps but the size of this thing into perspective. Really like the chipping as well!

• Like 1