1/48 VF-111 F-14a - Eduard COMPLETE RFI Link in Last Post

Coming along at pace there. Just a point, with as many panels open as you'll have, in real life they would not be doing maintenance on a loaded plane. Not a drama if you're just going for the visual effect, if you're going for accuracy diorama style, then it wouldn't be loaded for Bear.

• Like 1

Coming along at pace there. Just a point, with as many panels open as you'll have, in real life they would not be doing maintenance on a loaded plane. Not a drama if you're just going for the visual effect, if you're going for accuracy diorama style, then it wouldn't be loaded for Bear.

Hi Parabat, yeah this is definitely something I considered alright. It's also something I have been battling with this entire build. There is quiet a few points where I have taken a little bit of poetic/modelers licence on this one.

I really just couldn't resist hanging something off the hardpoints, just thought it might add a little more contrast and colour to the underside of the this Tomcat. I won't be using this piece as a diorama, it will be sitting on display and just felt I couldn't hide all the fantastic options this kit includes and decided to add my own...also as a little test of my skill as well. :frantic:

Edited by Bernie Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

It has been very quiet with this project as I have been flat out with work lately! Thankfully it should all die down now and will give me some time to get the painting started. So here is the progress so far, doesn't look like much but it still takes a fair bit of time to get everything set up and then everything cleaned after.

So first up, everything got itself some nice pre-shading:

IMG_20160802_174457.jpg

IMG_20160802_174506.jpg

After that then I gave it a quick light coat of Vallejo 71.121 - USAF Light Grey which will be its primary colour:

IMG_20160802_185040.jpg

I also gave the AIM-54's and the main landing gear a coat of Vallejo 71.279 Insignia White. Will hopefully get a gloss coat onto them tomorrow and a matt coat on the wheels so I can start weathering them.

IMG_20160802_193102.jpg

Once I have the top surfaces coating in the first coat of light grey I will probably use Tamiya smoke to darken a few areas and then add some highlights along panel lines and blotches which will all lend to the weathering and the look of this Tomcat spending a long time at sea.

Any questions don't be afraid to give me a shout!

Thanks for looking!

- Ian

• Like 6

Hi Ian,

That has come along pretty quick but it is looking good.

Good work mate.

Guy

• Like 1

Thanks very much guys!

Right onward and upward...I got the top light coat of light grey on and the firt "grubby" layer to bring the tone down a bit in certain areas.

IMG_20160804_172048.jpg

IMG_20160804_172057.jpg

From there I started to add some blotches which was the original USAF Light Grey mixed with some Insignia white and thinned to boot. I then added a little more white and added some highlights.

IMG_20160804_184253.jpg

IMG_20160804_184243.jpg

Then I'm not too sure it was the all the fumes or if I just lost the plot completely but I ended up doing this:

IMG_20160804_185003.jpg

I shocked it in hot water and then gave it alight dusting of salt on the top surfaces.

Once the salt had dried a little I then gave it a once over with some thinned burnt umber and when that dried....which was very quickly....I whacked on some more salt. It was at this point I really started to question what it is I am really doing.

IMG_20160804_191103.jpg

Then when all that salt dried up (with some encouragement from the misses hairdryer) I gave the top surfaces a whack of dark grey.

IMG_20160804_194510.jpg

So now either I have just ruined the last 4/5 hours of work plus yesterdays work load or else I have pulled it off some how. I will find out tomorrow....unless I give in to my patience and give the whole thing a rinse under the tap and see what happens!

Anyway check back soon to see what happened!

Thanks for looking.

Ian

• Like 4

Wow looks great! She is going to be a dirty lady!

What colour did you use for the 'grubby' layer?

Thanks very much, we will see tonight how/if it all worked!

I used Tamiya NATO Black...I think its XF-69 but couldn't be sure off the top of my head what the code is. It was thinned about 15:85, paint:thinners.

Intersting approach, hopefully it gives you that long-cruise grimy look you want.

Thanks Parabat. Yeah so do I...be interesting to see how this works because there will still be another layer of the grey to go over everything plus a bit of highlights and maybe some post shading if required.

I have a few other bits I will have to add for the weathering as well which will also be some new techniques I am trying out. Its all a big learning curve! :hypnotised:

Thanks very much, we will see tonight how/if it all worked!

I used Tamiya NATO Black...I think its XF-69 but couldn't be sure off the top of my head what the code is. It was thinned about 15:85, paint:thinners.

Thanks for letting me know. Judging by the photos,especially the close up I would have guessed it was a brown!

I might have to it a go!

And the results are in!!

I am quiet happy with how it looked initially, as it was my first time I didnt mind making some mistakes and one thing i will do next time is give a little less of the grey. Think i covered to much put did the right amount with the burnt umber.

IMG_20160805_161430.jpg

A few close up shots of the different areas:

IMG_20160805_161435.jpg

IMG_20160805_161438.jpg

IMG_20160805_161443.jpg

Thankfully it worked out enough that I was happy with it so I kept going and gave it a few thin coat of the base coat. I did this layer by layer so I didn't cover the grubby dirty look from the salt weathering. Once I had the base coat on I added a couple of drops of white to the mix and thinned it again just a touch to add some highlights around areas where the crew would touch up chips around the edges of panels that would be regularly removed. And then I repeated the base coat process to blend everything that little bit more.

IMG_20160805_182723.jpg

IMG_20160805_182734.jpg

IMG_20160805_182744.jpg

Then I put on the dark greys, this was Vallejo Dark Grey. I also made an absolute balls of masking the walk way so decided the decals will do or I will do it tomorrow and hopefully have better results. With all that done I then gave everything a coat of gloss so I can make a start on the decals tomorrow and then start moving into the weather and final assembly.

IMG_20160805_202817.jpg

IMG_20160805_202841.jpg

IMG_20160805_202906.jpg

Won't be long now until this is finished! At this stage time just flies, especially while the misses is gone for the weekend, thing may progress a lot faster. Any questions as always just shout!

Ian

• Like 9

Thanks very much guys! Was definitely very nervous when I was doing it...but as they say life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

So I have made a good bit of progress but it has mainly been lots of little things. So as not to ruin the big unveiling which should hopefully be by the end of the week I will just leave you all with a couple of teaser of what to expect. :hobbyhorse:

IMG_20160808_170617.jpg

IMG_20160808_204153.jpg

• Like 7

As above nice one looks good .

Guy

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I thought I would manage to get this finished but looks like it will be that little bit longer, should hopefully have everything polished off and the RFI up early next week.

I had a lot more assembly then I initially realised. So far all I have left to do is to hit it with some pastels and a few other final touches. I gave it an oil wash, some parts got it as a panel line wash and others got a full coverage. The idea was to leave the streaky oily stains on the top fuselage and then give the wings the full oil treatment with the streaks going in the wind direction is the wings were in a swept position.

Next I gave the underside around the engine areas some streaking grime around a few panel lines and some on the wings near flags and other ares where they might be a build up of oil/grease but this was swept in the direction of the wind if the wings where fully extended as this grime would most probably be blasted back during take off.

Now I just need to add some dirt/wear and tear around the cockpit and ladder as well as the top fuselage and most of the weather should be complete.

One thing I am still battling is if I will actually load up the pylons or not. I must say I was disappointed by hobby bosses attempt at creating the hardpoints for the AIM-9's. They are very flat and plain so will need to cover them up...maybe I might revised the AIM-9 and turn them into training rounds.

As parabat pointed out they wouldn't mount live weapons on a jet getting its regular maintenance but might be more reasonable to consider they were training. Think this will be a last minute decision...once I have it all put together and the weathering finished I will hang them from the hardpoints and see what I think.

I do have one question, can anybody recommend how I paint the scum/grime that rubs off onto the wings when they are fully extended? I have considered using a thinned oil paint and doing it in layers or else using the pastels...but would be interested to see how others approached this.

Ian

For the wing swing grimy area I marked out the limit of the weathering area with a pencil (fold the wing all the way to the rear as if in the overswept position) and then used a brush with some dark weathering wash, pivoting it in the pivot location with some string attached to get the right 'sweep' pattern. Do this both above and below.

It's not letting me post pictures from Picasa at the moment.... Check out post #91 in this thread. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913665-148-f-14a-vf-74-bedevilers-hasegawa/page-5

• Like 1