Revell 1:72 BAe Hawk T1 (Red Arrows)

Another in my long series of BAe Hawks. Also, the third in a series of Red Arrows aircraft. Still to come: the 2000 season special markings and a what if of a Red Arrows Eurofighter.

This is the Revell new-tool kit. Though it does have some options that others don't (like the pipes that provide the smoke above the exhaust) I do think the most recent Airfix kit is a better build. Decals came from the kit. All in all, a positive experience. But then I've built so many of these (like, 19 altogether) that they start to blur together after a while!

This is completed aircraft #464 (#31 for the year), finished in May of 2016.

DSC_0164_zpsv5a46h5q.jpg

DSC_0165_zpslglwkcrl.jpg

• Like 11

Nice work Kevin and interesting to hear that you think the Airfix kit is slightly better than the Revell offering as I was thinking of buying 1:72 Red Arrows Hawk very soon, so thanks for that!! :thumbsup::coolio:

How on earth do you find the time to build 31 model aircraft in just 5 months!? :huh: :blink:

Kev :)

Nice Build! Did you paint the white stripe or is that a decal? I ask because it looks great and white decals usually do not look that good over red. How about a group photo of all your Hawks?

Bear: Now you've got me curious. I thought I put the gear into the provided hole, but now I'm not sure. It wouldn't be the first time I've made a boneheaded landing gear error!

Nachtwulf: Kit decal as provided by Revell. You're right, the white was extremely opaque. I'm also in the process of rearranging the display cabinets downstairs. Once I finish that they'll be more accessible and I have plans to shoot photos of various sub-collections. Might not happen soon, but stay tuned.

(Other) Kev: Last year I had some medical issues culminating in two surgeries in Dec/Jan 2015/16. At 59 I figured I'd better get my backside in gear. Plus my relief at having surpassed that ordeal translated into the biggest mojo injection of all time. I'm shooting for 52 completions in 2016 - just to say I did it once!

Thanks all.

Edited by Kevin Callahan
  • Like 1

Nice work Kevin and interesting to hear that you think the Airfix kit is slightly better than the Revell offering as I was thinking of buying 1:72 Red Arrows Hawk very soon, so thanks for that!! :thumbsup::coolio:

How on earth do you find the time to build 31 model aircraft in just 5 months!? :huh: :blink:

Hi , If I were you I would go the New Tool Revell without hesitation. This model is O.K. and far more detailed than the "New" Airfix Hornby tool.

The New Airfix tool has the same defaults as the old one , I mean undecarriage, tail and cockpit. The Revell tool is superior in these

aspects, although it has also his shortcomings ( litte work on the tail that still represents, as Airfix, the prototype one, but the cockpit is

far more detailed than the Airfix one , the Wheel Wells are the good depth and the undercarriage parts and doors are far better than Airfix.

If you buy the Revell Tool be sure to buy the model in the new Revell boxing (Ref 04921), otherwise you may find yourself with the Italeri tool

!.

Happy modelling.

Madcop.

• Like 1

Hi , If I were you I would go the New Tool Revell without hesitation. This model is O.K. and far more detailed than the "New" Airfix Hornby tool.

The New Airfix tool has the same defaults as the old one , I mean undecarriage, tail and cockpit. The Revell tool is superior in these

aspects, although it has also his shortcomings ( litte work on the tail that still represents, as Airfix, the prototype one, but the cockpit is

far more detailed than the Airfix one , the Wheel Wells are the good depth and the undercarriage parts and doors are far better than Airfix.

If you buy the Revell Tool be sure to buy the model in the new Revell boxing (Ref 04921), otherwise you may find yourself with the Italeri tool

!.

Happy modelling.

Madcop.

Thanks for that Madcop, it's always interesting and helpful to get a different view on something!! I think my best option is to buy one of each and to check them out for myself. Then I can either amalgamate parts from each kit into one model which has the best of both worlds, or choose what I feel is the better kit then recover some of my outlay by selling the less desirable kit onto someone else?

Thanks again Madcop and apologies to you Kevin (the other one ;) ) for hijacking your thread here. :coolio::thumbsup:

Edited by Mr Modeller

• 2 weeks later...

The front gear retracts forward so is attached at the rear of the well. I really wasn't trying to discredit your build its really a great finish!

It was in fact incorrect on the original but has been corrected now. No discredit taken; if I mess up (which isn't exactly a rare occasion!) I'll own it.