New Airbrush? What is Best For a Newbie? :)

Adam Bromiley

Hey,

I have been modelling for about 7 years now, but have never looked into getting an airbrush. I have quite a few large, American WWII bombers (B-29, B-17 and B-25) which all have a bare metal finish, so I need something to get a smooth paint finish which can cover a wide area in a relatively short amount of time. I am also planning on buying an A-10, AC-130, B-36 and a B-52 (you see the theme running :D )

I looked online this morning and saw that the best airbrush for beginners would be a Single-Action, Gravity-Fed, Internally-Mixed one. Now, all I need help on is deciding what nozzle size and needle is best for a large area (I don't really need a high precision one I don't think). I also need to know what air compressor and cleaning kit would be best.

My budget is £50 (I know its low, but I'm broke and I don't even know if I'll be good with an airbrush xD), and it would be nice if the airbrush came in a set with a compressor and cleaning kit.

I also saw both the Revell and Humbrol airbrush sets (Humbrol also do a canned air 'power-pack'), with Revell having an airbrush and a spray gun (what is the difference?). These look quite cheap, so I was wondering about any of you guys' views on them.

P.S. I use both enamel and acrylic paints. I guess I need to thin them for airbrushing, so what should I use as a thinner. I'm guessing water for acrylic, then would it be just white spirit or turp for enamel?

Unfortunately you are going to either be looking for something second hand or a cheap chinese setup off ebay.

Quality varies so much on these, it's pot luck.

I would suggest trying out a few brushes before you do anything else.

If you can get over to Milton Keynes, the New City Model Club meets in Hanslope on the third monday of the month and I can being some airbrushes along that you can have a play with.

Paul

If I could suggest:

A single action external mix brush might be a good choice for a starter brush.

Think of it as a really controllable spray can.

In fact if you can get a decent job out of a spray bomb a single action brush is easier.

I am a great fan of the Paasche Type H myself.

My brush is over 100 years old (1906?!)

Easy to mix colour, easy to clean and by changing tips, using stencils, masks and shields you can do just about anything with it.

Not super sensitive to mixes either.

I sell a LOT of them.

Double action internal mix brushes give a smaller paint droplet, finer line and more control but they are far more fussy about mixes and air pressure.

Maintenance is a good deal more intensive as well.

That being said they give the best control, just a bit more difficult to learn on.

This can be frustrating when you're starting out.. :boom:

Gravity feed brushes give the finest spray and the greatest control but are best at fine lines.

(hard to cover a 1/48th scale B-17 2mm at a time!)

Anyway, that is my take on the subject. :blah:

Everybody does things a bit differently though so listen to everyone and make up your own mind.

If I can answer any airbrush questions, please feel free to ask.

I'm not a great artist like some on here but I know LOTS of tricks! :winkgrin:

Q

Paul's suggestion of trying a few is a good one.

But whatever you do, make sure you buy a compressor - if the available budget needs stretching or the purchase delayed, you'll not regret it. Canned air is expensive & unpredictable in use.

The little sparmax compressors aren't bad, we sell a version of the compressor with a sparmax brush for about £90.

It's boxed up as a cake decorating set. A lot cheaper than the Iwata branded version.

Airbrush is an internal mix with the air supply on all the time. You just pull the trigger back to feed the paint in.The food coloring is the same as the ones I use for demos. A great way to get use to the brush before put paint through it.

Paul

Paulzoom_Airbrush__Compressor_Kit.jpg

Thanks for all of your replies, so I guess I can't get anything for my budget (going to have to badger a lot of people near Christmas methinks). The Neo Iwata Kit looks like a decent buy, I'll maybe think about getting that then.

I wouldn't give up quite so easily! Looking on eBay at completed auctions for airbrush compressors under £50, there's a lot of them, including those that come complete with a double action gravity feed AB.

Be worth keeping an eye out ;)

Could I sing the benefits of a continuous double-action airbrush for eager beginners? You get the benefit of a double-action with the control of the paint flow, without any of the timing issues - which if you get wrong and turn off the air before the paint inevitably results in splatter with the next pass. With a continuous double-action there is no pressing down of the button for air flow, instead the inital pull back of the trigger (or button) releases the air, pulling back further releases the paint.

The difference between a single action is that whereas with a single action you fix the paint flow and vary the air flow with the trigger, with a continous double-action you fix the air (over the compressor) and vary the paint, allowing for more control.

The cake brush that Paul recommended seems not too far away in principle, the difference being the air is on all the time and not operated by the trigger.

It just means you get an airbrush that is simpler to learn than a double-action, but that you won't outgrow too quickly; the only problem may be budget, they are pretty well all over your £50 limit. There are several out there, including Neo for Iwata TRN1 gravity feed, I have the H&S Grafo T2 side feed and love it, having struggled with double-action brushes. Remember if you do go for a side feed, you need to run at slightly higher psi than a gravity feed - which may mean the cheapest compressors are out too . Whatever you get you should think of it as longer term investment and get something that can grow with you.