"Maritime ghost" Matchbox 1/72 FG.1 Royal Navy.

Matchbox's McDonnell Phantom FG.1, 892 Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, H.M.S. Ark Royal:
Built right out of the box with only a swop of the plastic ejection seats to metal aftermarket ones.

The nose wheel is not correct. But the version with the nose so weird high I did not like.

The ageing transfers unfortunately leave their mark on the result, but despite that it was really fun to build this old kit.

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Edited by Grover 27
  • Like 34

What a superb build of this kit,looks every inch a Phantom despite the kicking it's had since it's release,great painting and decals look

fine to me,that's cheered me up thanks!

• Like 1

That's a kit I always missed when I was young, and very frustrated I got.

To see it built in such a brilliant fashion makes me happy, because this old plastic deserves it.

Congratulations. And it is Royal Navy: what a pleasure!

JR

• Like 1

Wow, that reminds me just how good the Phantom looked in RN colours. Without a doubt that was best scheme worn by any Phantom, anywhere, at any time.

Top class.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

The Toom looks ship shape to me and nice to see an FAA one. It is a credit to your modelling skills Sir to get the best out of an old Matchbox kit which I like with a bit of extras added on. :goodjob:

albamac

• Like 1

Great job on the old classic kit. This was the only game in town when it appeared in 1976, Fujimi being way into the future at that time. We were so grateful for it too and could finally forget cross kitting Hasegawa F4Es and the Frog/Hasegawa 'UK Phantom' which wasn't one at all really.

James Goulding in his column in Aircraft Illustrated, a modelling journalist who seemed at the top of his game to me and whose opinions I avidly followed, reviewed the new kit in 1976 and besides the usual carping about multi coloured mouldings, really found little to criticise, one thing being the rather shallow cockpit transparencies. You've got round that by posing them open so all sorted.

Nice one!

• Like 1

reviewed the new kit in 1976 and besides the usual carping about multi coloured mouldings, really found little to criticise, one thing being the rather shallow cockpit transparencies. You've got round that by posing them open so all sorted.

Nice one!

True, well seen.

The shape of the kits canopy is not quite accurately (too low). And the reason that they are mounted in the open position.

Also the radar dome was too much an "onion" shape. The diameter is sanded smaller so that it fits better in line with the fuselage.

:goodjob: looks good, nice to see one in the proper colours!

Actually I initially had difficulties with the gray color. The first coat of paint (a mixture of Revells aqua "Panzergrau", "White" and "Night Blue") ended in failure in terms of color tone.

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

After this I switched over to Humbrol's 123 "extra Dark Sea Grey" and mixed it to create different color tone.

What gave the result as seen in the end pictures.

That's a kit I always missed when I was young, and very frustrated I got.

To see it built in such a brilliant fashion makes me happy, because this old plastic deserves it.

Congratulations. And it is Royal Navy: what a pleasure!

JR

That's funny. I have the same experiences. I admired the kit much in my youth but was never able to buy.

Matchbox kits gave me In my youth many modelling fun.

And today they still can. You're welcome JR.

I would like to thank everyone for the kind and motivating comments.

• Like 2

Hello,Grover27 - You deserve every credit indeed for this beautiful build.The kit you used,with all respects to it,is not the most high- tech.or sophisticated but your skill has transformed this into a fine tribute to a fine aircraft.Great job! ;) All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Nice job! Certainly looks like a Phantom to me.

If I recall correctly, the kit when originally released had an undersized radome and a shallow canopy. I understand that they reacted to this by reworking the radome to increase it's size.

Am I right, anybody?

ATB
Rick

If I recall correctly, the kit when originally released had an undersized radome and a shallow canopy. I understand that they reacted to this by reworking the radome to increase it's size.

Am I right, anybody?

ATB

Rick

My Matchbox is one of the later versions as you can see on the first picture.
I also heard (rumors) that Matchbox has modified the radome shape from the first batch. But I have no facts other than mine experience on this kit.
This is a picture from the early building progress showing the kits nose attached to the fuselage prior to sanding.
Its little, little over sized and the union shape present to strong.
1k0.jpg
Check this nose with an old build here. This form seems to be different compared to my model:
Maybe someone can help with facts.
Kind regards.

Pretty sure the later boxings had a revised tailplane with the RWR housing and a revised nosecone. Got the original boxing in the stash and built another about 40 years ago, remember thinking the nose looked off then.

Might look see how difficult it would be to kitbash an Italeri F4S nose and cockpit onto the MB fuselage.