Link and Length AFV tracks

AndyC

Never done these before - my SA-6 for the GB has them and so do several kits recently bought. I've only ever used vinyl tracks before..

Any good hints as to how to put these on the model? Paint first? Glue in-situ for all, or just the last links?

Thanks in advance chaps

I'd paint them first, loosely fit the lengths, then build up the links around the sprockets and idlers adjusting the lengths as required.

• Like 2

Having just mucked up the first set I tried here's a couple of lesson learnt,

I built mine up in small subsections, the individual bits at least, then painted and weathered off the model. Great idea in theory, except I mixed the parts up while painting and ended up with some mind boggling 3D jigsaw puzzle so make sure you clearly label at least which side they are for!!

Looking back I probably could have made each set in one top and one bottom run, they do conform a bit after painting to allow you to fit them.

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil
  • Like 1

Can I also suggest a stiff libation within reach (but not close enough to knock it over)? Never done any link tracks myself either but now I've got a Chieftain with them, and not only links but also separate trackpads, I'm not looking forward to it.

Oh shugar ... I've just remembered, I've got Dragon Maultier with the damn things as well ... :frantic:

• Like 2

It does depend on the manufacturer. I'm not keen on the indy links that you gave to glue together, you might as have link and length. But the ones with separate pins or click together aren't bad, once you get in the right frame of mind. The best indy link tracks i've found in a kit are in the later Takom WW1 tanks and the Meng Mk.V's. If in doubt i'd plump for Friulmodel metal links.

• Like 1

Some of the recent HB kits have indy links - I need to try and work out which types they are before tackling them. FRiul look good but that's another 20 bucks on the top of a kit

It is an extra expense, but they produce a nice natural sag where required, and give the model some weight to keep in on the shelf. :D

• Like 1

Maybe a few pics will help.

First, prepare the wheels/sprockets and put them on your tank (No need to glue them yet if they stay in place).

Then assemble about half a track on some tape. When its done, glue them with tamiya green in very small quantity.

photo_10.jpg

Then wait a bit for the glue to act, You need to have a track solid enough so that no links fall appart, but a track that you can still bend.

When you think its ok, put the track in place, give it some sagging according to what you can observe on pics. In one word, make it live.

You can add some weight on the hull so that it'll help the track keep the shape you gave it while the glue dry.

photo_13.jpg

Then prepare the second half, and by the time you'll be able to fit it to the tank, the other half will be ready

photo_14.jpg

Then let the whole thing dry for about 24h00, before removing it.

Remove also the tape, then its ready to paint.

photo_15.jpg

You might need some touch up when you'll assemble the two halfs.

Also, if those two half are difficult to put in place, you can decide to cut a third part of just a few links, to make things more easy.

photo_21.jpg

Then again, it's up to you, fit the tracks latter and paint the hull, or put them in place once the wheels are painted, and mask.

photo_22.jpg

Edited by Antoine
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...