Falcon FJ-3/3M 1/72

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

After my current set of builds I want to add a Fury to the collection of Sabres. I have just invested in the Falcon vacform kit to go with a Fujimi F-86F-30 (short 6-3 wing) but having received it I am tempted to try and blend the key parts to the Fujimi fuselage rather than simply using the entire vacform one. Any thoughts? It looks like the rear end at least of the FJ-3 was pretty much an F-86F?

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Martin

Martin,

I wish you success on your project- as soon as you finish, we will then be assured of a state of the art injection kit release! Special Hobby has had an FJ-2 listed as a future project for a few years now, but no word on a definite release date. I'm not an authority on the FJ-2/3, but I would suggest getting the Naval Fighters Ginter book on the FJ-2/3 as a starting point. I have also attached a link to one of Tommy Thomason's outstanding blogs which covers the differences between the F-86F and the FJ-2/3. Best I can do at present. Me, I'm hot for a natural metal Marine FJ-2!

Mike

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/04/fj23-fury-redux.html

Thanks Mike. yes, I have the Ginter book and if have had the tailspin blog on my favourites for a while. I'm guessing they are the best info out there. I'll give it a go and fingers crossed a manufacturer will bring out a decent one in the near future. Meanwhile I am tackling my F-86H and then have a CAC Sabre and a Canadair Sabre to build.... Then the Fury :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hullo Martin,

I did the Falcon FJ-3 conversion a number of years ago for my History of the Jolly Rogers project (a 10-year project, but that's another story). I'm not sure if you'd be saving yourself any work--you might, granted, but I'm not sure. The thing builds very well for a vac. If you do go that route, I'd like to see how it goes.

Thanks Giorgio! Funny you should ask; I DID want something more modern, and so right away I bought an Academy F-86 instead of the recommended Heller. However, I discovered that the wing sweep did not fit at all; those familiar with the Falcon kit know the inboard halves of the lower wing and fuselage underside is one piece, and must fit the donor wing outers/uppers.

So, I got a Heller F-86, and the fit was PERFECT.

Academy kit still provided lots of helpful goodies, though. This was all about 16 years ago, so I've no idea what other options have come along since then.

• Like 1

Thanks Andrew ! I asked because IIRC the Heller wing has an excessive sweep angle, while the Academy one is more accurate. Guess I'll have to modify the Falcon fuselage quite a lot if I want to adapt the parts to the Academy wing...