Trumpeter's 1/200 HMS Hood

jannie

Trumpeter's reputation for accuracy in ships is fairly poor. A large number of so called "in box reviews" praise the surface detail, but the parts breakdown is usually awkward and parts fit is quite variable meaning that the moulded surface detail is at risk from the corrective steps. Shape accuracy is something Trumpeter gets wrong more often than they get right though, so it's not that surprising.

To be honest, although the funnel issue is a bit of a howler, it's fairly easy to correct which is better thanthe fatally flawed hull shapes that have maligned several of their other kits.

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 11:48 PM, GrantGoodale said:

It has been my experience that Trumpeter kits (ships, aircraft and armour) tend to be "over engineered". That may be good for some folks but not for a klutz like me.

It's done that way to get all the moulded detail without the expense of slide moulds and so on. It does result in having 5 parts when 1 would have been possible with a better mould and with fewer parts fit issues.

• 3 weeks later...

On 29/07/2016 at 3:02 PM, johndon said:

I've not checked mine yet but FW Allen from the HMS Hood Association has discovered a rather large error in the kit - it would appear that the two funnels in the kit are different sizes when they should be the same...

More information here: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163060

John

On 21/10/2016 at 5:58 PM, Stealthman said:

That doesn'the sound good, how could Trumpeter make that kind of mistake?

Very easily - they did it on their 1/350 Belfast as well!

I've posted in my own forum section about sales-y stuff, but for anyone who hasn't seen my posts here or on www.shipmodels.info, you may have seen statements from Pontos Model that extra funnel frets will be available for detailing corrected funnels.

That's partially true. I spoke with Keumho Kim of Pontos this morning and what's going to happen, in terms of what he supplies me with at least, is that he/we won't be selling separate extra funnel frets but rather he will supply me with complete HMS Hood sets. If I tell him which funnels I want, he will substitute one funnel fret or the other to make a matching pair and the retail price will remain the same for the set. If I don't order anything different, the sets will be shipped with the default frets to fit the kit's unequal size funnels.

Pontos Model has historically been reluctant to supply spares historically unless they've been replacing defective parts, so be aware of this before buying a set then trying to find someone to sell you an extra funnel fret to correct the funnels. :) 

With regards to the funnel issue, I find it strangely satisfying that every single one of the pre-orders we have had for the Pontos set have been for duplicate forward funnel frets in lieu of the aft. This implies that every  builder intends to correct that undersize funnel. In an age where lots of people assert loudly that true modelling skills are being lost, I think it's nice to note that each and every one of the good folks giving Hood the Pontos treatment through ourselves intends to take a razor saw to the kit's aft funnel parts in the pursuit of accuracy. :) I'd say modelling is alive and well!

• Like 1

:)

One overnight order last night was from me - Option B for duplicate forward funnel frets.

Was really pleased to see that option available - and the funnel size looks an easy fix.

I'd have thought most people contemplating a 1:200 HMS Hood - with the Pontos set - would have the skills to either cut and splice, or copy and cast!

Really excited about this project...

And managed to get my Hood for £180 at Telford - which helps reduce the pain a little!

Iain

• Like 1

Hmm, " if you have some degree of modelling skill and take your time, you can turn this kit it something quite good"!  What a fantastic resource though: I've just read all the way through it for the pleasure of seeing a job well done (I have zero intention of buying this kit).  Well-informed, calm, objective discussion backed up by photographic evidence and helpful advice on how to put things right.

That funnel error sounds expensive though, esp if the Pontos superdetail set is geared towards the kit parts as they are rather than as they should be.

2 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

That funnel error sounds expensive though, esp if the Pontos superdetail set is geared towards the kit parts as they are rather than as they should be.

That's the point of one of my recent posts :)

Pontos are offering duplicate frets of the correct sized forward funnel as a no-cost option at time of order placement which greatly simplifies the issue.

Just now, SovereignHobbies said:

That's the point of one of my recent posts :)

Pontos are offering duplicate frets of the correct sized forward funnel as a no-cost option at time of order placement which greatly simplifies the issue.

Yeah, sorry: didn't realise there was another page of posts!

• Like 1

For anyone that doesn't follow some of the dedicated ship forums - the Trumpeter sprue with both the kit funnels is available from Trumpeter via AliExpress for $7 plus $7.89 delivery to UK - so cheaper than casting a copy of the front funnel!

Have one on order  :)

Iain

• 5 months later...

Today @MrsSovereignHobbies surprised me with a 1/200 Trumpeter HMS Hood kit and the Pontos Model set 23009F1 to go with it. I still need to decide exactly how I will fix the aft funnel but there are 4 options I am considering.

Is there any interest in a build thread of this leviathan of a model? We have sold literally thousands of pounds worth of the Pontos sets but I've only seen one person start a thread anywhere thus far. :)

It does mean I need to pull the finger out and finish the work on RN WW2 Home Fleet Grey but sometimes I need a push to get things done!

• Like 2

Go for it Jamie - I've just started mine (working on hull) - but taking nice photos is a challenge as the hull is so large...

This really is a special project - thank you for your help with supplying the Pontos set!

Iain

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 00:02, johndon said:

I've not checked mine yet but FW Allen from the HMS Hood Association has discovered a rather large error in the kit - it would appear that the two funnels in the kit are different sizes when they should be the same...

More information here: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163060

John

I Have just finished doing the funnels on my Hood and they both the same size

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 22:24, TallBlondJohn said:

Very easily - they did it on their 1/350 Belfast as well!

I Have just finished doing the funnels on the 1/200 hood and I can assure you they are both the same size