Trumpeter's 1/200 HMS Hood

jannie

...It's actually REAL - I just bought one this afternoon at my local hobby store for the sum of $390. The owner called me yesterday to tell me he is getting 6 kits in today. I have been waiting for this kit so long that I started to think it's just a myth... I can now die in peace (well, after I built it) - my bucket list is complete! (I gave up on the Japanese twins idea).

Edit:
I should add that I'm NOT a Hood Expert (I'm really a Plane Nut), but I'd say that this is probably Trumpeter's best 1/200 kit yet (I have 3 of the previous kits - Arizona, Missouri & Bismarck for comparison). I guess the people at Trumpeter know that the Rivet Counters are going to have a field day on this kit (or I hope that prompted them to do some "measure twice, cut once" engineering). The hull is a one-piece molding, no separate bow (makes for a darn big box), the gun turrets look OK (looks like they didn't repeat the mistakes from the 1/350 kit in that regard). I was confused for a bit as the kit include 6 15" turrets - turns out an extra sprue is included to make up the correct # of barrels.

The 6 kits are flying off the shelf, the HS owner tells me he called everyone that left a contact number. All in all, I'm a pretty happy camper...

-- Jannie in BC

Edited by jannie
  • Like 2

Truth be told, I have been waiting for this kit for about 3 years now (hence my "bucket list" comment). I took a solemn oath that no matter what my financial situation when it comes out one day, I WILL buy it. It is expensive, but I know some of my colleagues who play golf will spend $300 - $400 or even more over one WEEKEND (well... includes the "social aspect" of the game of course). I still think our hobby is CHEAP (and luckily my wife agrees, albeit she is concerned about space and hopes that I never actually will build my stash...)

Edited by jannie
  • Like 3

cheap for one person is cripplingly expensive for another ,

I wish I could bring myself to part with the money for this kit I really do , but after spending a very hard few years re-building our finances there is no way I could justify sending £300 on a box full of plastic.. no matter how much I may want to ,

I did that too many times in the past and its taken nearly 10 years to undo the damage , the stash has been culled and I have a self imposed budget which I usually manage to stick to ,

To those who can afford this and other similar kits I say good on them , and I wish I was in their position , but for me. I'll have to enjoy builds of this kit vicariously.. its not the same , but unless someone gifts me the money to buy it , its the best I'll be able to do !

As for a comparison to other activities,e.g. golf.. hah Golf is little more than decent perpperation for death... same level of boredom if nothing else!!

Got one today, the local model shop had 20% off plastic kits so I couldn't resist. It's a big model and the box is even longer than the 1/200 Iowa. As I also model 1980s British Rail here's a comparison show with a BR Class 08 shunter in 4mm scale (1/76)...

IMG_1064_zpsjesil9lc.jpg

John

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up the hood kit, the hull is an amazing peice of toolmakers art, a 7 peice slide mold with only one seam line down the centreline on the outside,.... Awesome kit !

• Like 1

I have a possible move coming up in the not-too-distant future (seriously considering moving to Vancouver Island), which is a bit frustrating as it blocking me from starting work on the kit. Or any other large projects, for that matter. :weep:

It seems to have been selling very well, as the first tranche of deliveries have sold out. Hopefully we'll be receiving a review sample from the second shipload. :pray:

I see that both Pontos and Ka-Models have announced mega detailing sets with HMS Hood Association offering help to both companies to make sure the details are correct. Think I'll wait until they are both released and then no doubt spend as much as the kit again on one of the sets...

John

• Like 1

I'm pleased to see that :)

I don't really want to get in to 1/200 but could make a single exception for Hood.

Yes! Better start stocking up on that AP507B Jamie!

• Like 1

In terms of £ per hour of entertainment, if you really enjoy modelling it's not bad at all.

I think the problem is, (in my case included) people buy kits at a much faster rate than they build. I think it would actually be hard to spend too much if you only purchased model kits as you completed the last... No one is fast enough to spend too much that way.

An impressive kit, I would love to see the multiple plate mould for that hull!

That's why I've decided to stick to 1/200 warships from now on, the cost makes it difficult to buy on a whim and the selection isn't that great. I've got the Iowa and the Hood now and plan on getting the Hornet and that'll pretty much be it for me unless Trumpeter come along with a 1980s fit New Jersey in which case all bets are off :)

John

• Like 1

I think the problem is, (in my case included) people buy kits at a much faster rate than they build. I think it would actually be hard to spend too much if you only purchased model kits as you completed the last... No one is fast enough to spend too much that way.

No question at all! I've imposed a system on myself which is sometimes painful when inspiration hits. From now on I only allow myself to purchase a kit if I first finish, or sell off, three. So far it's working great, as I've worked through about 25% of my stash over the past two years. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've not checked mine yet but FW Allen from the HMS Hood Association has discovered a rather large error in the kit - it would appear that the two funnels in the kit are different sizes when they should be the same...

More information here: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163060

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2016 at 3:02 PM, johndon said:

I've not checked mine yet but FW Allen from the HMS Hood Association has discovered a rather large error in the kit - it would appear that the two funnels in the kit are different sizes when they should be the same...

More information here: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163060

John

That doesn'the sound good, how could Trumpeter make that kind of mistake?