1/32 Spitfire PR XIX

Haggis9444

Evening all.

I am currently trying to build a 1/32 Spitfire PR XIX.

I have started with the very good PCM Spitfire XIV, things are going very slowly but I am trying to get stuff ready for the day I eventually paint and put decals on.

My question is this:-

I want to do it in the livery of PM660 (as I already have that kit in 1/48), I am trying to source suitable decals for the red lettering.

I don't own a spray gun therefore masks are out of the question.

Would 1/48 red RAF numerals (XtraDecal #48-048) be okay for size etc...?

I've tried to do rough measurements/calculations from online pics but I'm not too sure..

Any help would be appreciated..

Mark.

Hi, Mark

On 1/72 colour profile from the old MPM brochure red letters are about 5,6 mm high. So red lettering would be about 12,6 mm or just over half an inch high in 1/32. I am not familiar with XtraDecal 48-048 but if you have one and have a ruler handy ... Cheers

Jure

Hi, Mark

Must correct my previous post, 12,6 mm is just short of and not just over half an inch. I browsed through my stash of decals and found old Tally-Ho! set of 24-inch red letters in 1/48 scale. I measured some of the letters in the set and they are 12,7 mm (half an inch) high. In my opinion, the 0,1 mm difference is not worth pondering about. So, Tally-Ho! or indeed any other set of 24˝ letters WWII red letters in 1/48 would be suitable for PM660 in 1/32.

I googled the XtraDecal 48-048 set and it contains 30˝ and 6˝ numbers and letters. I found no mentioning of 24˝ letters, so this size is probably not included. Obviously, 30˝ letters from that set would be too high in 1/32 scale. Cheers

Jure

Hi Mark,

Remember 1/48 scale is 1.5 times smaller than 1/32 (48/32 = 1.5). As PM660 has 16in. high codes these are the same height as 24 in. codes in 1/32. Fortunately Fantasy Printshop has this size available:

http://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/_A7AC0.aspx?nh=55321

In reverse, to convert a height in 1/48 to its equivalent in 1/32 you have to multiply it by two then divide by three.

So a 12in. high serial number in 1/48 is (12 x 2)/3 = 8 in. lettering in 1/32

Equally, a 24 in. serial in 1/32 is therefore equivalent to a 36 in. high serial in 1/48 (24 x 1.5 = 36)

Similarly when considering 1/72 letters, you have to multiply the 1/32 size by 2.25 (or if converting from 1/72 to 1/32 multiply by 4 and divide by 9)

So, a 16 in. letter in 1/32 is equivalent to 36 in. in 1/72. Here you could use the Bomber Command codes on Xtradecal X72212 https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72212

To make a 24 in. serial in 1/32, this would need to use 54in letters from 1/72; where, depending on how accurate you want to be, the nearest is 48 in. which gives you a height of 21.33in. for 1/32.

Hopefully this will give you some more options to consider.

Jonathan

Thank you very much for the info..

This gives me plenty of scope to get the required size..

I just wish that someone would provide a 1/32 decal set for the PR XIX, they have managed to provide a Swedish set, I'm sure there would be demand for an RAF set..

I am making the windscreen from scratch..

I have made a paper template and transferred it to acetate, I'm using thinly cut tamiya tape as the framing..

I'll post a couple of pics when I'm next working on it.

Mark.

• Like 1