BE2c Colour Help

I'm making one of the new Airfix BE2c's. Airfix suggest using Humbrol 98 Chocolate for the engine covers, and upper front decking. I can only find it as an enamel and I've pretty well converted to acrylics. I don't think it's available from Humbrol, so the question is, is there a good acrylic equivalent. For brushing so Tamiya is probably a no no.

Mmm, interesting paint choice - I'd have expected that to be Battleship Grey, but I know the research Airfix put into the colour scheme, so presumably it's meant to be a dark brown. I don't think you can be prescriptive, so I'd go for a brown that's quite dark, but not earthy (It might be an attempt to mimic PC12?)

Mmm, interesting paint choice - I'd have expected that to be Battleship Grey, but I know the research Airfix put into the colour scheme, so presumably it's meant to be a dark brown. I don't think you can be prescriptive, so I'd go for a brown that's quite dark, but not earthy (It might be an attempt to mimic PC12?)

Thanks Dave, Humbrol 98 is quite a nice shade, well the tinlet lid is. It's not a rich brown but dull with a very slight reddish hue. Unfortunately as far as I can see it's only available in Enamel.

Despite my comment about Tamiya, I have found a bottle of Brown which thinned and dosed with W&N Flow Improver has gone on OK, without drying as you brush it. Mind you it will need about 4 coats as it is thin. It's also a bit brown lacking a dullness and red tone. It might be better matted down. If not it will be of to the LMS for some enamel.

• Like 1