**2finished** Not done yet with spitfires

Me again, had such fun in this GB I've picked up yet another spit do, and I high chance I have another on its way by the end of the day, and after all it is a tribute build, how much of a tribute to Edgar is it if we all just stopped on the 5th once the official deadline passed....

going to be a mk1, have decals and parts for both mk1a and mk1 early, and indeed may well have a go at printing my own code and serial for this so the skies the limit...

C0C70FB5-7CBF-4470-8DB3-B9E4434255AC_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

how much of a tribute to Edgar is it if we all just stopped on the 5th once the official deadline passed....

That is a very good point.

I'm mulling over starting another spit now that I've been bitten by the bug. The only thing that's holding me back is time ... :( but its nice to see watch more Spits being built

being primed, first one of these in a while that hasn't needed wing surgery to keep the dihedral and indeed have the gun holes lining up

now to start choosing which spit I do, keep it simple and do the box one, one from the stash or get the decal paper out finally? Think Ill choose the latter option...now which spit should it be, to google....

789442AE-18FF-4D89-AEB8-A99ADE971F23_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

[...] how much of a tribute to Edgar is it if we all just stopped on the 5th once the official deadline passed....

That's a good point. I'm going to post the pics of my current build (when it's finished).

All primed, though can't start painting yet untill I decide on the subject

EDIT: think i found one to have a got at printing, 2nd one down :)

why I have a I chosen that? well no more room on my BoB/BoF shelf, and havign done x2 MkII's in the temperate scheme the Day fighter scheme makes a nice change

457SqnUK%20AT%20Pt2.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Good start ! Your bench in these last few months must have looked like a Supermarine production line ! :)

you'd think but no, at no point was there more than two at any one time

anyway test paper printed so I can pick the right font size

edit: predictably it the 8 and 24 measure up to be correct for the 8inch serials and 24 inch codes, though the artwork codes look smaller, in the absence of evidence safe to assume they were painted the standard size

280F22DD-0D9C-4D93-B209-7AB76CD176EC_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

Nice work on the decals Stu, I can't wait to see how they turn out when applied.

not yet braved the actual decal printing, that was just a test on plain paper to check the font sizes, got to check whether I should put the decalpaper face up or face down on the paper pile

@foghorn its an inkjet printer

• Like 2

Spit painted and decals printed....future reference, if a company recomends something, perhaps worth listening to them, gloss varnish is not a substitute for microscale decal film...of to buy some of that

694AAA16-3E29-4A77-93BA-5C142B38C6F1_zps

CF451F6D-D6A8-4D26-B6AD-88A8363BC5B7_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Phooey, I've been using rattle can acrylic varnish and it works, but requires a pretty thick coat. I bet Micro decal film will work best.

I might still have some humbrol rattle gloss left, might risk another try before I buy then, might have just been the fact I brushed it on that caused the problem

not a big deal if i have to buy some though, sold by a dealer I like using with a very large kit stock which I have to also buy to justify the fixed postage cost :)

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

turns out I chucked the last of the gloss spray out, so will have to wait till the microscale arrives next week, not yet ordered it as I'm waiting on reply on another thread which may mean I need to order some paint as well from the same seller, plus can't make up my mind what kit I want to order as well

Sealing decals printed on an inkjet is sometimes tricky. Micro decal film is perfect. other products can be used too. Testors has a spray can made exactly for this job but I think it's not sold in Europe, US only. Have to say that when I read the ingredients list and the potential health risks I left the can on the shelf..

Whatever clear coat you use, make sure it's not water based as this will react with the ink. I've tried some acrylic sprays in the past and some had this problem. Never had a problem with Micro decal film

The camo looks good, may not be what we immediately associate with early Spitfires but you did a good job here

• Like 2

fair enough, some would say that phase is no longer over.....know what you mean though, my LHS still has a lot of the dire flip top pots of humbrol acrylics...god they ghastly

anwyay haven't yet ordered some microscale, going to pop to the shop and ask about the microscale, long shot but never know, still can't make up my mind what kit I want online, too many ones I want....

Oh dear, I really am an idiot, at no point in this whole process did I spot the major issue.... I have WHITE decal paper, sealed the decals nicely with humbrol gloss, put them in water, and off came a nice white square with the code letter on it......

no biggy, will just paint over the grey and finish this as a bog standard mk1 in the temperate scheme

does beg the qeustion what the white paper would be useful for in the future

to the stash, seems only one suitable is alan deeres p9398, i like that option:)

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Repaint and ready for varnishing once the glue dries holding the gear up bits, painted with a custom mix of Eau-de-nil, a standard pot of humbrol 90, with one of those stater set pots of 30 chucked in, looked very odd yesterday with green/brown top and medium sea grey underside

AF78D8D0-7AF5-4387-8F87-CB3D175E9514_zps

08466A53-5BA4-47F2-9F5B-7A30E4024025_zps

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the problems, I missed your previous post otherwise I'd have offered advice..

In any case, a colour like Sky must be printed on white decal paper. If you print it on clear paper, when you apply this to your model the sky will practically disappear because the ink is not opaque enough to cover the dark colours of the camouflage. The trick is to print on white decal paper and then carefully trim along the edges of the artwork. Alternatively, print on white, trim only roughly and then touch up the white paper with the camouflage colours

Decals all on, just a case of getting the gun patch decals to settle before applying the matt varnish

9903518E-673B-4A60-AE5F-556DC63E84D7_zps

Thanks for the info Giorgio, was about to buy some clear paper, looks like this decal printing is not for me, hand is definitly not steady enough to paint around the serials

• Like 1