Contrail Handley Page Sparrow

7 hours ago, invidia said:

Great looking good build. Not built a vac form in years. This build is making me think about it, got a rareplanes spiteful somewhere.

Thanks Invidia, get that Spiteful out and have a go!

5 hours ago, perdu said:

She looks lovely

Beaufreighter

Ooh interesting...

Thanks Perdu, the Beaufrieghter will be a little while yet but I did order a pot of Foliage Green in preparation.

• Like 1

The new nose looks great. Now the nose and tail come are done, it looks like the photograph :thumbsup2: .

Really excellent vac work and yes, those engines are a 1000 times better and John's props are going to look superb.

Beaufreighter......nice.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Fast getting to a point where some serious painting can begin.. but first I need to plunge mould a new canopy, I overcut the original and ruined it! There was enough left to make a shape and plunge it into some clear plastic heated over a large candle.

IMG_1219_zpsb7jzlvd1.jpg

Cut to size it seems to fit, just needs a little more trimming. Note number of rejects lying on the table, plunge moulding is not an exact science.. not in my hands anyway.

IMG_1253_zpsv7nl74ja.jpg

John Aero engines look great with some aluminium silver paint and a black wash, props need more work yet and are temporarily fitted. The opening in the side of the glazing will be fitted with sliding panels like this...

UK3033_zpsssvti4ot.jpg

Final shot showing a few details added that I can see in photos, still need to do the aerials.

Next stop the paint shop!

IMG_1255_zpsipowftym.jpg

• Like 6

That's great moulding work there and a very fortunate save from the first one

Funny how when I'm making mouldings it's usually the first one I make that works and all and sundry redo efforts get wasted :(

Still there is always one that works, exact science? It must be because Falcon make some magnificent vacform canopies

But even they get fails, my Royal Navy set has two copies of the Sea Venom canopy with the main one crossed out in black marker pen and  another one cut out and taped to it for use

I do really like (too) the collector rings in slightly burnt steel just on the turn to really burnt

It looks really effective unlike those who just bung on a coat of copper colour

nice!

• Like 2

Some exceptional work there.  Love the nose work, although it may have been easier just carving a lump of P38 car body filler to shape (MUCH quicker than Milliput and you can start carving whilst it's curing - it'll cut like cheese!)

Really looking forward to the final product.

• Like 1

On 26 September 2016 at 11:15 AM, invidia said:

Great looking good build. Not built a vac form in years. This build is making me think about it, got a rareplanes spiteful somewhere.

The rareplanes Spiteful will need a new set of tail surfaces as they're completely the wrong shape.  Strip them from an Airfix Spitfire F22, and use the remaining parts as the basis for an F21 when crossed with their PR19.  The F22 will also give you a prop and exhausts and the 19 a set of wheels.

You'll also need a new canopy for the Spiteful, as the kit one will be a lovely shade of bronze by now...

20 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

The rareplanes Spiteful will need a new set of tail surfaces as they're completely the wrong shape.  Strip them from an Airfix Spitfire F22, and use the remaining parts as the basis for an F21 when crossed with their PR19.  The F22 will also give you a prop and exhausts and the 19 a set of wheels.

You'll also need a new canopy for the Spiteful, as the kit one will be a lovely shade of bronze by now...

Que?

33 minutes ago, Cees Broere said:

Forgive me for noting but it seems the windscreen has a reversed triangular windscreen frame similar to the Halifax in your accompanying photograph

Cees

Hi Cees,

Didn't know you frequented this forum, more familiar with your posts on Historic Aviation. The canopy on the model needs more trimming and isn't quite the right shape as it has a triangular rather than vertical junction between the side and front. I hope this is what you are getting at and the scissors will be used to trim the canopy to appear more like the real thing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress and finally some paint on..

IMG_1344_zps28lo8jap.jpg

IMG_1345_zpsoynuwg66.jpg

Big decision now on D Day stripes! My understanding is that after about a month ie July onwards stripes were removed from the upper wings and fuselage as the threat from friendly fire from other aircraft had pretty much passed. The photo below shows the subject I am doing in September '44 and if you look carefully at the wings it looks like the stripes have been painted over. My thoughts are that no matter how well (or badly) I do this it will always look like a mistake so I intend to back date to a point when the aircraft had full stripes top and bottom.

0000019_zps2wtgk5no.jpg

What colour would the U be..red?

Please don't look too hard at the camo, its bled more than usual and needs tidying up!

• Like 7

Regarding the stripes, go with what you decide is correct, its your model and you are the one who has to look at it the most.

Martian

• Like 2

If they have been painted over (which looks a definite in the photo) then they were there in full at some point?! So go nuts.... That said I like the idea of trying to get them as per the photo :) also looks like a well used AC!

Rob 

Decision Day; full D Day stripes top and bottom. First drawn out to scale at 24" wide (61cm apparently) on a strip of paper which was invaluable in setting them out.

IMG_1500_zpsazqf4sjw.jpg

Then wrap entire thing in paper like an oven ready sparrow leaving the full width to be sprayed white, then mask for the black stripes.

IMG_1510_zpsxcz9svxx.jpg

Like so...

IMG_1511_zpsjgyah9uz.jpg

I have since tidied up the slight bleed on the white and the camo edges which are far too soft.

I now know what Cees was talking about earlier..

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:47 PM, Cees Broere said:

Forgive me for noting but it seems the windscreen has a reversed triangular windscreen frame similar to the Halifax in your accompanying photograph

Cees

The front windscreen has an inverted triangular piece, so back to the drawing board with my plunge moulding which has a defined line down the middle and is based on the supplied Contrail item. You can see the triangle in this shot..

UK3033_zpsssvti4ot.jpg

For those that are interested in the new Valom Harrow release on Rumourmonger it is worth looking at the sprue shots; I can't tell if their clear parts are correct or not.

• Like 1

Nice job on the stripes BB, they look very neat and you'll have the bleed touched up in no time...

For the canopy, how about sanding a flat bit and then using some tape or foil for the frame? It'd save making another one. If you sand through the plastic, Clearfix or Krystal Klear?

Bit of a bodge possibly, but you know me... :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice job on the stripes BB, they look very neat and you'll have the bleed touched up in no time...

For the canopy, how about sanding a flat bit and then using some tape or foil for the frame? It'd save making another one. If you sand through the plastic, Clearfix or Krystal Klear?

Bit of a bodge possibly, but you know me... :)

Thanks Ced. Glad I kept the mould for the canopy and sanded a flat triangle on the front last night ready to plunge a new one...just short of suitable clear plastic at the moment!