Contrail Handley Page Sparrow

That interior shot - are you sure it din't come from "Famous railway bridges of the 1930s" by mistake? Very nice interior, and some serious modelling going on on the outside. And a vac build is always more entertaining for the watchers too!]

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

It's starting to look like a plane with the fuselage closed up and the wings on! Not the most attractive of aircraft!

Next stop lots of filler and sanding, then more filler and sanding...

IMG_1040_zps8hhyprri.jpg

Attention has now turned to the tailplane which is complicated by the fin having to be cut into two parts so it can be fitted above and below the tailplane.

A short section of stout wire from an old paperclip makes a good way of lining the two halves up and leaves scope for adjustment.

IMG_1117_zpsxdefszrj.jpg

IMG_1119_zpsuw5b1qxq.jpg

A tab of plastic card is used to locate the sections of tail either side of the fuselage

IMG_1120_zpsvwplrfb4.jpg

Seems to line up quite well, just needs a bit of glue and the vac builders best friend. Filler.

IMG_1121_zpshpjvlenm.jpg

I am not convinced by Contrails pointy end to the fuselage and may blunt it. Anyone else think it doesn't look right?

Engines and nacelles next.

• Like 8

The tail end is wrong. It should look like a faired over turret but a little more extended. There is a drawing in the A.F.Powers Vol 1 (the later edition with the revised drawings). Not the best but better representative than the kit. What ever you do don't use the engines and props as they are "representative" (in that they have the right number of cylinders) at the least.

John

Look at the side on photo in post 3 of the linked Britmodeller thread it shows the tail in profile.

• Like 2

Took drastic action last night and removed the pointy tail and replaced it with the Harrow one, after some sanding and more filler it will make a massive improvement.

The tail end is wrong. It should look like a faired over turret but a little more extended. There is a drawing in the A.F.Powers Vol 1 (the later edition with the revised drawings). Not the best but better representative than the kit. What ever you do don't use the engines and props as they are "representative" (in that they have the right number of cylinders) at the least.

John

Look at the side on photo in post 3 of the linked Britmodeller thread it shows the tail in profile.

Quite agree John, always a good idea to look at photos, especially when I posted them! Sometimes you get so focused you can't see the wood for the trees, or maybe that's just me?

I would love to replace the engines and props, but what with? I can possibly live with the engines but the props are ghastly!

Anyway couple of pics of last nights surgery. Before and after...

IMG_1120_zpsvwplrfb4.jpgd27dc34e-4645-499b-8ab4-b623eeed402d_zps

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress, rear end corrected, what were Contrail thinking, I've no idea Smudge.

IMG_1150_zpstg85zgqj.jpg

I am indebted to John Aero for kindly supplying some excellent replacement engines and props, they are a massive improvement and time saver. the only alteration needed is to replace the cooling gills with an extension of the nacelle, Sparrows don't have gills, they are birds afterall.

IMG_1153_zpshy6hm4ma.jpg

IMG_1154_zpsr8sbrpbh.jpg

That prop is so much better!

Wouldn't it be great to have all these things available again! Hint Hint!

Anyway here they are insitu, collector ring just placed on for now so I can paint the engine etc

IMG_1166_zpsq4kxwzqc.jpg

IMG_1163_zpsvsdib6a5.jpg

Getting close to some paint soon but can't help looking at that nose, is it too long?

• Like 4

Bit more progress getting the landing gear together. Contrail don't give too much assistance with this apart from a strip of shaped strut and the spats in two halves so a lot has been added/made up based on photos. There is still a doubled tension rod to be added later.

The whole thing should be in grey primer next time you see it.

I had a slight set back over the weekend with the canopy, a case of too much haste; so I cut too much away and will now have to crash mould a new one!IMG_1181_zpsqfbfuogi.jpgIMG_1202_zpsgrvxvige.jpg

• Like 9

Bristol Boy, I've read with great interest the story of your nice job on the Sparrow and I completed my visit with the Bombay pages too. It's always a pleasure to see that these old but still valid kits come back to the life.

Very nice the Sparrow interiors and I think it was worth the trouble because through the side windows they can easily be admired.

Just a question which is the plane you are going to portray? I suppose it's the K6994 U

Ezio

• Like 1

Thanks chaps for taking an interest, I do feel like I've turned a corner and will get there.

Fatalbert- the kit has very basic plans with it but they are not reliable, there are others on the net that are better and can be made 1/72 using a photocopier and overall dims.

Ezio- looking forward to seeing your vac progress, I love those inter war flying boats. You are right, my Sparrow will be K6994 U with full D Day stripes. If you look carefully at the photo at the start of this thread you can see they have been painted out on the upper wing, I believe this was done after the threat from Luftwaffe aircraft had pretty much passed therefore all aircraft in theory were friendly. Mine will be before this when it still had full stripes.

Ah, now that is starting to look pretty fantastic! Excellent work! :thumbsup:

Wonder why on earth they decided to call something that size a "Sparrow"? It looks decidedly un-Sparrow-like.

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 1

The good news is I am now standing on my own wheels

IMG_1206_zps6nyr54i4.jpg

The bad news is my nose seems to get bigger by the day, perhaps because Contrail told lies about me being the right shape for a Sparrow.

It should be like this....UK3033_zpsssvti4ot.jpg

Which means there this much to remove

IMG_1217_zpshkco41jx.jpg

Anyone of a nervous disposition should not view the next photo as it contains extreme but necessary scenes of surgery.

IMG_1233_zpshxm3ke8f.jpg

Fortunately my owner has made me a new wooden nose

IMG_1236_zpsjposbtd4.jpg

And heated some plastic under the grill so it will match the rest of me

IMG_1237_zpsfxc2airt.jpg

Lets hope he's got lots of filler to make it fit... more soon.

• Like 13

Cracking job this. Its great to see some propper modelling going. on.

I always thhought the Harrow looked like its back was broken after a hard landing but the model actually looks quite sleek. Hope it still looks good with the short nose but it needed to be done.

Colin

• Like 1

It (oops sorry) she looks like a Sparrow now although to be honest she looks far sleeker and much speedier with the Contrail Invented Improvements in the kit

But you're not building a HP Speed Sparrow. :)

The interior is nigh on fabulous, except fables aren't real and this is

Great work with the girder ribs, the 'look' is bang on and the bench and stretcher racks are damned wunnerful

I love it

I like the way so many vacforms become scratch building lessons and I'm sat here with an apple for the teacher 

OK not an apple, I got you a bottle of very nice cider instead

Reading this reminds me how fortunate we are here in BM to have John Aero in our midst, well done sorting out the props and engines for this John

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

Thanks to all for your interest and support while the Sparrow goes through a difficult period, I'm pleased to say the nose job went well and looks much better.

I've never failed to complete a model yet and I'm pleased to say this Sparrow will now not be the first.

It's also had a coat of Halfords u/c which showed up a few joint issues that have now been filled and sanded.

Looking forward now to the fun bit of getting some paint and more details on. Debating whether to pre-shade or not? Any views?IMG_1246_zpsnqrxqquz.jpgIMG_1245_zpswwfmzzhz.jpgIMG_1244_zpse4nhvuwt.jpg

Just realised you can see my next project lurking in the background High Planes DAP Beaufreighter.

• Like 5