Has anyone used Tamiya Panel Line Accent?

Jake Moon

I'm not sure if this is in the right thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Tamiya's panel line accent and if they recommend it or have any tips. No one at my local club has used it before and I think I might give it a go. I do 1/72 aircraft, and it'd go over lacquer paints.

Thanks in advance.

Good Morning Chaps :bye:

I've been using it a couple of months now Jake and it really is excellent stuff.

I use it mainly on cars and bikes, but the process is still the same.

Make sure you shake the bottle before you use it, and mixing the black and brown gives a nice colour for washing engines.

:ninja: Mad Steve :ninja:

Some interesting points on the label:

"May cause plastic to become brittle"

"Do not use with enamel paint" (but it is "Enamel paint")

"Be careful when using as it may dissolve underlying paint"

I think it's just Tamiya Enamel thinned with quality white spirit.

A wash should generally be of a dissimilar paint type to the painted surface you are applying it to. To use an enamel-based wash, ensure the underlying surface is finished in an acrylic or polyurethane paint/clear coat. Conversely, to use an acrylic wash successfully, apply over an enamel paint finish. The solvent in each wash type will simply attack a like-solvent paint when applied over the top. It's obvious isn't it ?

I've used the Tamiya enamel product mainly for interior pin-type washes as as Martin points out, a further thinning adds to the utility of the Tamiya product.

HTH

• Like 1