1/48th Eduard Spitfire Mk.VIII, 92 Sqn, Desert Air Force, Italy, November 1943

Hiya Folks,

I`ve wanted to make a Spitfire wearing this scheme for a long time with the Desert Air Force insignia in a triangle on the nose and its multi coloured codes with the unit QJ finished in flight colours and a decent photo appears on page 71 of the Osprey Spitfire Aces- North Arica & Italy which was used as reference.

As usual it was brush painted and as I`m running out of my usual Polly Scale acrylics I used Humbrol enamels for the upper surfaces this time, but with Polly Scale Azure Blue undersides..Anyway,...here it is;

DSCF7976_zpsmvzpoklj.jpg

DSCF7978_zps4s5gardc.jpg

DSCF7977_zpsyrihfwkw.jpg

DSCF7980_zpsl0t73dln.jpg

DSCF7982_zpsyn53g20i.jpg

DSCF7981_zps4wmkbkvz.jpg

DSCF7984_zpsqw85k0xa.jpg

DSCF7983_zpszyidhrrv.jpg

DSCF7976_zpsmvzpoklj.jpg

All the best,

Tony

• Like 41

Hello,Tony. - As always from your hangar,a beautiful aircraft emerges.I also love this scheme very much.It seems to suit so many types.The paint finish is your usual hallmark high standard but how did you find the Humbrol enamels to work with compared to your usual brand of acrylics? I've found recently that some Humbrol enamels are fine but others would need a spatula to put them on.I'm obviously aware of adding a drop of thinners which helps but to be honest it does make me appreciate 'Xtracolor'. ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

You are a model ,making machine Tony! I honestly don't know how you manage to knock out so many quality models in such a short space of time and always of subjects I would have in my collection!

I am also interested to knock how the enamel faired under your brush as the finish is excellent?

Regards

Jim

• Like 1

Yet another gorgeous Spitfire, I love the scheme. That's the first time I've seen the squadron codes in blue.

Were the markings in the kit or after market?

• Like 1

That's an absolutely gorgeous Spitfire, and I'd love to be able to airbrush a finish like that never mind brush paint it.

Stunning work,

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Thanks for your very kind remarks,...... glad you like it.

To answer your queries about the Humbrol paint,.....I was pleasantly surprised at how well the enamel went on.......it did need a little more sanding in between coats but not much,..... three coats of Middle Stone was a good result and much better than Polly Scale. The final coat was more like a dry brushed dapple application than a straight brushed on coat. It dried quite quickly too which was nice.

The decals were a mixture from a number of different after market decal sheets as some sheets are wrong, especially regarding the nose badge which is often incorrectly reproduced as being a 92 Sqn cobra and laurel leaf badge, rather than the correct Desert Air Force insignia which was worn by quite a few units.

It sems that one flight wore red codes and the other blue,.....each having a white individual letter. On the Mk.V`s this may have been MSG/ white?

Here are some of the reference photos that I used;

spitfire%2092sqdn-spitviii-jf476-2_zpsbn

spitfire%2092%20sqn-3_zps00olgjni.jpg

spitfire%2092%20sqn%20pilot%20getting%20

spitfire%2092%20sqn%20DAF%20badge_zpssez

Spitfire%20%2092-sqn%20pushed%20from%20m

spitfire%2092sqdn-spitviii-jf476-2_zpsbn

spitfire%2092%20sqn%20pilot_zpsygecmucp.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Fantastic Tony. Great scheme although I've never been a fan of the pointy wing Spits, but thats by no means a slant on your build. Still can't help but admire how you get such a great finish with your hairy sticks :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...