Photos of my father during his time in the BAOR

cookiemonster

Hello mates,

I am moving right now and during the cleanout of our basement I found these pictures of my father during his time in the BAOR. One also shows him in the first gulf war.

I will post these pictures with the original german explanation on the back (My mother was german, childs out of these area are called "ocupation childs") and try to translate them into english.

Since I am not that familiar with the british army terminology, I can only translate the captions word by word, so if anyone wants to correct me, please.

25780092fm.jpg
Ein zerstörte Irakische Panzer von Russland.
Das bin ich oben. Vorher habe ich einsatz gehabt fur uber 60 Stunden ohne Schlaf

A destroyed russian made iraqi tank.

That's me in top. Had a deployment earlier, almost 60 hours without sleep

25780093rp.jpg
Centurion ARV Bergpanzer

Centurion ARV recovery vehicle

25780094fb.jpg
Ferret "Scout Car" reconnisance Vehicle Spähafahrzeug

Ferret "Scout Car" reconnisance vehicle

25780095gb.jpg
Westland Scout beim tankung in "Hill Core" oder Green 23 auf unserer Landkarte

Westland Scout during refuleing in "Hill Core" or Green 23 on our map

25780096dh.jpg
Chieftain Bergpanzer

Chieftain recovery tank

25780098tt.jpg
Chieftain Brucklingpanzer mit No 8 Brücke

Chieftain bridgelayer with No. 8 bridge

25780099jp.jpg
Centurion Gun tank mit minen aufklärungs geräte vorne

Centurion Gun tank with a dozer blade installed

25780100zp.jpg
Centurion 105 mm Gun Tank mit Anhänger mit "Giant Viper" minen aufraumungs explosive System

Centurion 105mm Gun Tank with cart and "Giant Viper" anti mine dozer.

25780101ma.jpg
Ein "Stalwart" Gelände / wasser Fahrzeug nach ein Kollision mit ein Bruckenliege Panzer hat später sein Arsch abgefroren.

A "Stalwart" amphibious vehicle after a collision with a Bridgelayer. He froze his bottom off later

Hope you enjoy the pictures, have a nice day

cheers, cookie

• Like 20

Nice pics!

Ah the memories, BAOR, RAFG, GWI...

Christian, exiled to the dark continent and now somewhat sentimental for the good old days

• 2 months later...

Oh Yes memories, especially the Chieftain ARV...I commanded an ARRV for two years and that looks a lot like Soltau training area wher I spent an awful lot of my time between '76 and '86

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:10, Niallmhor4942 said:

So you must have met the "Legendary" Wolfgang with his blue Bratty van coming on to your location on Soltau Ranges then ?

Happy days !

A true legend of the cold war.

• Like 1

Some great photos there! Brings back many memories.

The Legendary Wulfram is dead now I believe.

As a very young Jock, whilst doing duty sentry in a secure and very secret BattleGroup HQ "Hide" Wulfram turned up in his blue van at the "very secret BattleGroup HQ "Hide"" ringing his bell. On being politely (but frantically) requested to leave Wulfram could suddenly speak no English or German.

... The RSM was running towards me with his voice rising to screaming pitch in sheer fury. 

In sheer panic these were my instant thoughts / IAs (Immediate actions):

1) Shoot Wulfram! (Yeah, seriously!)

2) Cocked my SLR, flicked the safety catch off and thought... Oh poo! Blanks!

3) Wake up you moron! (this is the polite version!). That might not go down too well with the Germans (or anyone else). 

So Wulfram lived to cook another day whilst I was reduced to a quivering wreck.

Edited by Murdo

The legend that is Wolfgang lives on in these T shirts, un ironed in my case but it brings back fond memories 

of trading jerry cans of benz and derv for fags and beer on Soltau training area.

P1060539

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dads203 said:

The legend that is Wolfgang lives on in these T shirts, un ironed in my case but it brings back fond memories 

of trading jerry cans of benz and derv for fags and beer on Soltau training area.

P1060539

I see the RMP are quite rightly at the back of the queue. Nobody is holding J cans though ;)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Greg B said:

I see the RMP are quite rightly at the back of the queue. Nobody is holding J cans though

Hey Hey we're the Monkeys, people say we're monkeying around. Singing that in the barracks at Lubbecke got me put on a 262. Happy days.

John.

• Like 1