1/72 Monagram Albatross

G'day All

This is the ancient Monogram UH-16B Albatross, surprisingly for such a widely used aircraft, this is still the only game in town as far as 1/72nd scale is concerned. Fortunately the kit is basically a good one and this one is built straight out of the box but has had the generous sprinkling of rivets removed. The decals are from an old Microscale sheet and after all this time preformed flawlessly although I have found that some of my carefully hoarded sheets disintegrate if brought anywhere near water. I first saw a mention of this kit, and in fact its manufacturer, Monogram, in an old issue of "Aeromodeller" magazine which carried what must have been one of the first articles dedicated to the then new plastic model kits. Although the editors could not see them replacing the traditional "Solid" balsa models, they found them an interesting diversion and were impressed that the Albatross featured a working retractable undercarriage and "Survivor" in a rubber dinghy to be posed along side. If you build one of these, incorporate the working under carriage feature as it doesn't detract from the model and does operate rather well.

Trev.

26928146313_879530e2c4_k.jpgIMGP7868 by Trevor Putterill, on Flickr

26927137454_daae8cb4ac_k.jpgIMGP7871 by Trevor Putterill, on Flickr

26928142213_a2b3120361_k.jpgIMGP7870 by Trevor Putterill, on Flickr

27502237006_f0790484f3_k.jpgIMGP7869 (2) by Trevor Putterill, on Flickr

• Like 24

That's really nice Trev - and a nice surprise as I was expecting a biplane! What paint did you use on the dark grey - I'm working on a Neptune in that scheme?

Take care,

Matt

Matt, it was an old Humbrol colour called either Engine Grey or Seaplane Grey. Good luck with the Neptune, a particular favourite of mine.

Trev.

Edited by vh-bob

Nice looking Albatross Trevor and very nice colour scheme, well done.

Guy