Panda Cougar JERRV

Next project: Panda Cougar JERRV in my favourite 1/35 scale.

A JERRV (Joint EOD Rapid Response Vehicleor Joint Engineering Rapid Response Vehicle) is any vehicle that United States military engineers and Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) units use in war zones such as Iraq. In this case based on the 6x6 Cougar built by Force Protection Inc. In 2004, the new Cougar was designed by a small British-led team in the US at Force Protection, Inc., in response to an urgent requirement by the US Marine Corps. This was a new design, developed in the US, based on an evolution of vehicle mine-protection technology used by the South African Army and Rhodesian Security Forces since the 1970s. The very first sketches of the new vehicle were made in late March 2004 in response to those initial USMC inquiries. The rapid development and production that followed was based upon the USMC request that the first vehicle be delivered within 6 months of an order - which was subsequently placed in mid-April 2004 for 27 units.

Back to the kit: there is an awful lot of plastic in the box

6746AB23-25BD-4FE8-8067-04DB26D748E2_zps

Some of you may recall my early comments on the Panda M-ATV. The under carriage was a nightmare, but it still built into a lovely vehicle which is why I decided to risk another Panda kit. Glad I did too: it's so much easier to assemble. 2 good evenings at the bench have got the undercarriage completed

499DAF31-308A-4422-A42A-DFEA9D7F799D_zps

932E99DC-46A3-42DB-9141-F93B6D742014_zps

There are some small draws and more than a few bits of excess glue in trying to get it all together but overall I'm happy with it.

Now to start on the interior....

• Like 1

Best of luck and you are a better man than me! I started mine and have declared the undercarriage rubbish and the kit unbuildable. If you've built MATV perhaps I could have some advice as I have that monster in the stash :)

My solution for this was to buy the Meng version, salvage the necessary bits from the Panda box and I intend to have a ceremonial kit burning.

Suffice to say sir, I am in awe if what you've managed to do so far :)

Leighton

Well Leighton, if you thought this was unbuildable then my honest advise on the M-ATV is to sell it before you start it....seriously! If you take something like any Tamiya kit as a base-line for ease of construction then on a scale of 1 to 10 Tamiya is a 1, this Cougar is a 5 and the M-ATV is a 10. It took me 5 months to build as I needed to take a break from it frequently due to the frustration, but I was too stubborn to give in. It can be build, but it won't be quick and it definitely won't be easy. No two parts fit together correctly on the undercarriage and it was over engineered with 6 or 7 parts where any other manufacturer would have had 1 part. You can see my build log here in the forum.

Now, the Meng Cougars on the other hand are supposed to be a joy to build. Haven't done one of them yet but any other Meng kits I have done were lovely. They are detailed and complex but fit of parts is not an issue from what I read. Debates rage on some other forums about the accuracy of the sizes of both Panda (6mm too narrow?) and Meng (14mm too long?) but I think that is irrelevant so long as you don't put two of them in the same diorama. It might meant that bits from the Panda JERRV will not fit right on the Meng version

Whichever option you go for please do share! And if you have any questions don't hesitate to drop me a PM if you want

Thanks Alpha & Francis, hope you enjoy the ride!

Latest lesson learned: pay attention to the instructions. There are two interior bases in the box and of course I used the wrong one. Thankfully hadn't attached too much stuff but did lose one of the pedals taking the front plate off

18427942-62C2-4B81-9E66-7623A332A424_zps

99184010-D648-472E-BA3F-0FAEE5D88846_zps

And well recovered now:

AAB23C41-038F-4EF3-86F7-6CFEB8FD7CC2_zps

The gunners pedestal has 13 parts!

682EA65E-7A53-4F1C-881D-C6CAC85C2070_zps

But actually goes together very nicely....

6D450F8A-9507-4FA6-81E9-AD40532A14B8_zps

In really liking this kit. 😀

• Like 1

Thats looking great, dont you think model manufacturers just over complicate things to knock the part count up, 13 parts for a seat where 3 would have done, dont get me wrong if a item justifies fair enough but two legs !!

• Like 1

That looks like its going together nicely. In a mad moment I bought a Panda SUV thinking it would make a good addition to a diorama. The answer is yes so long as its been hit first by an RPG. I had a check to see if the parts came from the same kit. Unfortunately they did. The fit was really bad so your JERRV is looking good by comparison.

I'd add that its sometimes its good to have more parts than less. The gunner's pedestal is a good example. In the Meng Cougar it was impossible to separate the three parts from the sprue without breaking them. I ended up binning the parts and making my own. The more parts may mean more faffing around but sometimes its desirable. That said I do agree that some manufacturers are guilty of unnecessarily upping the parts count.

I'm looking forward to see how this progresses.

Hi Sean, i have this kit, and started to build it,and like others on here im not impressed,its now residing in the box, while i decide weather to carry on or bin it. I must say you are makeing a really good job of it, so maybe later i will have another go.

It's not the easiest kit David but it's not impossible either. Don't give up on it. But if you are going to bin I'll pay the postage for it 😃

• 3 weeks later...

Sratchbuild joy-stick for the Talon operator and resin monitor from Blast models

B7E321AC-A4C2-4FB3-B045-47F92EA384C0_zps

Had to add a back to the radio rack as it will be visable through the windows and the kit supplied radios are just a front face. It's all hollow behind.

7824C53F-07DD-4E3F-B39C-2DD50CADF65D_zps

The scrapes on the side of the dashboard, screen support, radio rack, seat and cooler are all from trying to fit the top hull half on. It would be OK as all those parts will not be visable but fitting the top on is not going easy.

The radio rack and explosives cabinet both catch on bolt heads on the interior walls. The air-con unit on the back is positioned too low for the bench that is below it. The top of the dashboard catchs the underside of the window frame. Lots of clean-up needed before it looks finer ;)

070DC9B7-ED8C-4880-BC76-A5837BB9E12A_zps

71374420-D382-4ECE-BCCB-35BE8CEF8E6B_zps

• Like 1

Looking good Sean, nice interior. Fitting the upper and lower parts of the hull on my Cougar were a nightmare. Lots of work with the file and sanding board to scrape off a bit of here and there. If I had to do it again I would have fitted the suspension and wheels after completing the hull. I had similar issues with the airco unit in mine. Similarly in the Meng version fitting the turret retainer ring before joining the hull parts was a complete #$$@#! Don't know if you have that on the Panda kit but you might want to give it a look before hand.

No actual pictures at the moment but Reilly, you were right! It is driving me demented. Trying to fit the top part of the hull is doing more damage than progress....

This is driving me insane. Top is on but not very well and I broke off so many bits doing it....

Fit at front and rear are OK

20F7CED6-A3CA-48C2-9895-9E6F8CB35AF0_zps

6853B7E7-E1E3-4DB0-89F7-6692F7F26ED4_zps

But the sides are a mess. Left side has a small gap from the door back, which could easily be filled, but a much bigger gap along the hood

6FB91884-FA97-421B-9539-7133E3E43B69_zps

Right side has a large gap the entire length.

341A908D-46BC-4F52-8978-24FEF43C0270_zps

With a lot of glue and some serious pressure I might be able to reduce this a bit. And all of this after a lot of sanding, cutting etc. Anyway left & front are already glued so it's not coming off again.

If I were to do one again I'd not put the bins, bumpers or suspension in until after the two hull halves were closed up.

• Like 2

thats bad designing by Panda, sort of money kits cost these days you would think the bits would go together fairly easy, did they not have anyone put this through QC and try and build one !. I salute your valiant efforts and bulldog attitude