Glue?

This might be a daft question but here we go, with some tentative steps Im starting to bash/ scratch build in an effort to build my own scifi / gundam style model armor. The parts I have are made from all sorts of different plastics and metals and the question is how to I get all these different material to stick together, will good old super glue work or is there something better?

Cheers.

Superglue will work on everything but polythene type plastic.

I prefer the gel type when bonding dissimilar materials.

You could also use two-part epoxy glues, eg Araldite

I find the epoxies are all much the same.

I've tried the one from a £1 shop. It did ok on some jobs but not on others.

But I prefer the original ~ Araldite

Also I prefer the tubes. I find I can never get a proper re-seal of the syringe type dispensers and the glue leaks out in my glues box making a right ole mess.

• Like 1

Also I prefer the tubes. I find I can never get a proper re-seal of the syringe type dispensers and the glue leaks out in my glues box making a right ole mess.

I always pull the plungers back a bit after dispensing so there is a bit of an air gap (1/4 inch or so) in the nozzles. It seems to work for me, dont have any leakage problems.

Have been known to try and fit the cap on the wrong way though ...which just goes to show you cant make anything foolproof!

• 1 month later...

Solvent type glues for most applications. (Toluene, Methylethylketone, Dichloromethane etc.)

Isocyanoacrylates (C/A Superglue) or epoxy for bonding dissimilar materials (metal to plastic or wood to glass etc.)

Epoxy is MUCH stronger than C/A and gives you more work time but C/A is nice and quick.

Aliphatic resins (carpenters glue) for most porous materials like wood.

Lots more types out there but that covers most of the basics... :bye: