Komatsu Air Base, Japan, May 2016

JeffreyK

Hello,

I finally managed to process a few pictures from my most recent Japan visit. When went on a 2-day trip to Kanazawa and Yamanaka-Onzen and stopped at Komatsu air Base for a couple of hours. Lots of flying activity there, lots of F-15's, sadly no aggressor schemes (which I was hoping for...).

The viewing spot is near the N/W end of the runway so the angles I got were all pretty much the same, but I was pretty happy to have seen quite a lot in a very short space of time.

DSC_0044a_zps5s48bsgu.jpg

DSC_0091a_zpsqx6d15ix.jpg

DSC_0145a_zpsx1euuh6z.jpg

DSC_0155a_zpsvyrvyfrj.jpg

DSC_0173a_zpsl04rldud.jpg

I want to have this one in 1:48:DSC_0220a_zpso82sp24l.jpg

DSC_0226a_zpshlc4gwpc.jpg

DSC_0249a_zpskevdm8mi.jpg

DSC_0274a_zpsbitvqs8d.jpg

This F-15J has some interesting stuff in its back - seems to be extra sensors and warning markings...?DSC_0280a_zpsfbfcvdny.jpg

DSC_0323a_zpsbqkzucul.jpg

DSC_0380a_zpsojoaq0n0.jpg

DSC_0397a_zpsuoyvvunt.jpg

Komatsu has a shared military and civilian runway so this A321 got in the mix as well:

DSC_0454a_zpsfzbfgpqa.jpg

On the train back to Osaka we passed near Komatsu again. I wish I had had my camera ready then as two F-15's were taking off - just their black silhouettes (banking hard) with full afterburner against dark blue/red sky with the setting sun...would have been a great photo....

Jeffrey

• Like 4

Agreed, nice shots! ! Question, on the 9th photo down on the training missle. Those are strange looking fins! I have never seen that before. Is that a Homegrown version of a sidewinder?

No way, that's a coincidence!!

It's a beautiful city, one of the nicest I've seen in Japan (I do prefer the Japanese countryside to the cities). The Kenrokuen Garden alone is worth the visit.

Jeffrey

Yes, as the 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art.

If you like the japanese countryside, not so far from Kanazawa I recommend you a visit to the famous village of Shirakawa-gō.

Regards

V.P.

Yes, been to the museum as well. Unfortunately the swimming pool was closed...

Shirakawa-gō has been on our list for a while as well. This time we went to Tōjinbō, very very nice (the sea food as well). That UH-60J actually few past while we were there. And Yamanaka Onsen.

Cheers

J