1/144 East African Super VC10

Snap - I am building this as we speak, I got the 26Decals though - before I saw Classic-Airlines one. Love Nicks' work!

Beautiful work Mike, ( especially all that pitot tube action - nice details from Roden ), and not to try and hijack the tread - the build I finished this morning.

EAA_zpst774mgkf.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike but I hope we don't have to wait 76 years for your Comet to appear on our screens in the RFI ?

Looks like a real corker and my tongue's hanging out in anticipation of some more pics.

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

I keep coming back to this ( and yes, drooling ). The item of your builds that always sticks out as so magnificently done ( er, not to say that all parts aren't great ) are the engine intake metal rims. They are always just so shiny / gleamy and perfectly straight edged. You use alclad, yes?

I am looking at mine with increasing discontent - a jar of Testors silver, old brush, and holding my breath while doing freehand circles. Mike, you are making me look at ways to improve!

Thanks again Mike. I've used Alclad in the past but I'm finding myself leaning towards AK Interactive Extreme metals recently. Not sure if it's my imagination but I find them a bit more forgiving ?

As for the straight edges, I'm afraid I'm one of those (the only one ?) who thinks masking is quite relaxing. It's when you pull off the masking and find paint bleed underneath - that's when the blood starts boiling !

:badmood:

Many thanks for the kind comments - much appreciated.

The Roden SVC is quite a nice kit but the parts do need a bit of cleaning up after they've been snipped off the sprues. I've another one in the stash but both kits suffered from window issues - the windows got smaller and smaller as you moved towards the ends, as the flash got larger and larger. Not too much of an problem as I tend to fill them in and stick decals on top anyway.

The wheel halves were also a bit mismatched in their mouldings so there was quite a bit of elbow grease involved in making them look presentable. Thank heavens I had some extra grease lying around as the engine parts needs some to blend all the pieces together too, although they certainly weren't as difficult as their Boeing 720

Would I build another ?

Hell, yes !

Just a pity that there weren't many color schemes to choose from, but having said that, it shouldn't stop me from stretching my tiny imagination........

...I'm pretty sure that I can think of at least one former colony that could have flown SVCs ?..........

• Like 1

We had to polish those Nose Caps for Royal/VVIP/VIP flights. The counter sunk bolts that hold them on are something I've never seen before,the thread starts then stops then a plain shank then starts again. If the bolt starts undoing inflight it gets to the plain portion and cant restart the final threads,trapped in the hole and not down the engine, so simple its brilliant.

Brilliant indeed but doesn't surprise me from a team led by George Edwards.

Many thanks for the kind comments - much appreciated.

The Roden SVC is quite a nice kit but the parts do need a bit of cleaning up after they've been snipped off the sprues. I've another one in the stash but both kits suffered from window issues - the windows got smaller and smaller as you moved towards the ends, as the flash got larger and larger. Not too much of an problem as I tend to fill them in and stick decals on top anyway.

The wheel halves were also a bit mismatched in their mouldings so there was quite a bit of elbow grease involved in making them look presentable. Thank heavens I had some extra grease lying around as the engine parts needs some to blend all the pieces together too, although they certainly weren't as difficult as their Boeing 720

Would I build another ?

Hell, yes !

Just a pity that there weren't many color schemes to choose from, but having said that, it shouldn't stop me from stretching my tiny imagination........

...I'm pretty sure that I can think of at least one former colony that could have flown SVCs ?..........

Not too many colour schemes indeed, but BOAC's blue and gold has to be the sexiest airliner colour scheme of all time.

• Like 3

I had a similar fantasy thought - about 10 airlines from all over the Empire and Commonwealth with their liveries draped over this Super VC10

• Like 1

Blimous ! How did I miss this Vicki-10 - its superb so top marks to you for adding yet another smashing piece of 1/144 work to the forum.

I never flew on a VC-10 but went to Brooklands last week in a hurry between 2 meetings. I went on the Sultan of Oman's old VC10 and was really impressed at just how great these proper planes were - and sat on the flight deck with the guide was one of BA's old Concorde captains (mentioning no names here) giving his own account of his time and service on these beautiful planes in his younger days of service.

Your model is stunning - thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Mike - a very nice completed VC10! I notice you have added the 2 extra small wing fences per wing and scribed a cargo door - so I will copy for mine if I may! I am planning on trying the Roden decals - the RFI will show how this plan turns out!

• Like 1

I'll let Mike answer that question, because he built his properly.

On mine, I almost resorted to garden shears to remove the numerous, thick, 'gates' along the fuselage. So pronounced in fact, one could comb out a buffalo with them it seemed.

Anyway, second question for you Mike ( wish you were here in L.A. so I could have you visit and teach techniques ) What colour grey did you use? Or rather, it seems a little darker than the standard Gull Grey I use for Boeings and Airbusses.