Bomber Command Twins Twin Build! Valom Hampden & Airfix Whitley

I've been procrastinating over masking these ruddy clear parts on the Hampden and nearly put it back in the box, but had a day of insanity yesterday and cracked on. Just the rear upper clear part to mask now. Most Hampden photo's show them parked with the cooling gills open. IMO, this is a feature that lets the Valom kit down as they are barely visible, so I made new ones from plasticard. Also, the tail planes have external strengthening (?) plates as per the photo below, so they were added from strip card. Nearly ready for painting now :)

photo2_zpsxxk8hi0l.jpg

24_zps4bp7d6ld.jpg

27_zps1k0ps3mw.jpg

25_zpshf6dzhcc.jpg

26_zpstlbdoxyp.jpg

28_zpsdrlb6jm7.jpg

29_zpspibweamq.jpg

• Like 12

I always forget how thin the Hamper looks Woody - that's a great photo to display the cross-section.

photo2_zpsxxk8hi0l.jpg

Nice additions on the gills and strengtheners - this is shaping up to be a spiffy build of this aircraft. I'm enjoying your progress immensely.

Tony

• Like 1

It looks rather fighter like, this is a great photo isn't it?

Well both aircraft are ready for paint now. Got the last of the masking done earlier and fitted the wing lights so hopefully they'll be painted by next weekend...

going off past experience, this should lead to airfix bringing a new tooled one out just as I finish :rolleyes:

30_zps3sx5z3t4.jpg

31_zpsa9rxxroz.jpg

32_zpsv5lmmhgh.jpg

• Like 6

Looking superb as usual Neil. Always impressed by your application of the dark earth and dark green cammo and subsequent weathering. This wip is certainly no different.

You must be over the moon with all of these compliments on your Hampden.  :rofl:

Chris.

• Like 1

Lovely stuff Neil, they look like their made of teak... Should be ready in time then :whistle:....(kiss of death). Nice work on the details especially the Hampden's gills, looks far more interesting with them gaping. 

Better had do Radders, he keeps telling us he's building one, but we want evidence 😜

Regarding the big RCM Libby, yes it'll be done...and will appear as evidence in the case at the opening of play M'lud, just need to nip down to the local modelling emporium and stock up with a few cases of Night Black !

• Like 1

18 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

Very nice indeed. Gunze Dark Earth? . I had one of the FM Hampdens & one of Halifax bomber kits . Needless to say I have finished neither. On both of them I could not face the appalling vac transparencies.

I nearly put this Hampden back in the box several times due to the fiddlyness of the clear parts. The dark earth is Mr Hobby, goes on nicely. 

Fingers crossed we get new injection moulded of each.

• Like 1

The painting is done now, decals have started. The Whitley will be finished as T4134 GE-T of 58 Sqn lost on a mission to Bremen in September 1940. The decals are the Xtradecal ones for GE-B and some generic letters to make up the difference. I've abandoned Photobucket after two days of trying to get on to upload a picture, patience has run out!

30447288712_af08b6643f_b_d.jpg

30447288432_271da03489_b_d.jpg

The aircraft came down intact and the crew became POW's, photo's of the real aircraft below...

Courtesy of Aircrewremembered.com

30265120470_d1c9b63079_b_d.jpg

30476404041_b026acec36_b_d.jpg

The Hampden is progressing at the same rate, although I'm still torn on schemes at the moment...

30563874455_0695fd4e39_b_d.jpg

30563873775_10573d11a0_b_d.jpg

• Like 10

Great seeing these two nearing the finish-post in a photo-finish. The photos are excellent btw and show up what a great finish you've achieved on the camo Neil.

Great stuff, :thumbsup2:

Tony

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

The photos are excellent btw and show up what a great finish you've achieved on the camo Neil.

Great stuff, :thumbsup2:

Tony

I have to agree with Tony.  Great result Neil.

Chris.

Both of these re looking great, I hope they make Telford!

Very wise of you to dump Phototurd, I got fed up and gave them the push a few months ago. I have better things to do with my time than prat around for ages only to be told that "the computer says no".

Martian

Well on the basis of this thread, instead of finishing off the T4/5 lightnings; Spitfire XII; a coupe of Churchill's and numerous other projects that have vanished off into the cupboard that that should never be opened, I now find myself fettling the Valom Hampden to go with the Whitley I finished earlier in the year.  Not going to the detail you have for the interior, but will add the plates on the tail and may be the cooling fins.  Did pick up the Valom Harrow last night, and that looks rather nice, so that is taunting me to start it too!

Tim (who will finish something one day)

• Like 1