Venator class Attack Cruiser

Hi everyone

I wasn't going to post a WIP here because of late, my WIP's have lead to an unfinished status, and also, it's a PITA trying to maintain 4-5 different postings, but I now figure why not? I know I'm supposed to be doing the Gatlantis carrier, but I need a break from that

This is my second attempt at super detailing Revell's Venator class Attack Cruiser. My first one was OK, but it was my very first ever attempt at detailing and there were a lot of mistakes made. However, that was 4 years ago and since then, I reckon I have come a long way in making things look like they work as opposed to just being stuck on.

These kits are now quite rare online and go for stupid money, but I was lucky and was sold to very very cheaply. I can also see why to as this was the Pre-painted version. Now, I don;t know who "paints" these but I swear, they must be like 4 or 5 years old because that is the skill level of who ever does it. Shockingly bad! So, I had to strip it all back to bare plastic before I could start. Ii have no idea what Revell use as paint on these but man - it's hard to get off. It would have gone a lot quicker had I had some ELO, but alas, I didn't. So I tried out Strip Magic and I'll be honest, I found that it's no where near as good as they advertise it to be. It might work well on acrylic but not on anything else.

Moaning aside, here is where I am up to currently

First up are the engine nozzles. I made the first one with the idea to cast resin replicas to ensure uniformity, but that did not work out so well as they had a lot of air bubbles and the PE parts came off the base part when I removed it from the mold, so it looks like I'm going to have to do all 4 separately. Casting could work well if I was able to pressure cast them, but I just don't have the equipment for that. I also had to change out the PE parts I was using as they were not big enough to fill the spaces. They work much better now.

IMG_3411_zpswjvxbps0.jpg

IMG_3412_zpsvhrbg4pq.jpg

Mine Versus Revell's:

IMG_3383_zpspvmiyfvo.jpg

I have also made a start on Engine #1. So far, I have done 2 sides, with another 2 to do and another 3 engines on top of that - trying to keep each one the same. This'll be interesting!

IMG_3404_zpsoietvtpk.jpg

IMG_3409_zpscgnz561a.jpg

IMG_3408_zpsdx4qef9b.jpg

IMG_3405_zpsfhhbootx.jpg

IMG_3413_zpsmqhycqud.jpg

Anyways, that's where I am up to and will be back again with another update once I have actually done something

Thanks for looking

MH

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 14

LOL - thanks guys

I spent 4 hours last night doing the other 3 nozzles - and I'm still not finished them. The longest part was chopping up 2 entire strips of .60 Evergreens into 6mm parts for the fins and also getting the brass tube inserts cut up ready to go in

Pics later

• Like 1

LOL - thanks guys

I spent 4 hours last night doing the other 3 nozzles - and I'm still not finished them. The longest part was chopping up 2 entire strips of .60 Evergreens into 6mm parts for the fins and also getting the brass tube inserts cut up ready to go in

Pics later

All the intricate detail you've added looks fantastic. Your nozzles are sooo much better than the stock ones. What are you using for the brass tubing if you don't mind me asking? I've seen paper clips being used in the same way, but the those look like something else entirely.

• Like 1

hahaha, yeah it is a bit!

Thanks guys.

All the intricate detail you've added looks fantastic. Your nozzles are sooo much better than the stock ones. What are you using for the brass tubing if you don't mind me asking? I've seen paper clips being used in the same way, but the those look like something else entirely.

Thanks mate - I like them to :)

The tubing is 15mm diameter brass tube that I got from a hobby shop years ago when I did the first one. It's cut to a length of 12mm. I am yet to add the little fins that go around the edge to hold it in place. That's the hardest part but it'll look awesome once it's done (or at least I think so)

• Like 1

Hi all

Time for an update. The first nozzle is now all done and the other 3 are not far off being finished either. They just need their fins added.

IMG_3415_zps5ccimvnl.jpg

IMG_3431_zpsvt0r7oy2.jpg

IMG_3432_zpsncz8kni7.jpg

IMG_3433_zpsjv7r3nwh.jpg

IMG_3434_zpsfjicou1u.jpg

IMG_3435_zps8dwbv2wc.jpg

I have also done a couple of other small things like removing the hangar bay - this time nice and neatly - not hack sawed out like last time! (bad idea BTW). I have also installed the first set of windows into the superstructure. Why now? I just felt like doing them for some strange reason.

IMG_3417_zpsjawc7q7z.jpg

IMG_3419_zpsypl0qls0.jpg

I have also thinned down the 2 small rear shields so they don't look so clunky

IMG_3422_zpshwh3g819.jpg

IMG_3426_zpst99z0a9z.jpg

The thinning is a bit hard to see in that last picture though.

Anyways, that's all I have for now, but I will update again soon

Thanks for looking

MH

• Like 12

Getting all the fins aligned around the brass tube must have been a hell of a job

Your not half wrong. But once you get into a rhythm it gets easier. They didn't take too long to do either

I've now finished all of them:

IMG_3436_zps3c7q7vmr.jpg

Need to get cracking with the rest of these engines - still a long way to go yet

• Like 10

This is looking Proper 'Bo :) I was looking through the DK Star Wars Complete Vehicles book last night with the Boy, and I'd forgotten the majority of the ships from the Prequels. This was one of the few I'd remembered. Weird, innit? Was it because of my focus as a boy at the time of the originals, coupled with the relatively poor quality of the following/preceding trilogy? :hmmm:

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Mike, I know what you mean. I forgot some of them to. I quite liked some of the craft in the prequels, although not all of them. The Nubian yacht was pretty cool and the Trade Federation battle ship at the beginning of the ROTS is quite a cool design that's quite understand rated.

• 7 months later...

ha - oddly enough, I've had this out over the past couple of days and had been adding some surface detail to the back of the upper hull piece. It was a start but like everything else of late, it got put back in it's box until the next time I feel like working on it

• Like 3