Yak-9DD wing root intake question

Nachtwulf

I was searching through my meager Yak-9 references in order to brush up for a build and I had some questions about the Yak-9DD square wing root intakes.I have noticed in some pictures that there is some sort of door/cover blocking the root intakes and it doesn't seem to matter whether the engine is running or not. Does anyone here have any god pictures or reference for this? I have searched the internet but all the pictures I find are small and grainy and I can only tell that something is there. My main questions are thus:

Is the intake covered by a door that is operated by the pilot, or is it a plug that is used by the ground crew to block it off?

If it is part of the aircraft does it rotate into position or it it a flap?

This seems to only apply to the rectangular root intakes.

Here is a link to the best picture of the cover I can find:

http://www.airpages.ru/img/yak9_1.jpg

Thanks Warhawk! :thumbsup2: The first picture is definitely the best shot I've seen of the area in question. Now it seems that I can say the

cover/door is not flat. Isn't the first picture a Yak 9k/T? Wow those panels on the nose are ill fitting!

Anyone else? :tumble:

Edited by Nachtwulf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

there was a similar door inside the ducts of late MiG-3s. This door was operated by the landing gear mechanism and opened when the landing gear was retracted. When it was closed, air for the engine entered through the landing gear bay.

Regards

Massimo

Good to know! :thumbsup2: Although from photos it appears that on the Yak 9 the door is open most of the time on the ground. I still would like to know how it functioned.