ZTS - 1/72 IL-2m3 Winter 1944 "Finished ! "

• 1 month later...

Working away from home today offers the chance to drag this build nearer to completion.

With lots to do at home Mrs Jockney is...... well let's just say unsupportive, when I try to sit down and have half an hour to myself gluing bits of plastic together badly.

First pic shows our cannon building material, you might recognise it as "twin and Earth" electrical wiring, the earth wire looks about right for the wing cannons

image_zpsnugt1tap.jpeg

Now with cannons fitted, this wire is too thick for the pitot tube so, I've left that off for now. Also took the opportunity to fit the canopy which was "cleared" into position as I was worried the canopy plastic might react badly to glue.

image_zpsypqyg8zl.jpeg

Of course being away from home, I then find I have forgotten some of the paints I had intended to bring. So a choice, make no progress and complain to yourself at the lost opportunity, or take a chance ! Well I went for the later. With a very rough brush I applied the site winter paint without the cameo colours underneath, I'm hoping with a diluted second coat over the top once the first one is dry it will look OK, if it doesn't, it's another on for the shelf of doom !

image_zpsflam7uuo.jpeg

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

No, surely not the Shelf of Doom! :o. It will look fine after a thinned coat or two. :thumbsup2:

Don't give up :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You are an honorary Trackhead Jockney as the IL-2 was a flying tank!

That looks pretty good from here. The real thing was pretty 'distressed' after being on the front line for more than half an hour so I don't think you can overdo it on the weathering.

Learstang appears to be hiding his light a bit as he's written a good looking book on the subject which is on my Christmas list.

There is a bit of film, no doubt staged, showing a Red Army attack with IL-2s (?) flying support at about 50 feet altitude, very impressive.

• Like 3

I shouted myself Jason's book last Christmas, I was so impressed that I could read it without falling asleep as I tend to on really dry techical tomes. Thats a recommendation for Jasons book if ever I gave one. Its really made me see these aircraft in a new light. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

Thank you very much for mentioning my humble little book, SleeperService and Steve! Pat, my advice to you would be to pick up my book and if you don't like your scheme find a scheme in there you like to paint your model in. Now owzat! for shameless self-promotion!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for my absence in this GB

Having spent ages masking the canopy, I might as well not have bothered as you can see from the photos below.

image_zpsgcv1t7ds.jpeg

image_zps5ctslbsi.jpeg

image_zpsy06yg5ze.jpeg

However I am happy with the "thrown on" look of the winter camouflage, this very handily gives an excuse for my dodgy painting !

Next we find out if the decals are still any good after all these years. I will soak them in Decalfix to give them a fighting chance of surviving their application.

cheers Pat

• Like 4

I tried using some elasticated thread for the radio wire, haven't used it before but fingers crossed it seems very good and dirt cheap compared with eezyline, I do live in Scotland you know and we have a reputation for being "careful" with our money ! :violin:

Next stop decals, oh and whether to weather ? Not done weathering before so don't want to completely cock up the build experimenting. :doh:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

The canopy looks fine Pat. I think I was rambling on about this kit's canopy from the start, it's certainly not the easiest part of the kit :frantic: .

If I remember correctly the decals tend to last, decades! The only thing is they seem to get 'dry'. I remember my red bits wanted to dry out and fall off all the time (fnaar :o ).

Could be an 'apply to drop of future' etc moment. I didn't know about techniques like that when I built this one around 13-14 years ago.

Weathering :hmmm: . Never done that either, scary :door: ! the Sarge's suggestions sound good.

Still, it could *just* have been field painted in distemper. ;) 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Canopy looks fine to me Pat.....Almost there now fella!  :thumbsup:

The torn sponge technique works well for minimal chipping, just remember to turn and rotate each bit of sponge as you use it, to avoid generating a repeating pattern.....Would recommend experimenting on a mule first just to get familiar with the technique and build your confidence up. :coolio:

• Like 2

Hey, good news.

The decals have survived and are usable, just as well with an impending deadline for the end of this GB. I used my Decalfix to soak the decals and although I had visions of the famous Novo desolving decals, my fears were unfounded, although they didn't want to leave the backing paper without a fight all survived the trip. :fraidnot::fight:

I'm going to call this done, as I haven't done weathering before, So I need to practice on something on the shelf of shame, after asking the Sarge for a tutorial :worthy:

Pictures are below, I'll take Tony's tip and say the ground crew just finished painting it !

image_zps30vkqzpl.jpeg

image_zpsdlmagshs.jpeg

image_zpsdm2wbmug.jpeg

image_zpsoth17bhc.jpeg

Let me know what you think and I'll put it in the ever growing gallery of this amazing GB.

cheers Pat

• Like 4

Yay :thumbsup: ! 'Tis done!

It looks brill, a lot better than my old filler heavy canopy blobby attempt did!

It can always be weathered later, after it has taken out a few German tanks :wicked::fight: .

Get that Shturmovik in the gallery old chap :D 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Great result fella, really glad you made it to the gallery!  :thumbsup:

I find paint chipping very tricky myself and TBH my opinions on the whole subject are somewhat mixed.....I'm not entirely convinced that it's appropriate for AFV paintwork (tanks are tough), but it's very suitable for temporary schemes like whitewashes, especially on a tank.  ;)

• Like 1

Congratulations Pat! :goodjob:

I don't know if the sight of all this Winter camo, but I've just felt the need to put the heating on for the first time this year.:cold:

Cliff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2016 at 10:52 PM, stevehnz said:

I'd say that came out better than expected after the hassles its given you, good job on it. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks very much for all the encouragement, I'm really pleased to have got it done in time.

Unusual for me I can assure you ;)

cheers Pat

On 29/09/2016 at 11:27 PM, MadNurseGaz said:

Well done! Looks pretty good to me, especially considering the fight it put up!

Hi

Yes, I have to say I agree. I thought having a kit all sealed in its original bag unopened somehow meant it would all be ok.... Well we all make mistakes :doh:

However it does feel good to have had the final word and beaten it into submission ! :deadhorse:

cheers Pat

On 30/09/2016 at 8:56 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Yay :thumbsup: ! 'Tis done!

It looks brill, a lot better than my old filler heavy canopy blobby attempt did!

It can always be weathered later, after it has taken out a few German tanks :wicked::fight: .

Get that Shturmovik in the gallery old chap :D 

Best regards

TonyT

Hi Tony

Thanks very much for all the encouragement / Kick up the bottom you supplied, to get this one finished. When I said in the Gallery I consider this build to have been a team effort. I really meant it :partytime:

By the way, I've found a GB you seem to have missed its the Matchbox GB, surely you're not going to let that one pass you by :wicked:

cheers Pat

On 02/10/2016 at 3:31 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Great result fella, really glad you made it to the gallery!  :thumbsup:

I find paint chipping very tricky myself and TBH my opinions on the whole subject are somewhat mixed.....I'm not entirely convinced that it's appropriate for AFV paintwork (tanks are tough), but it's very suitable for temporary schemes like whitewashes, especially on a tank.  ;)

Hi Sarge

As I was saying to Tony I really appreciate all the encouragement, and I will have a go at weathering on one of my shelf of doom victims, that way I can make a complete Horlicks of it without washing all my laundry in public :poo:

cheers Pat

On 02/10/2016 at 11:44 AM, CliffB said:

Congratulations Pat! :goodjob:

I don't know if the sight of all this Winter camo, but I've just felt the need to put the heating on for the first time this year.:cold:

Cliff

Thanks very much Cliff

Your support on people's builds is always appreciated. Mrs Jockney has been told she can't have the heating on until the first snow this winter. Although I'm always very brave when she's out of earshot ! :chair:

cheers Pat

• Like 3