Airfix / Aeroclub Canberra B.2 WH640

Only the second build to cross the finish line this year, the Canberra is now done. Not one of my best builds, probably trying to rush to get it off the bench having stared at it for so long, but the paintwork is surprisingly complicated, not only with stripes, but with cut outs in the stripes for the codes, damn inconsiderate of the RAF to do this! At some point, I'd like to do a silver one as the Canberra has such graceful lines that are lost somewhat on this scheme.

Built using the Airfix PR.9 (Edit: B(1).8!!!), CMK gear bay and flap sets, Aeroclub wheels and B.2 conversion and scratch built bomb bay with thanks to John (Canberra Kid) and his excellent website (http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/) for some great references. The decals were a mix of Airfix and Model decal for WH640. Despite my best efforts, there is still evidence of silvering on them.The intake FOD covers were Flightpath ones, although slightly too big they were filed down until they fitted in to the intakes as they should. You can see the build HERE

The B.2 conversion comes with a resin canopy, but I used the Aeroclub vac form one instead. Despite sticking a ruddy great bolt up front, it is still a tail sitter, so had to use the supplied tail stand in the Airfix kit which I've photoshopped out of most of the photo's.

f4_zpskrqcunn5.jpg

f1_zpsd2zz8ltf.jpg

f2_zpsmaeelgd3.jpg

f3_zps7c4vgcoa.jpg

f6_zpsy3dho3zt.jpg

f7_zpspdxb4pjo.jpg

f8_zpsozfm5bzb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Neil

• Like 57

Hi Neil,

Like that very much. Always liked the Canberra, even more so as I live in the aircraft's namesake.

I was curious about the black and white Suez stripes, but I know your work well enough now to know you'll have done your research.

Hopefully this will motivate me to do my old Airfix B.6

Great job,

Matt

• Like 1

Excellent job as usual Neil,.....I love this scheme on the Canberra and you have pulled it off to a tee,...... I have an Airfix Canberra hovering next to my desk shouting out to be built and you may have helped its cause mate.

Matt & Reini- The black and white stripe were adopted by some aircraft due to a lack of yellow paint in Cyprus! They had already exhausted the Mid Stone coloured paint used by vehicles in this theatre before finally resorting to white!

Cheers

Tony.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Cheers guys. Having had it on the bench for so long, I've kinda fell out of love with it for the time being, so its great to see your comments :)

Another cracker Neil.

Did you do some post shading on the green on this one - or is it all pastels? Whatever - the paint finish is signature good :)

Hi Steve,

I did some very light post shading by adding a drop of white for the centre of the panels after getting each colour down then a touch of pastels afterwards in the usual way. The other thing I did was vary the matt finish across the surface too so that the centre of panels are slightly more glossy to add another dimension to the surface finish. The photo's don't bring this effect out here but its quite noticeable in the flesh :)

• Like 2

Congratulations Neil on a superb canberra it looks great just the right amount of weathering.

Well done.

Guy

• Like 1

That looks a superb build, well done! Great choice of colour scheme as well.

Is there a reason that you based it on the PR.9 kit, as the wings would have to be changed unlike using the B(I).8 kit?

There was a tail prop for the real aircraft, due to tipping on tail issues when being fueled.

I'm surprised that there still isn't a decent 'fish bowl' canopy Canberra in 72nd.

• Like 1

Another stunner Neil,absolute beauty!

(yes, I am being lazy just repeating what I said in your finished post in your wip thread, but I can't think of anything else to say, except that is a glorious Canberra!)

Keith

• Like 1

That looks a superb build, well done! Great choice of colour scheme as well.

Is there a reason that you based it on the PR.9 kit, as the wings would have to be changed unlike using the B(I).8 kit?

There was a tail prop for the real aircraft, due to tipping on tail issues when being fueled.

I'm surprised that there still isn't a decent 'fish bowl' canopy Canberra in 72nd.

Cheers guys.

I couldn't get hold of a b(1).8, but the lines on the 2 were different anyway as far as I'm aware due to the addition of tanks from the 6 onwards. I don't feel too bad now about the rail sitter if they had issues with the real one!

That is certainly one of the best Canberra's I've seen. I really like the colour scheme and the subtle weathering.

I love your bomber collection and I'm going dark green with envy.

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning Neil.

I remember getting the Modeldecal sheet when it first came out and wanting to build that particular option as soon as I could get one of the Airfix kits.

Enjoyed your WIP thread too Matey.

Chris.

PS Don't ask

• Like 1

Hello,Neil - The fact that this 'Canberra' build is only your second completion of the year so far is irrelevant.As the saying goes,it's quality rather than quantity that matters and that is exactly what I see here.A fine example of top quality modelling and finishing.I love it. ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1