Vanguard airfix 1/144

Link isn't working, for me anyway.Might be better to put it on here KLOSTER 0

There was some extra code in the link that was causing problems. The link showed:

http://http//i84.servimg.com/u/f84/16/03/74/40/img_2010.jpg%20BBCode

If you delete the second "http//" and the "%20BBCode" at the end, then use the "Image" button in the formatting toolbar, you get this (and it's a lovely model!):

img_2010.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely (despite the windshield).

Fond memories of sitting on the domestic pier at Ringway Airport watching them as a kid. I probably crossed that one off in my Ian Allan book.

Pete

• Like 3

I think the two six decals really bring something to the this old Airfix kit

which is so popular among modellers (the image page of Google for "airfix + vanguard"

is full of beatifull, eyecandy, awardwinning Vanguards ! very inspiring)

The only setback came from the frozen clear parts and lousy portholes, next time I'll use the decals as I did

for the Trident coming next (but I have only one pic)

cheers and thks to all

Foggy departure from Manchester (that will make up for the opaque windshield)img_2022.jpg

• Like 3

yes true !

I remember having taken notice after the kit was finished

unfortunately the kit no longer exists, it ws crashed accidentally by my dad

who I had built it for ... It's a phantom Vanguard now if I may say so..." It has ceased to be " would have said John Cleese

Very nice Vanguard, just to mention that the outer engines are black half way underneath

You probably know that G-APEC crashed with loss of all on board

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_European_Airways_Flight_706

Remember that one, I was up to my eyeballs in RAF training and the instructors rammed home the corrosion caused by leaking toilets,in fact that crash tightened up Bilge checks and extra protection to stop it happening again. I also remember PEE at Heathrow and the Invicta Vanguard crash with the women from Axbridge and other local towns in Avon into the ground in Swizterland.

• Like 1

Lovely Vanguard, I like the little diorama too,

I flew back from Malta on G-APEC just three weeks before its fatal crash. I used to note the reg's of planes I flew on as a kid, and for obvious reasons this one has stuck in my mind.

John

• Like 2

Lovely Vanguard, I like the little diorama too,

I flew back from Malta on G-APEC just three weeks before its fatal crash. I used to note the reg's of planes I flew on as a kid, and for obvious reasons this one has stuck in my mind.

John

How lucky were you? 3 weeks earlier,the bulkhead would have been almost ready to fail! Think about that for a minute...Phew!

• Like 1

I had no idea that G-APEC was the one who had the accident.

When my Dad broke the model I didn't feel like repairing

because I had weighted it with coins so it fell hard on the tiling

and the legs and wings broke off.

Kev 67 thanks for the information I had no idea ...

I feel a bit stupid about my silly joke of a phantom Vanguard (I was talking of my broken model of course)

please excuse me. My Dad is a retired B.A. staff (maintenance) and he had told me

about an accident with a Vanguard but nor he or me knew the registration of the machine involved.

Once again thanks to all of you for your kind and encouraging remarks and please excuse my stupid jokes.

How lucky were you? 3 weeks earlier,the bulkhead would have been almost ready to fail! Think about that for a minute...Phew!

I need to be careful and not cause thread drift on Klosters Vanguard here. But I have a couple of other snippets about 'EC.

The reason I remember it is that the accident happened so soon after the family had travelled on it. I've often wondered if there was an indication of pressure leak because I was sat right at the back at the starboard window seat. In flight I had the most severe ear pains that I have ever experienced before or since.I mean really nasty. My parents were well aware of my distress, but it went away after landing.

Secondly, there are some poignant entries in my fathers logbook. He was a Vanguard first officer in the 60's, and has multiple entries for 'EC, many of them with Captain Stan Key, who was later in command of Trident G-ARPI that stalled into a field at Staines.

This is one thread on a Vanguard that is stirring up some memories!

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Thank you John

I flew as a kid very often on BEA's Vanguards, Bac one-elevens, Tridents

as my Dad was maintenance chief of station in Berlin and later Paris.

Any evocation of these machines or a nicely built model will immediatly

carry me back to my childhood's best moments...

Cheers

Claude

• Like 2

Nice model and the Manchester fog will excuse your windscreen.

My friend Peter flew Vanguards (and nearly everything else that BEA had) and has fond memories of them. I show him every Vanguard post on here and he is impressed with how real the models look.

Richard

• Like 1

I think the BEA scheme is very attractive and you've certainly done it justice. Lovely work. Obviously a cold and frosty morning.

• Like 1