Imperial AT-ST "Journey through the swamp" (BANDAI) [WIP]

Here's the first version of the dio base with 3 levels, the wood figures the lowest level for all the "wet" parts, 6mm depron for the highest zones and végétation and 3mm depron for the prints. Once the dio is finished, I'll glue it to another rectangular piece of wood !

1110.jpg

1211.jpg

• Like 4

What I want to do is to use real plants for this dio. I used dry thyme and some pieces of dead wood. I also used flocking and Stuco to obtain a mudlike effect. It's a lot of work !

1510.jpg

1610.jpg

I also built a big Mushroom :) I'll have to make 2 or 3 more but I like the result.

1710.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I'm of the opinion that if something with ground pressure issues like an AT-ST were to walk through a swamp the footprints would be deeper.....A LOT deeper! If the crew were lucky they could probably swim for it through the top hatch after it fell over and started to sink! :analintruder:

But it's a beautiful model and it's space opera stuff, so none of that really matters.....Looking forward to more. :coolio:

You're right sgt... Even if the feet are wide and flat, probably to prevent this, the prints should be deeper. I think I'll accentuate them but not so much because I want the feet to stay visible. I'll fix that :)

The mud looks great. I'd say the foot prints were about right. The AT-ST's got pretty wide "duck" feet to spread the load, and I've always thought the body would be constructed from a lightweight composite. You wouldn't want heavy armour plate at the top of those legs.

That would also be one way of explaining why one crushed so easily when hit by the logs in the film. Composite would do that, armour plate wouldn't. My little theory, anyway.

Andy

• Like 4

The AT-ST's got pretty wide "duck" feet to spread the load, and I've always thought the body would be constructed from a lightweight composite. You wouldn't want heavy armour plate at the top of those legs.

That would also be one way of explaining why one crushed so easily when hit by the logs in the film. Composite would do that, armour plate wouldn't. My little theory, anyway.

Andy

See, now there's a great Space Opera mind at work.....Physics? Pah! :winkgrin:

PS - My comments here relate more to my general antipathy towards the whole combat walker concept than your build of an AT-ST in a swamp. :pipe:

• Like 1