1/48 Airfix Buccaneer S2B (Gulf War)

After much frustration with sourcing the correct Buccaneer (eBay sellers!!), I've now got what I need.

A big thank you to member Scimitar, for helping out.

Anyway, down to it. I'm going to build my Buccaneer to represent a Gulf War version. Who can't resist a "Pink Buccaneer"?

First things first, the MOST important ingredients for building an Airfix Buccaneer! :fight:

27336494546_48425f6b4f.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

Using the standard kit, plus:-

NeOmega cockpit

Scale Aircraft Conversions undercarriage

Airwaves Airbrake set

Heritage Aviation intake set

Montex mask

Master Model Pitot and refuelling probe

Kits World Warbirds decals

Flightpath AN/ALQ-101 ECM pod

Flightpath Paveway II LGB

2 x PJ Production pilots

27323062992_fdd110c1db.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

26214402824_0cc4a1edd4.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

26752295871_2bfdafb736.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

27421384815_36a2359208.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

26573876820_02e8c7e5a4.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

26215145393_6770cd894f.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

26314762593_805549b35a.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 8

Yeah a Buc! Will be following this one. Liking all the aftermarket looking forward to your progress.

Guy

• Like 1

So far so good.

The NeOmega cockpit is really good. Well detailed, and excellent fit.
The ejector seats are also very well detailed too.
I've made the cockpit quite "dirty" looking, which, I think befits the Gulf War subject. Once out on missions, they seemed to get filthy pretty quick!

26935783966_fd4c09db3b.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

26900910821_ce32e88b5b.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

26969462945_c43d21f14e.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

26875164772_120d6ffd6c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

26696034730_7b1d4c9251.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 10

I built a few Airfix Buccaneers ages ago. I remember reading advice to start glueing one side then working your way down that side then up the other side. If I recall rightly, it actually did help a lot but there was still a little bit of filling to do.

Is there any point in using the Scale Aircraft Conversion undercarriage set? The couple I've bought are nothing more than metal copies of the kit u/c faults and all (haven't seen the Buccaneer set but I don't imagine they've enhanced them ). Unless you're using them just to overcome the heavier model with all its aftermarket goodies.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 2

If I have read the box correctly, you have the version which can be built as an RN S2; the box says "5 schemes" and it looks like you have an un-bulged bomb bay door (on the left in your second sprue pic) as well as a bulged one (bottom of third sprue pic).

I too have wrestled with eBay sellers and have ended up with the version that can only be built as a RAF S2B (same box-top pic, but fewer schemes and only the pregnant bomb bay). Given my background, you won't be surprised to learn that I plan to build a Fleet Air Arm Buccaneer (actually 2; an Anti-Flash White S1 and an 809NAS S2).

Any chance you'd be prepared to part with the unused bomb-bay part (& unused RN decals, too, if poss)? I'll pay, obvs!

Come to think of it, one of the schemes in my kit is a pink Gulf jet; you're welcome to any of my un-used parts (slipper tanks, weaponry) and/or decals.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Is there any point in using the Scale Aircraft Conversion undercarriage set? The couple I've bought are nothing more than metal copies of the kit u/c faults and all (haven't seen the Buccaneer set but I don't imagine they've enhanced them ). Unless you're using them just to overcome the heavier model with all its aftermarket goodies.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

This is the first time I've bought SAC sets. And you're right, there nothing special. Won't buy them again, unless I have to.

Ian

Yes, I was disappointed with them too. If you're after strength for a heavy model then they're possibly worth buying but in no way are they corrected, enhanced or improved compared to the kit legs.

I forgot to mention you've made a cracking start on the kit, really great looking. Also, I may be one of those people who will annoy some but I've got 5 unstarted Airfix kits (maybe a couple more) that I'll never build. They're not close at hand (a good 500 miles away at least) but at some point in the future I'll be parting with them. Too many models, not enough time to devote to easy builders let alone those that require a little bit more attention.

Jeff

• Like 1

If I have read the box correctly, you have the version which can be built as an RN S2; the box says "5 schemes" and it looks like you have an un-bulged bomb bay door (on the left in your second sprue pic) as well as a bulged one (bottom of third sprue pic).

I too have wrestled with eBay sellers and have ended up with the version that can only be built as a RAF S2B (same box-top pic, but fewer schemes and only the pregnant bomb bay). Given my background, you won't be surprised to learn that I plan to build a Fleet Air Arm Buccaneer (actually 2; an Anti-Flash White S1 and an 809NAS S2).

Any chance you'd be prepared to part with the unused bomb-bay part (& unused RN decals, too, if poss)? I'll pay, obvs!

Come to think of it, one of the schemes in my kit is a pink Gulf jet; you're welcome to any of my un-used parts (slipper tanks, weaponry) and/or decals.

Hi

The flush bomb bay door has gone I'm afraid. The issue I had was that the Gulf War parts was missing, but the kit I was sent had the RN/SAAF parts instead. A fellow Britmodeller member was very helpful, and had the sprue, but asked for the flush bay door as a swap. As for the decals, they were missing too! I was getting aftermarket decals anyway.

Good luck with your builds, an S1 sounds interesting.

Ian

• Like 1

Hi

The flush bomb bay door has gone I'm afraid. The issue I had was that the Gulf War parts was missing, but the kit I was sent had the RN/SAAF parts instead. A fellow Britmodeller member was very helpful, and had the sprue, but asked for the flush bay door as a swap. As for the decals, they were missing too! I was getting aftermarket decals anyway.

Good luck with your builds, an S1 sounds interesting.

Ian

Thanks anyway; I have a Plan B - heritage do a recce bomb bay insert and the Navy used that far more than the RAF, so I might go with that! I also have ideas for the decals - there's a Model Alliance "Ark Royal Air Group" set which includes an S1.

My offer still stands re the Gulf-specific bits, if you find you are missing anything.

• Like 1

Thanks anyway; I have a Plan B - heritage do a recce bomb bay insert and the Navy used that far more than the RAF, so I might go with that! I also have ideas for the decals - there's a Model Alliance "Ark Royal Air Group" set which includes an S1.

My offer still stands re the Gulf-specific bits, if you find you are missing anything.

Cheers, thank you. I'll bear it mind:)

I don't know how detailed you are wanting to take your model.

The Neomega cockpit is missing the TV monitor between the nav's legs.

It was originally for the TV Martel missile, but was then used for Pavespike video. So would have been fitted to all the Granby jets.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/PaveSpikeinGranby.cfm

Just needs a quick bit of scratch building and the thigh guards on the rear ejection seat splaying out like the real thing.

I'm just in the closing stages of building a 237OCU Bucc in Pavespike fit. I feel your pain!!

Rob.

• Like 1

I don't know how detailed you are wanting to take your model.

The Neomega cockpit is missing the TV monitor between the nav's legs.

It was originally for the TV Martel missile, but was then used for Pavespike video. So would have been fitted to all the Granby jets.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/PaveSpikeinGranby.cfm

Just needs a quick bit of scratch building and the thigh guards on the rear ejection seat splaying out like the real thing.

I'm just in the closing stages of building a 237OCU Bucc in Pavespike fit. I feel your pain!!

Rob.

Hi Rob

Thanks for that link. I've got the cockpit installed (update to come). Might look and see how easy/difficult it would be. I'll installing a couple of pilots, so with them sitting in the seats, the extra detailing may not matter too much. The pilots have already had their legs "shortened", so that they fit anyway. I've found his seems to be a common thing with installing pilots.

Ian

Next update.

Got the seats finished. The ejection pull handles are from the original kit parts. I carefully cut off the handles themselves, from the plastic seat top. Sanded them just reduce the thickness, then superglued them to the resin seat. I think they've come out okay.

27107902425_d5e251b577.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

26833613920_d0b65a1c9b.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

Next up, I turned my attention to the canopy. Having masked and primed it, a test fit showed it to be about 2-3mm too wide at the base. To remedy this, I clamped it to the right width, then sat it on a heater for a few hours. End result, it's not now the correct size! Yay!!

26833608560_e1bb79a9df.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

I have also done the Heritage intakes. The detail on these is far superior to the plastic kit parts, which are devoid of any detail what so ever. And a dry fit shows they'll be less hassle to assemble to the fuselage, again far better fit than the original parts. A quick priming, then masked and sprayed the inside Vallejo's Insignia White (it's not a pure white, but a slightly yellowy off-white, so looks weathered/faded), and the intake rim was done with Vallejo's new Metal Colour's Steel.

26502191694_6d90f2791b.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

Edited by Wee Beastie
  • Like 7

Arrrghh!! The dreaded fuselage assembly!!!! Actually, it went better than I'd envisaged. Having put some weight in the nose, I started gluing from the nose, and worked my way to the rear. Just gluing a bit at a time, then clamping/taping, then a bit more, so on, and so forth. Once that was done, I went around the fuselage again, and re-alighned bits that moved......then I just left in a dark corner, and hopefully some witchcraft will have happened!! :rofl:

26502199094_8a44bd4027.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 5

Looks good Ian those intakes do look good to like you said the detail is very nice.

Guy

• Like 1