Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:72 MisterCraft

Julien

Hawker Tempest Mk.V
1:72 MisterCraft

t01.JPG

The Tempest was designed by Hawkers to address some of the performance issues with the Typhoon. The wingspan was originally greater than the Typhoon but this was clipped back to be slightly shorter. The wing was changed with the cannon being moved further back. Ammunition capacity was expanded to 200 rounds per gun. The landing gear was given a wider track to improve landing characteristics. The new wing and four bladed propeller was to cure the high frequency vibrations problems suffered by the Typhoon. With a top speed of 432mph it was faster at low level than other propeller aircraft. The Tempests great speed would make it an ideal aircraft to intercept V-1 flying bombs. Over 1/3 of V-1 shoot downs were attributed to Tempests. Just over 800 Mk.V aircraft were built.

The Kit
The plastic in this kit is from Heller and dates back to 1978. Those in the know say that the shape is correct, and better in shape than some other kits. The kit arrives on four smallish sprues of light grey plastic. The mould look to have held up well. Construction starts with attaching the spinner to the propeller. Next up the prominent radiator is assembled. Following the it pilots seat is attached to the rear bulkhead/armour and the cockpit floor (though this seems missing in the instructions!). Construction then moved to the main landing gear. The wheels are added to the leg and the gear doors attached. The streamlined underwing tanks are next built up.

t02.JPG

Now that the various sub assemblies are built up construction can start on the main aircraft. The cockpit and radiator are installed, along with the instrument panel, and the fuselage can be closed up. Once this is done the propeller is attached with the backing part inserted through the wing aperture. The wing is then made up which is of a conventional one part lower, with left/right uppers.

t03.JPG

t04.JPG

Once the wing is attached to the main fuselage the landing gear and tanks can be attached along with the tail wheel, tailplanes and canopy. Just a note on the instructions, don't be alarmed that they look to be for an Su-17, strange but it appears there has been a printing error and you get both a set of instructions for this kit, and the Su-17 as the Su-17 construction diagrams are on the back of the Tempest cover sheet/decal diagram and visa versa.

t05.JPG

Markings
Markings are provided for 3 aircraft.
  • Wing Commander P Closterman JV732.
  • Wing Commander R Beamont JN732.
  • JN766 RNzAF.
The decals look to be in register, the SKY codes look a little dark to me and the tail bands will need to be matched to these. All bands and stripes will need to be painted. There is a set of White aircraft codes on the decal sheet but no reference to these on the instructions.

t06.JPG

Conclusion
This is a good looking kit of the Tempest Mk.V, recommended.

Review sample courtesy of
logo.jpg UK distributors for logo.gif

• Like 5

Having half struggled with the Su-20 (like one or two others) from Mastercraft, now known as Mistercraft, and finding missing bits, incorrect instructions and wrong sized parts. I challenge you to build it next Julien and wish you well ;)

I remember my Heller Tempest from my late teens. It was a very decent kit apart from raised detail.

I dare to say that Academy changed only panel lines when they copied Heller Tempest.

• Like 1

I remember my Heller Tempest from my late teens. It was a very decent kit apart from raised detail.

I dare to say that Academy changed only panel lines when they copied Heller Tempest.

I thought that too (after all it's what they did with the Storch) but apparently it's not true. And the Heller kit is more accurate in outline (which makes it the best in scale). Others will no doubt be along to give chapter and verse.

• 10 months later...

Why are all Tempest kits comming with decals for an Closterman aircraft? It's like whenever you get an Spitfire you get decals for Johnnie Johnson as well...

/ André

I recently got hold of a copy of this. It's a nice reboxing of the Heller kit; in itself a lovely kit. It's available extremely cheaply if one looks around. 

T

The Heller kit, whichever box it's in, is still a little gem now, despite being 40 years old.  I've built quite a few.

The only real problem with the kit is that the u/c is almost scale thickness.  Guess which bit always goes first?

• Like 1

The same kit also came out in an Airfix boxing during the Humbrol ownership period of Heller and Airfix. It came with Roland Beamont markings in the Airfix version. It is indeed a nice kit -

XFIvRw3S.jpg

J4529ker.jpg

• Like 4

Airfix released the Heller Tempest twice.  Once in the "Aircraft of the Aces" boxes - can't remember the guy's name but the codes were EDM - and then in Beaumont's markings later.  It was on the box art and I think it was just at the start of the Hornby era in 2008, because we got the Vista Fulmar and PM Sea Fury in Airfix boxes at the same time.

It was a relief to get a Tempest V boxing without Clostermann in it!

EDM was New Zealander Wing Commander Evan Dall Mackie.

I don't think that the Revell Tempest came with Clostermann markings, but I'm not sure about the Frog.  If you are lucky you may be able to pick up the Almark transfer sheet for UK IPMS stalwart "Mac" McKennaugh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

The Heller Tempest V has also appeared in a Smer boxing.

I bough quite a few of those some years back as Wilkinsons had some of the Smer range in stock for 2 quid each.  IIRC, the Tempest and the Hurricane IIc were the only ones I managed to get.  Kit markings were for Beaumont and Closterman.

The Heller Tempest is a lovely kit, whoever's box it's in.  It's just a shame that fashion has dictated that recessed panel lines are the in thing, as it's now overlooked in favour of Academy's Tempest.  That's possibly a good thing as you can often pick up the Heller one far cheaper second hand!

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

@Graham Boak The revell did come with closterman markings in the latest issue as the box scheme :)

I've got a set of those markings somewhere and they're less use than a chocolate fireguard.  At least you can eat that!

Edited by The Wooksta!
Because I can!

33 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

I bough quite a few of those some years back as Wilkinsons had some of the Smer range in stock for 2 quid each.  IIRC, the Tempest and the Hurricane IIc were the only ones I managed to get.  Kit markings were for Beaumont and Closterman.

The Heller Tempest is a lovely kit, whoever's box it's in.  It's just a shame that fashion has dictated that recessed panel lines are the in thing, as it's now overlooked in favour of Academy's Tempest.  That's possibly a good thing as you can often pick up the Heller one far cheaper second hand!

I've got a set of those markings somewhere and they're less use than a chocolate fireguard.  At least you can eat that!

Whats wrong with them?

It's a nice little kit. I have the same kit in a Smer box. I bought it because I heard the Heller kit was more accurate than the Academy one.  Having compared both kits side by side I find the outlines to be identical and the Academy kit seems to be a more refined copy of the Heller kit  with nicely engraved panel lines and better cockpit detail along with separate exhausts and the only shape differences I can see is the opening for the radiator is slightly larger on the Heller kit but the radiator and intake detail is better on the academy kit.

I hope this info is useful. With a bit of TLC I think this kit looks like it will build into a nice model.

Regards,

Mark

On 21/04/2017 at 12:24, Graham Boak said:

but I'm not sure about the Frog. 

Im pretty sure I built Closterman's le Grande Charles (sp?) from Frog - with, IIRC rockets.  I'd bought the kit 'cause there was a built one with rockets in the shop and it looked pretty good to me - so that's the way I built it.

I now know rockets were not used on wartime Tempests.

I built this one circa 40 years ago. I remember it being by Airfix but it does not seem to have any panel lines, raised or engraved. As I was barely into using filler it seems unlikely that I would have sanded off any raised lines. Can anybody comment on which kit it might have been? I have a Typhoon of similar vintage which does (still) have raised lines. Regarding the Clostermann markings, I was happy to have them and I read his book as a young lad and found it enthralling.

Airfix%20Tempest_zpsg1mk5oc7.jpg

John

• Like 1

Without a shot of the wheel doors or bays, I can't be too sure.  The Heller one doesn't have the early longer Hispanos which that one does.  Possibly the Frog kit?

Pretty sure it's the Frog kit which came with markings for JF-E and JJ-N  (sorry, can't offhand remember the serials after 40-odd years) though I don't recall the longer Hispanos.

Think it was the Revell Tempest that came with rockets - and rivets!

• Like 1