Xtracolor alternatives

Hey,

I am a new guy in modelling and I´m asking myself for a long time some questions.

1. I am searching for a shop selling Xtracolor paints, I checked Hannants, Aviation Mega Store, Martola and Falsh-aviation.

2. Is there any way to get BA Blue X322, KLM Light Blue X302, Korean AIr Blue X308, Airbus Industrie Grey X359, MICA 1 X368, Virigin Atlantic Grey X367, Boeing Grey X301 and Corrogard X331?

3. When there aren´t a way, please let me know If there are any alternatives.

- Greetings from Germany

L.B. :coolio::bye:

Hi lunch box,

Xtracolor are a little bit difficult to get right now, though Hannants have indicated they will restock the range in due course.

I can help with some alternatives:

- Airbus and Boeing grey (some argue it's the same colour and it does look almost the same) can be matched quite well by Humbrol 147 or 196. Revell 371 can be lightened a little bit with white. Or you could just add a bit of black to white to achieve a close match

- Corrogard can be matched by Humbrol 56 which is actually a dark aluminium and not the bright shiny colour of the tin lid. Look for the UK made paint - it's rubbish but the aluminium can be darkened with a little dark grey. Or just add dark grey to any aluminium, Revell 99.

- KLM light blue. Add a couple of drops of white to Revell 50 I think. I was looking at their paints a couple of days ago and noticed that number 50 was quite a good match for KLM blue.

I'll add more when I check and others will hopefully help out with alternatives too.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

Thank you all :speak_cool: for the fast answers. I read in a lot topics, that Revell paints aren´t good.

Wasn´t that true, was it? :shutup:

Hi lunch box,

Try contacting Bernd Weber in Lorsch: http://www.take-off-lorsch.de/ . He has a good stock of Xtracolors and might have what you are looking for. Worth a try?

Good luck.

Another question is that a save shop? I am asking, because I made experience.

- your grateful L.B.

I find Revell paints are generally good. Their enamel range is great when thinned with cellulose thinners and the Aqua Color range is good too. Either use their own thinners or Ultimate Modelling Products airbrush thinner. Give the paint a real good mix in the thinner and spray lightly for the first couple of coats then build it up. Delivers a really nice smooth finish.

Humbrol stuff is rubbish. Terrible when it was made in China and even worse when production was brought back to the UK. Forget their acrylic paints - they're horrendous.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

I'm suffering from the Xtracolor stock problems too :(. Whilst I don't know anything about airliner colours I can recommend Revell enamels however. I spray them with either their own thinner or Mr.Color thinner and they are great, fine pigment, dry quickly and usually are pretty decent matches for any of the RAL codes I have used. Way better than humbrol imo and their gloss colours seem just as good as Xtracolor and dry a little quicker too. Never understood why they got a bad name from some places.

David

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

Thank you mirageiv for your little review.

Currently I am building an 777-300ER in the livery of Air India, but now I am on an exchange. This is the reason for spending no time for modelling.

Many Thanks to you. :thumbsup:

Is Humbrol (enamel) now good stuff or bad stuff?

Or only their acrylic?

-L.B. :coolio:

Their acrylics are bad. Quite a lot of their enamels aren't the best either. The tin of 147 I bought was thick and "sticky" but some of the paint was very thin and wouldn't mix with the thick stuff. I generally avoid Humbrol now.

I used xtra colors dedicated bea red and grey + plus the blue (speedjack era)

i found them sticky but liquid (more than humbrol gloss enamels) which allows

with a bit of thinner a good use with brush and airbrush.

The final result seams thick, solid and quite protective on the plastic I'll check how

the color evolves in time on the model (particularly the varnish in the paint)

Hey,

I tested some paint mixtures, for Airbus grey and no one matches very well, please help with that.

After a long time searching on the internet. I found no alternative to Virgin Atlantic Grey and MICA 1.

Is any body here who can help me with that?

Another question is, Are the "new" pledge good stuff for a top coat?

- L.B.