Albatros DIII. Revell 1/72 and Albatros DVa Airfix 1/72 OOB builds.

These are what they say straight out of the box with the kits decals. I have never posted a model on any forum ever so I will be interested to see what people think, good or bad obviously.

I have tried the wood grain effect with various techniques but mainly the traditional way of applying oil paint with a hogs hair brush over a pale cream base and then a coat of clear Tamiya orange over the to when it is dry - one month later! Ha!

61BF1AEA-76EA-45AE-B62D-B1B2FF070B80_zps

5538ED39-72B5-4396-9DDC-A84F8E5932B1_zps

5FCE0E92-CD82-424C-9F51-2188A86010D0_zps

• Like 20

Thank for your kind comments, even with small kits with a small number of parts (23 in the case of the Revell kit) it is difficult to know when to stop.

There are rigging lines missing from both but a person can only hold their breath for so long

The wooden fuselage is ok but I do wonder what the actual colour was of the original aircraft was?

I really like these two builds!

The models are tiny and the final result is even more deserving! Congrats on clean builds and a fantastic wood effect!

What I do when I do not want to wait days on oil paint, I take it out of the tube, straight onto a piece of cardboard. The oil is absorbed and as a result the paint eventually dries much faster!

Great show on your Albatrosses!

JR

• Like 1

Great stuff.The Airfix Albatros is a real "from the time dinosaurs roamed the earth" kit.Terrible struts,guns and full of ejection pin marks.Have one on the go at the moment.If it's half as good as yours I'll be well pleased.

• Like 1

Thanks Jean and glatisant. I will try your tip with the paper Jean.

I think the Airfix kit dates back to the late 1960's I know it is not the most accurate but these little kits are great canvases to try the wonderful markings of the Jastas.

I have just started the Roden DIII 1/72 a lovely little kit, flimsy parts and overly complicated like most Roden kits with vague instructions.

The woodgrain looks great! If you want to see how they actually looked, go to the Vintage Aviator (TVAL) site and take a look at some of theirs.

It's always nice to see 1:72 biplanes rigged, so many people get scared at the thought, and it really isn't that difficult!

Ian

• Like 1

Thank you eng, that is encouraging I like many work away on these little things in splendid isolation I have never shared what I do with anyone. I have looked at all the wonderful models produced on this forum and decided to see where I am with what I do.

I am pleased you like the wood grain Ian these two are my second and third attempt at it my only frustration is the week long dry time and the patience involved. I will look at the site you recommend.

The tiny biplane rigging is very addictive and surprisingly relaxing! I use the elastic thread which is brilliant a small twist drill, pointy tweezers, and very small strips of Tamiya tape - pre cut. You are right it isn't difficult - ha! It can't be I can do it.

Bear Paw, my hat is off to you, your Albatrosses are simply stunning. I like the Richthoffen one, makes a nice change from the all over red as most people show it. I have just joined the forum and like your self , I havenot shown my models to too many but after introducing a friend to the hobby, we have both joined not only the forum ,but our local modelling club, it's not as scary as I thought. Welcome to you Bear Paw.

Trev.

• Like 1

Not being an aficionado of Great War aviation, I can only admire the convincing effect that you've created. I couldn't care less what the acutal tone of the wood was, but admiring your models, it's clear to me that these machines were obviously constructed of wood. ;-)

Splendid work, really!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Thank you Kuro Nezumi I am glad you like it.

Thank Trev, that is very kind of you and I will post some more of my models as I complete them now.

Thank you Steve I was introduced to the wood grain technique from a magazine and tried on some plastic sheet, no body was more surprised than me when it resembled plywood grain!

Thank you Joachim, I will invest in another tube of oil paint so I can try and represent a paler tone of plywood. I am also practicing two tone wood effect propellers. The hard bit is the masking

Thanks Vince, I am glad you like them. I am pleased the photos are OK as I have stopped using a camera and just use my phone camera now. It is so much quicker and it works.

Thanks Woodo and the technique is not as difficult as you think. Messing about with the correct materials can produce results, like I said I can do it so it can't be that hard.

Andrew

Edited by Bear Paw