Constant Endeavour

Constant Endeavour

As I type this, the nation is marking the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Jutland. The outcome of WW1’s largest naval battle may have been indecisive, but it marked the final fleet action between battleships. Subsequent naval engagements have tended to be on a more tactical level, with small groups of hunters and killers at work. But one thing above all else changed the face of naval warfare. Air Power.

Once planes became more than string and sealing wax, they took new tactics and threats aloft with them. Nothing personified this more than the actions of the Banff Strike Wing, as it sought to deny the Axis powers the use of the Norwegian Coast and the North Sea for raw material transport.

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

ROYAL AIR FORCE 1939-1945: COASTAL COMMAND. © IWM (C 5212)IWM Non Commercial Licence

But they were not the only units operating from Scotland. Many other flights across the unforgiving North Sea also operated, and among these were the famous Mosquitos operated as fast transports, by BOAC.

BRITISH OVERSEAS AIRWAYS CORPORATION AND QANTAS, 1940-1945.. © IWM (CH 14389)IWM Non Commercial Licence

One of two memorials to the crews of Coastal Command is situated in North Berwick

27348500326_a0aa680171_c.jpgRAF Coastal Command Memorial by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The text of the memorial reads:

TRIBUTE TO ROYAL AIR FORCE COASTAL COMMAND IN SCOTLAND

During the Second World War, aircraft of Royal Air Force Coastal Command operated from the 27 Scottish bases depicted on this map display under control from a headquarters at Pitreavie Castle in Fife. The British Isles presented a physical barrier to the submarines and ships of the German Navy, around which they had to navigate before they could operate against Britain’s vital shipping lifelines across the Atlantic Ocean. The first task of the maritime and photo reconnaissance squadrons, operating from these bases, was therefore to search for and attack enemy submarines and warships attempting to sail around the north of Scotland or through the Faeroes-Iceland gap.

Patrols from bases on the East Coast also swept out across the North Sea towards the coasts of Norway and Denmark on reconnaissance and anti-shipping strikes in the face of fierce opposition against German convoys sailing down the Norwegian coast. Others, took off from the West Coast and flew far out into the Atlantic constantly searching for U-boats and raiders deployed to attack our convoys carrying food, war materials and men to Britain from Canada and the United States.

German naval units were also based in Norway, following the occupation of that country, making the tasks of Coastal Command yet more difficult with its aircraft operating over the inhospitable waters of the far north, to stop the U-boats reaching the Atlantic and also to support our convoys sailing to Russia round the north of Norway. Among other roles, the meteorological squadrons, operating at long range over the Atlantic in all weathers, were pivotal to the success of Bomber Command and in preparing for the Allied landings in Normandy in 1944. While the Air Sea Rescue launches, deployed around the Scottish coastline, played their crucial part in the rescue from the sea of airmen and seamen, both friend and foe.

In their long and demanding patrols across the featureless expanse of the ocean searching for the enemy, the crews of Coastal Command faced danger not only from enemy attack, but also from extreme weather. In contributing to the Command’s overall task, and its magnificent record of 189 submarines sunk and a million tons of enemy shipping sunk or disabled, many made the supreme sacrifice. But by their courage and perseverance - as for those of a later Cold War age - they helped preserve the freedoms we now enjoy.

The self-sacrifice of the crews of all units was enormous, and my humble skills will, I hope, produce some fitting tributes to them all.

Some of the raw materials can be seen below:

27346490466_d692a3d7ef_c.jpgNext projects by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 11

I'm in for this one Jon :)

I went up to Macduff a couple of years ago with my dad and Banff is across a small river from there, it looked a lovely little town too but the airfield was well to the west of it at Boyndie - it's hard to imagine such a peaceful place being the source of such a concentrated amount of force.

The 25lb solid-shot rockets shown being fitted in a couple of the photo's were found to be as effective against shipping as the explosive type, but the 60lb HE rockets as supplied in the Airfix kit were used for flak suppression so if you are building a rocket Beau you can fit them with a clear conscience - alternatively the Tamiya Mosquito FBVI/NFII kit contains the solid shot rockets... and of course none of the foregoing is relevant if you are building a Torbeau :D

Looking forward to seeing your progress,

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

The 25lb solid-shot rockets shown being fitted in a couple of the photo's were found to be as effective against shipping as the explosive type, but the 60lb HE rockets as supplied in the Airfix kit were used for flak suppression so if you are building a rocket Beau you can fit them with a clear conscience - alternatively the Tamiya Mosquito FBVI/NFII kit contains the solid shot rockets... and of course none of the foregoing is relevant if you are building a Torbeau :D

There's a FBVI on its way to me, so the plan is to do one each Torbeau and rocket equipped.

• Like 3

Hmm interesting to see that whoever built the Beau on the cover of the "Beaufighter Squadrons in Focus" book made as neat a job of fitting the nosecone as I did on the Airfix kit :D

I got my dad the Banff Strike Wing book for Christmas, it's a good historical overview but perhaps less useful as a modelling resource.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

But they were not the only units operating from Scotland. Many other flights across the unforgiving North Sea also operated, and among these were the famous Mosquitos operated as fast transports, by BOAC.

BRITISH OVERSEAS AIRWAYS CORPORATION AND QANTAS, 1940-1945.. © IWM (CH 14389)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Not only Mosquitos were operated by BOAC on this service, but a variety of types, including Lockheed Super Electra, Hudson & Lodestar; Whitley, Liberator, Dakota; and occasionally Curtiss CW-20, a single York, and possibly a Lancaster.

Nils

• Like 1

I can't believe this project has been on the shelf of doom for 18 months, but I have made a tentative restart. The Airfix dogfight double box features this well known survivor of the "Black Friday" raid:

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph
ROYAL AIR FORCE COASTAL COMMAND, 1939-1945.. © IWM (CH 17875)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Since there seems to be no sign of RP rails in this immediate after action shot, I think I'll use this one as my Torbeau. The RP equipped one will be a 404 squadron machine for contrast. Note the camera nose, not sure if the kit features this or if I'll need to bodge scratchbuild one.

• Like 3