B-25 STGB Chat

Skids

Hello @Learstang ... I noticed in Tonyot’s thread you were looking for info about PBJ-1D’s. Were you looking for photo’s ? If so i have a pair one each of MB-1 & MB-3 

Ita07oX.jpg

6uffo43.jpg

As for conversions in 1/72 im not sure about. I have the parts to make one in 1/48 but its just a radar pod that is from another aircraft kit i plan to modify. 

Dennis

🔺 - Both photos were found online and all rights belong to the original owners. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I went Digging through my books. In Marine Mitchells by Jerry Scutts there were these 3 appendices. They give you serial #’s for all the PBJ’s and production #’s by type.

9E70OIe.jpg

Then there is types assigned to Squadron, with losses.9ur7aYN.jpg

Last up is color schemes and codes by type and unit. 

sBL2H7q.jpg

Two more appendices. 

IE14zxp.jpg

Two more appendices. 

IE14zxp.jpg

anrFNOH.jpg

Hope these help someone. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To anyone interested in doing the pinnochio nose PBJ-1D or 1J i found this while researching something else. http://www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk/pbj-1d1j-mitchell-radar-nose-72-927-p.asp

Its a conversion kit from a company in the U.K. I have 0 connection to the company. Its presently out of stock, but someone might have one floating around out there ?

Dennis

My resistance to Group Builds is low at the moment so I'm going to join in. The question is, which one to do?

This one,

20180427_202246

or this one?

20180427_202303

Pros and cons:

1) the solid-nose  B-25J wasn't used by the RAF  (as far as I'm aware) and I only do British aircraft or aircraft use by the RAF

2) but it's a splendid kit.

3) the Italeri kit isn't as splendid as the Revigawa one

4) but it has an option for an RAF plane

5) the Italeri kit isn't as splendid as the Airfix kit (which I won't be able to resist, should I find one in my LHS)

6) the Revigawa has some rather natty schemes.

Decisions, decisions.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2018 at 8:32 PM, Beard said:

My resistance to Group Builds is low at the moment so I'm going to join in. The question is, which one to do?

This one,

20180427_202246

or this one?

20180427_202303

Pros and cons:

1) the solid-nose  B-25J wasn't used by the RAF  (as far as I'm aware) and I only do British aircraft or aircraft use by the RAF

2) but it's a splendid kit.

3) the Italeri kit isn't as splendid as the Revigawa one

4) but it has an option for an RAF plane

5) the Italeri kit isn't as splendid as the Airfix kit (which I won't be able to resist, should I find one in my LHS)

6) the Revigawa has some rather natty schemes.

Decisions, decisions.

I would love to see you build the revell one, it may not be RAF but it will definitely look cool!

Rob

p.s. Looks like you got it for a bargain as well!

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

A question about the rocket rails that the PBJ:s used

Are they the same as on other US Navy aircraft?

I might be able to scrounge something then, since the picture above shows MB9 with rails.

Perhaps not called rails, but zero length launchers?

Putting my build on hold!!!  No thanks to someone at the yellow fronted 'BIG H' sending decals I did not want instead of those I did want...

I emailed them pronto on Saturday telling then me having received and discovering they sent Hornet decals and not roundels!!! Today I expected a reply email but zilch! so another went winging their way and now will wait to see what happens. Meanwhile I have arranged for the remaining decals I need for it and now waiting for those. I know there is still time but would like to get on with it as I am chugging along well with getting it towards the finish.

• Sad 1

Hello @Christer A ... I have a close up photo of the rocket installation on the PBJ. I will post it when i get to my office this evening. Heres a photo from my PBJ build showing what it looks like. w4tBFWB.jpg

As you see from this photo and the one I post later there is a length wise reiniforcing strip between the wing and the stubs. Yes they are zero length launchers like the corsair, hellcat, mustang would have used. 

Dennis

here are some from Google

J9U80Ly.jpg

rewnvEH.jpg

EqNTm5j.jpg

J9QiXn0.jpg

And one from my files. 

RRFfa8m.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is an interesting Mitchell from the films Mosquito Squadron/ 633 Squadron,.... as well as being the film aircraft it was also used in a scene to pick up and drop the agent into Norway;

mitchellbomberkb4.2659.jpg

mitchellbomber1pm5.961.jpg

mitchellbomber2bv6.4066.jpg

Here is a link showing it in its normal film livery;

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Film-Aviation-International-Aero-Associates/North-American-VB-25N-Mitchell/2503298/L

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some great build's ongoing here folk's I'm very impressed by the Airfix kit with Dermo sending me the decal's and the Frog kit a no go I'm

tempted,very tempted!.

On 26 May 2018 at 11:43 AM, stevej60 said:

Some great build's ongoing here folk's I'm very impressed by the Airfix kit with Dermo sending me the decal's and the Frog kit a no go I'm

tempted,very tempted!.

Well there still plenty of time left and the Airfix kit does look very nice.

Personally I think it would be rude not to Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Congrat's to everyone,I've just checked out the Gallery entries I've missed to date and ALL deserve praise for their finish and variety of scheme's

well done folk's!

• Like 1