Tamiya 1/24 Volvo 850 T5 Saloon

Thought I will make the Volvo I used to own out of the Tamiya model kit.

The saloon body was from a partly assembled model bought on ebay.
The interior is bought as spares also on ebay.

The major work including modifying the bumper donated from another preciously assembled estate version, scratch build the rear spoiler and head lamp wash wipe, manual gear knob, cut out the sun roof, cut and stick a right hand drive dashboard and modify the wipers to right hand drive version.

The paint is automotive spray paint in 604 Midnight Blue.

IMG_0926%20copy_zpsrg88ax33.jpg

IMG_0928%20copy_zpsl1xj49lw.jpg

IMG_0931_zpssa2axpot.jpg

IMG_0898_zpsjufytari.jpg

Please excuse the quality of the model, I'm still a novice so the paint work isn't perfect as you can see.

Thanks for watching.

• Like 4

Great model of a fast, but understated car. :goodjob:

Absolutely, when up to speed, the car is just as quick as a Subaru Impreza WRX of the period, and even has a higher top speed than the BMW 328i, and yet when talking about performance cars, people still only turns to either Japanese of German, it's a shame really.

I never did understand why Tamiya only made the estate in road form lol.

I've thought about doing a loon conversion too but not at the current prices lol.

Yours looks great.

Ashley

Thanks,

It is a no brainer to make the saloon version since not much new tooling is required... I suppose Tamiya thought the estates were cooler than the saloon.

Although I think the saloon is very well proportioned and a more handsome car than the estate (which I currently own one).

If you don't mind a bit of work there are used ones out there that goes quite a bit cheaper than the unassembled kits, plus some fo the parts you could still get from tamiya, like the glass parts.

• Like 1

Oh how I wish Tamiya had tooled a 480. I'd buy loads haha. I have a long run plan to scratch build one to build as a mini version of my own lol.

I've never been sure on the 850. I think I prefer the estate as the saloon just looks like a larger 460 to me lol.

Ashley

Oh how I wish Tamiya had tooled a 480. I'd buy loads haha. I have a long run plan to scratch build one to build as a mini version of my own lol.

I've never been sure on the 850. I think I prefer the estate as the saloon just looks like a larger 460 to me lol.

Ashley

Scratch building is a good idea, got to show that you own the car as you will find that there are some details missing even from high quality model companies like Tamiya as I find in the 850.

There are 1/43 models of Volvo 480s made by premium X or Triple 9, or atlas (the same tooling just different labels) seems to be fairly good, you might be able to modify it to look like your own.

I always think the 480s are cool cars but they were more of a DAF than Volvo..

The 460 were facelifted to look like an 850 to boost sales back in the days.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for volvo so I really like this build

Shaun

Thank you :)

Yes I have a minichamps 1/43 as it's the closest off the shelf to mine. But I'd like something larger to add all the details and rare options I've got.

I think the 400 series are more Renault than anything haha. Though they were built in the old DAF factory lol. I have a soft spot for the pre facelift 440 even it they do weigh a couple hundred Kgs more than the 480's lol.

I think I'll have to make a start on my BTCC 850's soon lol.

Ashley

• Like 1