Oh brother not another!

So as promised I am joining this GB! I can't stand ideally by while everyone builds an 88, especially as most are building the same kit I have!

So you guessed it.... tonight Matthew, I will start building.... the 1/72 revell ju88 a4. (Actually I started building it last night....)

So the kit!

27286337981_beb95939af_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Box art you all know and love

27259029892_7d94049255_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And the scheme I would like to do... I did have to put some real thought into this choice, I am currently re reading Roald's going solo (he would have been 100 this year) with the kids and thought of doing the Greek option, however the the sicily option won out as a) I will be doing the chaps that fired at it in the MTO GB b ) the Greek scheme is to late for when Roald was in Greece c) I prefer it d) did I mention it had a link to malta and I pretty much love anything to do with the place and e) it operated not far from where me and the wife had our honeymoon... rude not to

26750488663_58eeddfa46_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Last night I opened the box to take pictures and had the overwhelming urge to start something on it. I, for reasons completely unknown to me, started and completed masking the glazing by hand with tamiya tape..... half way through I regretted this, it was about the time the blade went straight through the tape, glazing and into my finger. Looking at it, it will be covered by paint once painted so hopefully I will get away with it 😕

Stix is having and influence on me, I have prepped parts before I need them and then sealed them away for safe keeping!! Does this mean my models will look like his now....

Anyway, there may not be much progress on this as the cockpit scares me and I want to move ahead with my hellcat (and tiny buffalo mate) so I can focus on this.

Cheers for dropping by

Rob

• Like 10

A very good start and welcome Rob! I can understand the lure of the Med that easily associates with Ju 88:s, quite numerous and colorful as they were in that theater (no need for whitewash, though 😊).

• Like 1

Hi Rob!

It's great you finally start yours :) I'll be following with interest. Hope your finger is not too bad... I cut a finger with an x-acto blade once and it really was nasty...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see all the interpretations of the revell 88 together in this G/B . I too like anything with a link to Malta ( born there ) and visit often .

well I can understand your interest! I would have loved to have a connection with somewhere like that, did you live there long?

It's a fascinating island with so much history and so many different influences! But my main focus is the siege of Malta in the early half of the war, there are so many interesting individual stories, as well as the store of what the island as s whole went through..... What's not to like!

After the MTO I may try and do a few of the chaps that attached the place as at the moment I have only done hurricanes and spitfires....

Cheers for the kind words chaps, I will also be tagging along with all of your cracking builds, in fact I already am!

Rob

Oh and my finger is ok chaps thanks for asking, it was a pointed blade so just stabbed me in the middle finger.... Nothing a shouted profanity couldn't sort out!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Hi Rob. Glad the finger is okay. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Hi Rob

Great stuff, of course you do realise that you could get a Purple Heart for that wound if you were a yank in service.

Starting with the masking is very brave, I have abandoned builds when the masking got the better of me, so that's the hard bit done then.....

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob

Great stuff, of course you do realise that you could get a Purple Heart for that wound if you were a yank in service.

Starting with the masking is very brave, I have abandoned builds when the masking got the better of me, so that's the hard bit done then.....

Cheers Pat

Cheers pat! I don't know what came over me.... Evidently it has now broken me as no further progress has been made!

Actually it has a lot more to do with two kids and a wife with chest infections, wife starting her own yoga business, change of line manager at work and just having a lot to do!! I feel like I have no spare time at the moment which is frustrating. I intend to make time this week so finguers crossed!

In other news there has been a spitfire and hurricane at staverton airport this week, everyone appears to have seen them bar me! I drive past the place everyday! Then after a long day at work I my little girl, 6, comes running up to me screaming that she has seen a spitfire over Malvern, very low with a hurricane, in her words 'so low I could see the details daddy!!! And the circles and letters and everything!! I think it was a mk9!!!' (The last bit is an unreliable statement as she only ever refers to a spitfire mk9 as she is aware there were pink ones! )... She also forgot the codes on them.... And apologised on mummy's behalf as mummy didn't get her phone quick enough....

This was very cute and it made me very happy that she was so interested and excited.... But a bit of me is really feeling 'great even they got to bloody well see them and I didn't'. Is this wrong of me?!

Anyway here's to farther a day and a happy one to all of you AND to actually making some progress on my three current builds!

Rob

Edited by rob85

Fingers crossed for the week Rob.

I think the Spit and Hurri might be the BoB ones attending Weston this weekend. The 'Arrows' flew across the back field yesterday - impressive, but not as impressive as your daughter's aircraft recognition - good girl!

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for the week Rob.

I think the Spit and Hurri might be the BoB ones attending Weston this weekend. The 'Arrows' flew across the back field yesterday - impressive, but not as impressive as your daughter's aircraft recognition - good girl!

I thought this may have been the case Ced! I do love the arrows I bet the looked good streaking across the sky! I'm looking forward to fairford... I'm not going! But the aircraft on show tend to fly in over Malvern in the weeks leading upto and from the show, last time had a great view of the BofB dak flying low over the local co-op...

She does love aircraft and points them out whenever I am near her, as does the boy but he has an eye more for destruction of the models! But he still thinks they are cool... Which is cool!

They girl like to ask a lot of questions about aircraft and my models, she also likes hearing stories from wwii! Both of them have cracking memories so that helps them out!

I will pass on the comments as she will be proud of that!

Rob

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Actual work has been done!

Cockpit and painted and put together!

28185623102_4d746c74c8_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

So that's a start! Few more bits added then painted

28255478096_395457055a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Then a shot of the detail work, well dry brushing of a lighter grey t bring out the details as everything appears to be grey ☺

28185598322_23c21625a4_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Top is dry brushed and the lower hasn't to show the difference

28211122231_77c72f510d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Seats in and final bits added, apart from the one that pinged off never to be seen again!

27674027183_936df71b60_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Few bits need a touch up!

28255445166_443a6c34e5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Seat belts on but need a wash to tone them down! Also taken with a flash to show up some detail, not my best work to be fair

And here is where we got to...

28255450686_fe441f9043_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

I have to say at this point my hat goes of to the chaps adding to this cockpit detail, especially jamie! I don't know how you do it, yes it adds to a build but it will be some time until I build up to something like that.... I had enough trouble with the detail in the kit!

After this I wanted to paint my hellcat starting with the EDSG.... but I spilt my only pot all over the kitchen...

So next up will be getting the rest of the CP finished off then start on some of the larger assemblies together.

Cheers all

Rob

• Like 5

That's good progress Rob, nice work B)

Take a good look at the cockpit mate, I'm afraid you won't see much of it once the canopy is fitted :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

What! You mean looking at something that is grey on grey with a bit of grey through a thick angled pit of plastic that has big green lines on isn't the best way of seeing lots of details!! Dam it why didn't I know this 😃. You are of course completely right stew, as my father in law would say, 'sweet felicity Arkwright' will be visible! But we know it's there 😃

Cheers for the comments chaps! Now work (Ced you and I had a chat about being a nice guy as a manager when you popped to the store, unfortunately I have had to change tactics and be a bit of a git to a couple of management that needed it! Back to being nice now! ) and home life is a bit more in check I can get on with my builds!

Cheers

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

Hi Rob!

Good progress! The cockpit turned out very well with the dry brushing highlighting the detail. The detail OOB is very good. I'm just detail-obsessive, hence all the PE trouble I endure :) But Stew is right: once the canopy is in place, most of it won't be noticeable. However, as you say, "we know it's there" :)

Looking forward to further progress.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

Hi Rob!

Good progress! The cockpit turned out very well with the dry brushing highlighting the detail. The detail OOB is very good. I'm just detail-obsessive, hence all the PE trouble I endure :) But Stew is right: once the canopy is in place, most of it won't be noticeable. However, as you say, "we know it's there" :)

Looking forward to further progress.

Cheers

Jaime

To be honest Jamie I enjoy detailing the cockpits, weather it can be seen or not! And I would like to move it forward in the future, I still plan on over hauling and airfix catalina... But maybe not this year!

Thanks for the comments!

Rob

• Like 3

Agreed Jaime, Rob; I like to paint the details in the cockpit too and it really doesn't matter to me if I can see them afterwards as long as I feel I have achieved something at the time :)

Plus, with photo evidence on Britmodeller, in some ways the detail can be seen afterwards :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

+1 here - I really enjoy poking around with the internals and producing something that looks like a realistic cockpit, even though it may not be 'accurate'.

'It's the journey'. Sorry, bit early in the morning.

• Like 3

Right so if you can believe it...... there is more progress

I have managed to get the cockpit all done and attached to the fuselage

27699648354_297ee1ecb4_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Little bomb aimer bit, I have added seat belts after this pic

28315865485_06e336fd49_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And there is the seat belt added, and the floor added to the cockpit

28211858662_4c9ad5930a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Then the lower transparency added, I did this using a clear craft glue, it dried clear but it's hold is ok but not great. ... yes ced you are correct, gator grip should be invested in and I should stop being cheap....

28237205331_abf20d8b94_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Tail wheel gear on waiting for the rest to be added at a later date.

27700088163_71f98ffc40_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And the fuselage popped together! Looking bigger now

28228442902_1958b9b773_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

The other bits assembled including the gondola and IP (I will jest give it a dry brush)

27699610954_c4eeef74c8_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And that's where we are up to chaps!

I will say something about this kit, and it is a negative! The detail is lovely but there are just far to many steps the the cockpit area, I really feel this could have been simpler!

Rob

• Like 4

I'd call it a bit of progress, Rob! :)

It's great seeing things shaping up! I agree there's some complexity to this kit but it's possibly unavoidable, as this was a very complex aircraft. I still have to reach the cockpit assembly phase, though.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1