IWM Duxford American Airshow 28 - 29 May

Jonny

Just an aside, but I was booked to go on a coach trip to RIAT on July 9. Today the coach operator phoned to say cancelled, too few bookings.

THe good-ish news is I've booked Duxford instead. As a Friend of Duxford I get a good discount on tickets but I was DELIGHTED to see car park tickets must be requested but at NO COST!.

Perhaps they are listening! Mind you, this is a TFC show, not IWM. IWM charged for my carpark toicket for the last show of this year.

They are indeed listening and aware of the feedback from the May Airshow. Whilst for that they put on more buses to Cambridge and Royston railways stations to offer an alternative, they are now fully aware of the preference for people to go by car and I think will adjust accordingly.

It shouldn't be forgotten that the reason behind both the car parking ticket and charge has been the increase in payment (costing several thousand £'s) to police and local agencies for traffic management.

The Tank Bank at Duxford is being closed off for Legends and the flightline at the jet pan is being brought forward to be in line with airliner row.

Guy

The Tank Bank at Duxford is being closed off for Legends and the flightline at the jet pan is being brought forward to be in line with airliner row.

Guy

Has there been an official announcement then?

From there Facebook page.

Important announcement from The Fighter Collection.

This year, air shows around the UK including the Flying Legends Air Show, have been subject to additional regulations regarding flying display permissions.

To enhance your visitor experience at this year’s Flying Legends Air Show, run by The Fighter Collection, we will be moving the crowdline forward in the central area of the museum site.

To achieve this increased capacity in the central viewing area, we have had to make some difficult decisions, which has ultimately led to the Land Warfare end of the site not being a permitted viewing area from Wednesday 6 July onwards and for the entire weekend of the Flying Legends Air Show.

There will be a small amount of sterile car parking which will be clearly designated. For safety reasons, visitors won't be able to return to their cars in this area until after the flying display has concluded. Please assist us by complying with instructions from staff at the air show.

We hope that you’ll understand the reasons behind these changes and we trust you will have an enjoyable Flying Legends Air Show.

Maps of the public layout will be posted soon.

Guy

Why bring this in for Legends and not the May show what has changed ??

Guy

Just an aside, but I was booked to go on a coach trip to RIAT on July 9. Today the coach operator phoned to say cancelled, too few bookings.

THe good-ish news is I've booked Duxford instead. As a Friend of Duxford I get a good discount on tickets but I was DELIGHTED to see car park tickets must be requested but at NO COST!.

Perhaps they are listening! Mind you, this is a TFC show, not IWM. IWM charged for my carpark toicket for the last show of this year.

From what I have read elsewhere, TFC has added the £5 parking fee to the ticket price, so everyone will pay it even if they come as 4 in one car, or as I usually do, by the courtesy bus from Trumpington. Bit of a con if you ask me.

From what I have read elsewhere, TFC has added the £5 parking fee to the ticket price, so everyone will pay it even if they come as 4 in one car, or as I usually do, by the courtesy bus from Trumpington. Bit of a con if you ask me.

For the May Airshow, Duxford put on extra buses from Royston and Cambridge and charged separately for car park passes to address this very issue. They got lambasted across social media and forums for that!!!! I feel sorry for them in that whatever they do it's wrong!

Edited by Agent K
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought tickets on line a month or so ago for Flying legends on the Saturday.

I got a free parking ticket for buying in advance and discount 'cos I'm an old git.

It's five years or more since I was last there and was looking forward to seeing

the tank bank as well as the aircraft. I was also planning on taking a coolbox of

nosh to leave in the car for lunch. Will we be 'allowed' to go back to the car to get it?

I'll be there with my son, both of us should have big smiles on our faces once

the flying starts. Give us a wave if you see us!

Depends on where you park? They've done this at Waddington I believe when The Thunderbirds turned up and if it's a no go area it really is a no go area!

Edited by Toe

Depends on where you park? They've done this at Waddington I believe when The Thunderbirds turned up and if it's a no go area it really is a no go area!

You are quite correct about the Thunderbirds at Waddington. The required sterile area was cleared and strictly enforced for the duration of the team's display. Once it was over you were free to return to your vehicle.

I suspect (but don't know) that the sterile area of parking will be the fields at the far Western end beyond the tank bank and the Land warfare museum. If you've been driving out that end and seen traffic joining from your left, that's the area I mean. In years of attending DX I've never been parked there and I assume its one of the later areas to be filled up.

If you want to guarantee access back to the car my advice would be to arrive fairly early and you will almost certainly be parked by the American museum (although early is good for a whole lot of other reasons too). The only caveat to the above is that I've not been to DX this year and assume they haven't started parking people in a different order.

Steve.

If that's the worst of the changes to the display post-Shoreham, I'll be quite happy. We have our tickets for both days and are looking forward to a good display uninterrupted by self-absorbed people crossing barriers into the sterile area causing displays to be halted.

• 2 years later...

Do you want to know why Duxford airshows are getting rapidly worse and are no longer good value for money?

Two words... Management Arrogance.

There's also a rumour going around that - in the long term - "they" want to get rid of airshows, but I have seen no real evidence to support this (yet). 

Chris.   

15 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Do you want to know why Duxford airshows are getting rapidly worse and are no longer good value for money?

There's also a rumour going around that - in the long term - "they" want to get rid of airshows, but I have seen no real evidence to support this (yet). 

Chris.   

If thats the case , no airshows a lot of airfields will close then get sold for building on .  Scary thoughts!!!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, Paul J said:

If thats the case , no airshows a lot of airfields will close then get sold for building on .  Scary thoughts!!!!!!!!!

I really hope that the rumours are wrong, believe me. 

Chris. 

• Thanks 1

"Do you want to know why Duxford airshows are getting rapidly worse and are no longer good value for money?

There's also a rumour going around that - in the long term - "they" want to get rid of airshows, but I have seen no real evidence to support this (yet). "

I'm interested to know your argument for management arrogance? and getting rid of airshows, obviously fact, not fiction or hearsay of whuch there is too much from the armchair warrior brigade.

As IWM Duxford has it's governmental budget reduced so in 2010 it will be less than 50% of that in 2010, then everything has to pay so of course Airshows along with all other IWM activity will have to be reviewed, but I'm sure there are no plans to stop airshows just yet (in fact my view I think they've improved over the last few years too).