Revell Antonov An-124

Hi all,

I've done a search but can't seem to find any other threads on this kit. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. I am building it now, and am getting to the big assembly stage - fuselage, wings, nose cone, etc. I have discovered that the fit of this kit is absolutely atrocious. Like it it so bad that it is actually difficult to get pieces to go together. I have done some test fitting by just taping it together, and thought I would consult here before actually gluing.

Right now I am using Revell Contacta glue, but is there something better to use for big, high stress parts like this. (each wing is nearly 30cm long and puts a ton of stress on the joint)

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

I was building the 124 when it had an unexpected crash that hammered the main gears. I put it aside and it's been sitting for over 6 years. But I don't recall any of the fit issues you mention.

As for adhesives, my go-to for styrene is the original Micro Weld, aka dichloromethane. It's a solvent that quickly melts the contacted parts and literally fuses them together. For higher stress

areas like the wings, I'd consider using 5 minute epoxy. The setting time is long enough to allow for dihedral adjustments and the bond is rock solid.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I read some articles about this kit and everyone praises it for accuracy,fitting and all the options one has to build with this kit.

Also the decals should be very high quality.

I have it in my stash as well,but did not yet getting around starting it

I am buiiding this AN now, because of the size, it is difficult to match the parts, also they need extra adjustment, the wings were cut from the feature to fit in the fuselaje, I did put screws to get stronger.

However I am enjoying ... I am planning to add the details inside the noise cone, it is empty.

Regards.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jason,

I am just building this kit.

My example has very good fit,(it require dome dry fitting before gluing, but generally OK) I used Contacta for whole model except some areas like cargo doors and front section, where I used super glue and then to keep lines where are this parts connected to the fuselage super glue remover to make this connection lines slightly visible as they are noticable on the real aircraft(no need to rescribe as that remover is slightly removing super glue from the connection area too.

Martin