1:72 Revell Fokker D VII OTB

I really enjoyed my first foray back into plastic modelling for 30 odd years with my 1:72 revel F.1 Sopwith Camel (see Ready for inspection if interested). So much so that I decided to make a couple of adversaries for it. Here is my second model, a Fokker D VII out of the box with no additions and in the livery of Ja Sta 11, 1918, Obit. Rudolph Berthold. Please feel free to comment good or bad as I have so much to learn. I hope that you enjoy it.

Deano :coolio:

IMG_4186_zps6syfhn5x.jpg

So far, so good.

You are the first person I have ever come across who has actually painted the lozenge pattern on the Revell D VII. You are evidently a patient man. Now you need to do the rib tapes! :popcorn:

• Like 1

So far, so good.

You are the first person I have ever come across who has actually painted the lozenge pattern on the Revell D VII. You are evidently a patient man. Now you need to do the rib tapes! :popcorn:

Thanks pal,

Actually enjoyed seeing it taking over. How would you suggest I do the rib tapes please?

Deano

Impressive display of patience! Aviattic lozenge decals are a much easier route, especially as they have "cookie cutter" (made to measure) sets for the D.VII!

Ian

• Like 1

Impressive display of patience! Aviattic lozenge decals are a much easier route, especially as they have "cookie cutter" (made to measure) sets for the D.VII!

Ian

Thanks so much for that buddy, I will bear that in mind for the future although I really wanted to do these little revells straight out of the box with no aftermarket additions. I'm sure that the decals give a neater job though. Lol.

Cheers

Deano

That's looking really good, especially the hand painted lozenge bits. Massive respect for that!

Martin

• Like 1

So far, so good.

I painted them on mine too, it was strangely theraputic...

• Like 1

Very impressive. Hand painted lozenges, wow. Incidently how did you do the black outlines? As for the rib tapes, a common technique at this scale is to lay a very thin strip of masking tape the width of the rib along each rib, then lightly mist the exposed wings with some Tamiya smoke X-19. This will darken the wings slightly ceating the impression of a lighter rib. As you are hand painting you could try masking the inside of each rib, and then brushing the exposed rib with powdered white soft pastel. This may have the effect of lightening the rib. If you don't like the effect simply wipe away with a damp cloth - be sure to give the wings a coat of klear (or similar semi-matt varnish) first though. I haven't tried this technique myself though, so sorry for suggesting you be a guinea pig. However, I think it has potential.

Whatever technique you opt for it will be slow and laborious. However, given you are a man who hand paints lozenges I'm sure this will be like another day at the office :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the tips regarding the wings and I will have a go. And yes, there are decal templates for the Lozenges which helps greatly, so long as they affix properly. I found them quite brittle after Micro-sol, also I should have primed and gloss coated the wings before applying the decal templates, as I struggled to get them to grab hold of the plastic straight off the sprue Lesson learned.

Thanks again.

Deano

Well done on painting the lozenge.That took some guts.Built a few of this venerable old kit and used lozenge decals of various brands,some good,some not so good.I don't think I'd have the patience to paint it!