How to paint a fuselage band on a Mustang IVa

krazyivan1942

My method would be paint the band colour and then using thin strips of Tamiya tape mask the width of the band at both edges. Thin strips with be easier to conform to the surface shape. Once that has been done then in fill with more masking tape. I haven't used the Tamiya tape for Curves yet so can't comment on that. Other methods of painting and masking are available though.

• Like 2

Yes, paint the band area first and make sure to seal the tape as described above.

One tweak, though. The sealer might bleed but if you seal with the band colour you won't be able to see it.

You might find paint ridges after removing the tape but they are easily dealt with - very fine sandpaper applied gently after the paint has cured (not just touch dry).

Edited by RJP

Thanks guys,

was thinking to do it as described, my concern was how to get around the surface shape and over the fin fillet to get a nice straight lines.

I'll cut some Tamiya tape into thin strips and then seal it with the band colour to prevent bleeding.

Edited by krazyivan1942

If there's too many curves for the standard Tamiya tape, try electric insulation tape, again cut in narrow strips. This is very flexible and can be adapted to some very tight curves, should work well on a 1/72 Mustang fuselage. Before using this tape, remove some of the adhesive, it's not meant for masking so there's the risk of peeling away some paint if too much adhesive is left on the tape.

Tamiya of course now has a flexible tape but I've yet to try it on a model

• Like 1

Not the best photo I have - the Sky band on my Tiffie has been sprayed and then masked using the Tamiya flexible tape - it was OK even between the reinforcement plates. I am really happy with the tape.

Tifband_zps8mql3off.jpg

I got some of the Tamiya flexible masking tape recently and used it on the Canberra that's in the WIP section. Highly recommend it for those difficult contours such as around the fin.

• 2 weeks later...