1/144 Roden British Airways Vickers Super VC10

Parts of it did escape,not sure what and where they ended up. Some parts went into the RAF stores system. There was another failed Super on the K4 contract ,that ended up on Filton's "Palm Beach". Thats their scrap compound across the airfield opposite the Brabazon Hangar. I can't remember exactly but about four ex BA VC10s died at RAF Abingdon 92/93.

Am I right in thinking that ZD233 and'239 were on the dump at Manston, the rear of one "mated" to the front of the other to represent a very long narrow body fuselage for the fire school to play in/with?

Just had a look on PPprune: the "Abingdon Four" were G-ASGB, 'GH, 'GI and 'GJ (ZD231, '236, '237 and '238 respectively) and it looks as though it could have been 'GR that fetched up at Palm Beach.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

Am I right in thinking that ZD233 and'239 were on the dump at Manston, the rear of one "mated" to the front of the other to represent a very long narrow body fuselage for the fire school to play in/with?

Just had a look on PPprune: the "Abingdon Four" were G-ASGB, 'GH, 'GI and 'GJ (ZD231, '236, '237 and '238 respectively) and it looks as though it could have been 'GR that fetched up at Palm Beach.

The one at Filton's scrap yard flew there and when I saw it,was in better nick than SGR. I know at least one made it to RAF Manston's school for arsonists.

• Like 1

SGF ended up at Manston via Brize,SGE went there via Brize and Catterick. SGK also ended up at Manston from Abingdon. I have a picture from the net that has SGE with a Hastings nose stuffed inside SGE's open ended fwd fuse,looks really wierd. PM me your email and I'll send it to you Steve as I'm not sure about any copyright restrictions.

We had four VC10s on the Brize scrapheap,late 80s/early 90s. Used to rob bits off them all the time. GF,GD,Gulf Air Standard G-ARVJ and another. All these last few scrapped VC10s ticked off the final 12 ish on the VC10s I'd been on,all 54 and did that in a mix of visits/flights and work at Heathrow,Weybridge,Gatwick,Hawaii,JFK,LAX,Brize,Abingdon,Kemble,Filton and Bruntingthorpe !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone, I'm glad everyone likes it as much as me!!

Mike, there is a notch on the inside of the nose cone so you shouldn't be able to put it on upside down or sideways! I can't understand why there's a separate nose cone but there you are.

Yes I did have to do a little extra cleaning of the fuselage mating surfaces, those gates really are chunky, David.

For your EAA Super John, you will need to add the small fences. Every photo I've seen has them on. They're really easy, just a small notch with a razor saw and some 5thou styrene sheet shaped with a sanding stick.

Really interesting history Vince, I had no idea about the hijacking!

Delta7, looking forward to seeing your entry in the Airliner GB. Which livery are you going to finish it in?

Can't find who asked now but the grey I used was Mr Color 315.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

Hello,Ian - Well,what can I add? A beautifully built,beautifully finished and beautifully displayed tribute to the 'VC-10'.A picture of elegance - just like the real aircraft!! I love it.;) All the best,Paul.

What an elegant aircraft, makes me wanna go get mine and build it. Will be difficult to decide between Ba, Raf, Boac and Bcal (there was this was one that had severe turbulence over the Andes and flew with a cracked spar back home without being noticed iirc). http://www.british-caledonian.com/BCal_ASIX_Andes.html

As you can see, a very inspiring build indeed! Great work, congratulations.

Thanks for more nice comments everybody!

Don't forget that G-ASIX was a standard VC10, Canalguna. Interesting story, just shows they were built to last.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

Mike, there is a notch on the inside of the nose cone so you shouldn't be able to put it on upside down or sideways! I can't understand why there's a separate nose cone but there you are.

Thanks Ian - I'm guessing I inadvertently removed the notch in my zealous sanding before applying the nose cone. ( Those were some seriously wicked gate thingies all along the mating surfaces. Anyway, guess I'll have the only Super VC10 with a perky little turned up nose.

Thanks for more nice comments everybody!

Don't forget that G-ASIX was a standard VC10, Canalguna. Interesting story, just shows they were built to last.

Cheers,

Ian

Oh thanks for the heads-up. Modellers concerning, the only difference between the two types was the length of the fuselage?

Oh thanks for the heads-up. Modellers concerning, the only difference between the two types was the length of the fuselage?

No,as far as appearences go the Stub wings,wing fences,beaver tails are different and the British United VC10s had different wingtips. Different Fin panelling to See the VC10 walkround on the Sultan of Oman's A4O-AB,link below,its ex BUA.

You're right on the Fuse length though,SIX is shorter,a Standard.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913050-vickers-vc-10/