ZTS Mikro 72 1/72 Yak-1b - ГОТОВО! Finished!

The cockpit looks good now John. The little gunsight is simple, economical and looks right. :thumbsup2:. I might have to copy you on that for my LaGGs when I get back to them, if that's ok? :hmmm:

I get a whiff of paint in this model's near future ;)

Best regards

Tony

John, the original Soviet gunsight would have probably been a PBP-1 gunsight (that's what it was on the Lavochkin fighters, and seemingly just about everything else the Soviets had with forward firing guns/cannons, such as the Il-2 [early versions], the Tu-2, etc.). Yours looks quite good!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

The cockpit looks good now John. The little gunsight is simple, economical and looks right. :thumbsup2:. I might have to copy you on that for my LaGGs when I get back to them, if that's ok? :hmmm:

I get a whiff of paint in this model's near future ;)

Best regards

Tony

Thanks, Tony - copy it? Yes, certainly - be my guest. Because you're so kind, I'll even excuse you from the licensing fee on the use of my clever invention! :lol:

John, the original Soviet gunsight would have probably been a PBP-1 gunsight (that's what it was on the Lavochkin fighters, and seeming just about everything else the Soviets had with forward firing guns/cannons, such as the Il-2 [early versions], the Tu-2, etc.). Yours looks quite good!

Regards,

Jason

Yes, PBP - of course. Thank you, Jason!

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 3

Finally, an update - the canopy is in place (still a bit of white glue residue there, but...), and I've applied what I hope is the last coat of primer! I have no other comments to offer; at the going rate of a thousand words each, the images can speak for themselves:

P1010022.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010024.jpg

There's still a few things I'd like to do before starting to paint - the canopy needs some more blending in, for example - but I think I'll have it wrapped up by September 24, if the Good Lord's willin' and the creeks don't rise, as I think I said at least once before...

John

• Like 4

Yeah, Steve, I guess I've made this look, well, just as difficult as it was. I don't blame you for waiting - not everyone is as rabid about the Yak-1b as I am. Thinking about it again, this is at least my fifth attempt to produce one, by one means or another. And I still haven't received that L&M resin fuselage that Tony tipped me off about, so there might be a sixth attempt in the not-too-distant future.

I hope that, if Brengun does produce a Yak-1b, they correct the narrow cowling they did on their Yak-1 kit - I e-mailed them about it, but received no reply.

Aftermarket Yak-1/-1b decals are not common if you don't like the kit options; there was a sheet from Authentic, but it's very difficult to find now. I'm hoping that Begemot will produce one of their mega-sheets for these aircraft now that we have the Brengun Yak-1 as well as the Amodel kit, and the possibility of a -1b from Brengun

I've just noticed that, at a current tally of 2,210, this thread has, amazingly, somehow, got the fourth-highest number of "views" in this group build (although 2.000 or so of those are probably just me being weird), so I offer my thanks to all those who were interested or curious enough to have a look! :worthy:

John

• Like 1

I've started with painting, using Akan aqueous acrylics applied with a brush. The images show the underside completed in AMT-7; the upper surfaces are in AMT-11, with a third coat upcoming. FWIW, I find brush application to work well with these paints if you're willing to thin it a lot and apply several coats. The AMT-11 appears a bit greenish in the photo; that's just a trick of the light. As a background, I've used one of the illuminations from the sacred texts of Saint Zbigniew of Skrzydla:

P1010024_1.jpg

P1010022_1.jpg

September 24 is less than a month away! I hope I make it... :lol:

John

• Like 3

Looks great to me.....I'd love to see a chip of that green compared to the Tamiya XF-63 that I usually use for things Soviet (mainly on tanks obviously, but I understand the basic Soviet colours to all be pretty similar). :coolio:

Not only do they do 4BO, but they do a set that includes with it green primer, 3B dark green, 6K dark brown, 7K sand and white distemper. I've been using it on all my armour builds in this GB.

Another quick update - I've applied the second topside camouflage colour (AMT-12); it still needs a bit of cleaning up. I was hoping to have some decals in place, but my copy of the Authentic Yak-1/Yak-1b sheet is showing some yellowing, so I've got it taped to a south-facing window for a few days. Once I get the decals on and a satin clear coat over all, it should (I hope!) look a lot better. I'm already thinking about building another one... I just hope Begemot will eventually celebrate the release of the Brengun Yak-1 with one of their super-sheets, and include the Yak-1b in expectation of further Yaks from Brengun. My Authentic sheet is getting used up, and I'm not having much luck finding another copy.

P1010022_2.jpg[/url]

P1010024_2.jpg

TTFN!

John

• Like 7

Thanks, Sarge!

With less than a month to go, and the decals I'd normally be applying next still taped to the window to sun-bleach, I thought I'd get busy on the landing gear. Here's an image of the landing gear doors which I've decided to use, from the excellent Part 1/72 Yak-1M photoetch set (the Yak-1b in Polish service was referred to as the Yak-1M; Part is a Polish company). The ones on the left show the inner face details, the ones on the right, the outer face. Now for some primer...

P1010022_3.jpg

John

Thanks, Jason!

I've added the landing gear, retraction mechanisms, and doors. The delicate and very detailed retractors was one of the reasons I chose to replace the ZTS wings with those from the Amodel Yak-1. I know, I know - "delicate" and "very detailed" in the same sentence as "Amodel"? Well, my photo doesn't do them justice, but you really have to see these parts; they do need some careful cleaning up, but the result is very impressive. The Yak-1 is one of Amodel's best kits and in some ways, including accuracy, I'm afraid it's actually better than the recent Brengun Yak-1, although that won't stop me from building several of the Brengun kits, or from buying any succeeding kits which Brengun may release in a series of Yaks, if it comes to that (I hope!!!).

P1010022_4.jpg

P1010023_1.jpg

John

• Like 4

Hi John,

Apologies, I didn't jump ship, I just spent some time in hospital. I'm catching up today and just caught up with your Yak 1b.

It looks stunning :thumbsup2:. It really is hard to believe that there is so much scratch-building there, the finish is smooth. It certainly looks very different to a Yak 1, especially around the nose/lower cowl.

Those 'bling' exhausts were worth it, the moulded in ones never seem to look quite right.

It seems the postage from L&M is still slow, it was for me too, but the kits got here eventually (an Avia BH-33 and a Potez 25), it was around 6 weeks. If you do decide to build a 1b with the Amodel kit and L&M fuselage I would be here with :popcorn: for the WIP!

:goodjob:

Best regards

Tony

Thank you, Sarge and Tony! Hey, Tony - I'm sorry to hear about your hospital time - I hope they treated you well and you're done with that! All the best;

John

(BTW, I've started applying decals; the Authentic ones cleaned up nicely after a couple or three days in the sunshine; I forgot that they're very brittle and I lost the under-wing stars but I have the same type of stars from other sources, so no harm done. I'll be using Microscale Liquid Decal Film from here on in! :lol: )

• Like 2