ZTS Mikro 72 1/72 Yak-1b - ГОТОВО! Finished!

Still no images - other duties are taking priority - but for Tony's entertainment, I must tell you that today I received the L&M resin Yak-1b conversion. It's more cleanly molded than I expected from the online images - not Prop&Jet quality, but pretty good. As I suspected, it appears to be based on the Amodel Yak-1, with the spine behind the cockpit cut down and the fin and rudder removed. I have to point out that the lower part of the cowling is unchanged from its Amodel parent, so it's only representative of the very earliest Yak-1b, if even that. There is a fairly well-known photo showing an early Yak-1b like this; in fact, it might even be the prototype. The discussion on IPMS Stockholm, dated though it is, might be of interest:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1997/02/stuff_eng_yak1confusion.htm

"Yak-1 1942 after changes of INB WSP (here starts Yak-1M variety)" is what to look for.

Here's an operational (or perhaps captured) early Yak-1b with the Amodel-type oil cooler housing shape; too bad the whole aircraft isn't visible and the inscription is not legible:

Yak_1b_early.jpg

One of the fuselage halves is a bit warped, but that should be easy to correct. Not one, not two, but three vacuformed canopies are included! There's a decal sheet with one option, "White 41" of 267 IAP with an interesting Cyrillic "Liberated Donbass" inscription, printed (it says) by Begemot. The decals are somewhat yellowed - maybe sunlight will work again - and the stars, which are the red outlined "Victory" type, are printed with yellow ink instead of white, so these would need to be replaced if I use the sheet.

Yak_1b_Liberated_Donbass.jpg

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 3

Yay it arrived! :thumbsup:!

Well, it wasn't exactly what you were looking for, but all the same it sounds like it is something that can be used? The paint scheme is nice, I like the inscription.

Many moons ago I built the ZTS Yak 1, I seem to remember a long clear piece and some sawing, to allow for a couple of variants. I wasn't very well connected hobby wise then, so didn't know how accurate/inaccurate it was (2004). I would like to make Polish variants again one day. It sounds like the 1b is the Polish 1M?

I wonder if Zvezda or ICM would be worth contacting to suggest making one? Along with the Yak 9 it seems to be a market gap :confused:.

Next time you make one John, it might be worth taking a silicon mould of the cowl area at least and then make a few resin copies of your own :thumbsup2:

All the best

Tony

Yay it arrived! :thumbsup:!

Well, it wasn't exactly what you were looking for, but all the same it sounds like it is something that can be used? The paint scheme is nice, I like the inscription.

Many moons ago I built the ZTS Yak 1, I seem to remember a long clear piece and some sawing, to allow for a couple of variants. I wasn't very well connected hobby wise then, so didn't know how accurate/inaccurate it was (2004). I would like to make Polish variants again one day. It sounds like the 1b is the Polish 1M?

I wonder if Zvezda or ICM would be worth contacting to suggest making one? Along with the Yak 9 it seems to be a market gap :confused:.

Next time you make one John, it might be worth taking a silicon mould of the cowl area at least and then make a few resin copies of your own :thumbsup2:

All the best

Tony

Hi Tony! Yes, I like those VVS inscriptions too; I'm always surprised that not more people are attracted to VVS GPW aircraft just because of that. I still have not gone any further with the decals on my existing build, nor have I yet tried to check the fit of the Brengun wings to the L&M fuselage.

The ZTS kit was actually pretty clever for its time - you are right - it has a long clear fuselage spine to convert what is a Yak-1b fuselage back to a Yak-1. The Yak-1b in Polish service was called the Yak-1M by the Poles; I don't know why.

I did contact Zvezda about a Yak-9; so far, no reply. A few years ago, I was suggesting a Yak-1b; Petr Musikant at AZ was interested for a while, but then seemed to have some kind of agreement with Fly that that company would do it instead. So far, nothing; I'm hopeful that Brengun will do a Yak-1b. I just hope they make some corrections relative to their Yak-1 if they do. ICM would probably just see it as a chance to reissue their old Yak-9... :lol:

Re making resin copies of a corrected cowling - yeah, maybe...

Cheers!

John

• Like 1

Surprise! After sunning them for a couple of days, the decals from the L&M Yak-1b conversion set cleaned right up, and I just couldn't resist using them:

P1010023_2.jpg

Still lots of cleaning up to do, as well as the canopy framework, the radio aerial wires and their mast, and a final overcoat of satin-finish clear. Oh, and you're only seeing the starboard side of the fuselage - I still have all the decals to do on the port side! :whistle:

Cheers;

John

• Like 4

Like it :thumbsup: ! Great idea to use the decals. Looking better and better all the time.

Handle with care the finish line is very close!

All the best

Tony

Finally, just in the nick of time, I'm as done as I'm going to get with this edition of my dream model Yak-1b. I'll do up a Gallery thread later, but here's a sample:

P1010033.jpg

The clear top coat is a bit shinier than I intended, but at least it's done. Now I'm plotting the next attempt at a perfect 1/72 Yak-1b...;)

John

• Like 4

Just caught up and I'm really impressed with how the model turned out, all the reshaping work really makes a difference, you've captured the subtle lines of the original beautifully.  :thumbsup:

Now what we need is a new Yak-9 to point you at!  ;)

Well done John :thumbsup2: !

That took a lot of hard work and attention to detail, and it's all paid off.

That final picture shows off the lines of the 1b really well.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Thank you, guys - I really appreciate the compliments! I really don't know why the Yak-1b appeals to me so much; as I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I've tried several times in the past to create one. This time I was successful, thanks to the opportunity presented by this GB - the sense of someone (or many someones!) looking over your shoulder can be very motivating! :lol:

John